Foster fail in progress.... that’s if I can get Sophie to approve...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
. I hope he isn’t really sick.
Me too!! ❣🙏

I'd try the shirt rub first. If that isn't enough this may help;

From valanhb ;
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest. This trick works when introducing cats into the household, and also when one of them has been to the vet and therefore smells different to the others who didn't go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That might help with the introduction. Vanilla is safe in case they ingest it, right? I got some stuff from Jackson Galaxy as well, I think it’s called peacemaker or something. To try and relax Sophie. I hope he doesn’t have kitty leukemia! 🥺
Me too!! ❣🙏

I'd try the shirt rub first. If that isn't enough this may help;

From valanhb ;
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest. This trick works when introducing cats into the household, and also when one of them has been to the vet and therefore smells different to the others who didn't go.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm keeping your baby in my thoughts and prayers ❤

If it were me, I'd use just a tiny amount, a drop or two on the back of the neck where they can't reach is likely enough :)

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG I am FREAKED OUT!!! I have ring worm!!!! I had what I thought was a bug bite and the yesterday it grew bigger and like a circle. I went to urgent care and they thought I had been bitten by a Lyme tick I got home, then overnight, while scratching, I found another one in my shoulder. I went again this morning and they used a black light. Yes. It’s ringworm!!!!! I feel sick! It’s not Lance, who is still at the vet. They checked him and his siblings and they have no lesions. It must have been the 2 tiny kittens I had for 24 hours on June, 14th. I tried to contact the rescue (who were not honest with me from the start) and they were so vague... hmmmm, no. I don’t think they do have it, but we have other kittens who have it.... your kittens are doing great, but they’re still at the vet... I don’t have their names... can’t tell you if it was the ones you took or not... anyway, it’s 99% chance it comes from them. I spent 6 hours cleaning today. Monday I’ll bring Sophie to the vet to get her checked. If she has it, it’ll be an absolute nightmare. Anyone has any tips on getting rid of this nasty thing ASAP?
I'm keeping your baby in my thoughts and prayers ❤

If it were me, I'd use just a tiny amount, a drop or two on the back of the neck where they can't reach is likely enough :)

Last edited:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I didn’t think about temporarily packing up all my nicknacks so that I don’t have to constantly clean them. It’s just so annoying. With this problem also comes the question: Is it safe/a good idea for Lance to come back? I do want to try adopting him, but if Sophie has it, I may have to isolate her to the bathroom/dressing room area while she gets treated and I disinfect the studio. I don’t have any other place to put Lance. Also, giving how sick he has been, if he comes back, he has a good chance of catching it too, if he doesn’t have it already. I’m not sure I can handle 2 infected cats. Ugh. I’m so mad! I think I’m going to tell them I need to wait until Sophie is seen by the vet and tested before I make a decision about him. It’ll give me time to ask questions to the vet about having Lance back here. This is SO frustrating. The timing couldn’t be any worse. 🥺

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I’m going to tell them I need to wait until Sophie is seen by the vet and tested before I make a decision about him. It’ll give me time to ask questions to the vet about having Lance back here.
This sounds like a great plan - I'm SO SO sorry!
Hang in there with this :vibes::hearthrob::hugs::hearthrob:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Took Sophie to the vet yesterday. They thoroughly examined her and she has no lesions nor visible spores on her fur. However, today I spotted one of her nails is all black and maybe a bit brittle, though it could just be that the outer layer is peeling. She doesn’t exactly allow me to touch her paws). So now I am freaked out. I might just bring her back. The vet said it was unlikely to be that. I have been cleaning everything like a lunatic! My lesions are improving though so it’s good. What isn’t, however is that poor little Lance is still at the vet. He’s been there since Thursday. He apparently still has soft stool. That’s all I know. Ugh. What a summer!
This sounds like a great plan - I'm SO SO sorry!
Hang in there with this :vibes::hearthrob::hugs::hearthrob:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So Lance is on his way back here. He should arrive soon. He has to continue his Coccidia medication for at least 2 weeks and then we’ll see. I have disinfected the bathroom and dressing room from top to bottom. He’s going to have to stay there. My question is, is it really fair for me to try to adopt him at this point? He is almost 4 months old now. He’s going to have to stay in that bathroom for a long time before I can even begin to attempt a slow introduction and I’m not even sure it’ll work. As much as I love this little guy, it seems very selfish of me to want to try this when he could be finding a living home soon. What do you think?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m doing all of these... and more. I’m like obsessed with cleaning and disinfecting. My lesions are slowing improving.
I had one on my cheek when I was 12:( and the funny thing was, we didn't have any pets at the time.

I hope you keep the little one and these are my reasons why:
1. He really stands out to you, so trust your heart with this one.
2. You worked so hard in getting the two kitties to be okay with one another.
3. He thinks he already has a home.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know, but he already is trying to get out of the bathroom and he’s only been here a couple of hours. Weeks stuck here just don’t seem fair and as far as Sophie is concerned, she was far from having given her blessing and we’re now essentially back to zero. I can’t even do smell swaps as both cats or either could potentially have it, just not have lesions yet. It’s such a mess!
I had one on my cheek when I was 12:( and the funny thing was, we didn't have any pets at the time.

I hope you keep the little one and these are my reasons why:
1. He really stands out to you, so trust your heart with this one.
2. You worked so hard in getting the two kitties to be okay with one another.
3. He thinks he already has a home.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
both cats or either could potentially have it,
My question is, is it really fair for me to try to adopt him at this point?
I think it's completely fair, at least from his perspective even with the bathroom/dressing room quarantine, and yours. Sophie's, well, she may see things differently in a couple of weeks and be more amenable.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ll see how things go. If both cats are still ringworm free in a couple of weeks, and my lesions are gone, then maybe I can look into smell swapping.
I think it's completely fair, at least from his perspective even with the bathroom/dressing room quarantine, and yours. Sophie's, well, she may see things differently in a couple of weeks and be more amenable.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I received my UV black light this morning. I checked Lance and the bathroom/dressing room and there is no sign of ringworm. Wooohoo!!! I’m going to do the same this evening in my main living area and Sophie. If there are no signs of spores on her, do you think I could potentially start smell swapping again or should I wait a few days?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is also being treated for Coccidia, so the rescue is recommending against it for now.
I'm not an expert, but let me check in with another member and see what they think, hang on for a little bit...