Fluid In Lungs, Difficulty Breathing, High Calcium Levels

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! And I'm so very sorry about your dog. But glad you had months together where he felt well. Do you recall what the holistic pet did to make him feel better? That is my number 1 goal - to help her breath better. The pleural effusion will kill her long before the cancer.

You are right - every day matters! I'm trying to get as many cuddles as possible while we still have time.
I can't recall exactly, but I do know another poster mentioned acupuncture, which he had, as well as chiropractic work as he was rather stiff (arthritic). We explored a few other things on our own, mainly our vet recommended a remedy to help his appetite (nux vomica I think). Nothing ever cured his problems, but he seemed better and had more of his "old self" back!
Our dog didn't have fluid inside of his lungs, but rather in the chest cavity surrounding the lungs. His biopsy of the fluid was inconclusive. He took furosemide for awhile (lasix) to keep the fluid down, which helped,but eventually it seemed to be causing more problems than it helped so it was drastically reduced. I think after awhile we stopped it all together.
I wish I had magic words or something to say or do that could make this go away or make all the frustration and worry disappear for you :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JessRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Zoe's platelets are back up to 175,000! She's at the hospital now. They are supposed to be draining the fluid in her lungs this afternoon. The University hospital that I had been going to (until the ER doc there said I had to euthanize so I won't be going back) - they had a hard time draining the fluid due to the fibrosis. I pray this new hospital can get it out. Zoe has an appetite, but she's a licker so eating takes so much work for her.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zoe's platelets are back up to 175,000! She's at the hospital now. They are supposed to be draining the fluid in her lungs this afternoon. The University hospital that I had been going to (until the ER doc there said I had to euthanize so I won't be going back) - they had a hard time draining the fluid due to the fibrosis. I pray this new hospital can get it out. Zoe has an appetite, but she's a licker so eating takes so much work for her.
Oh, this is such good news!!!! My face literally lit up when I read the first sentence. I'm glad her platelets are back up!!
I hope the hospital can get the fluid out too. Its great she's eating and has an appetite! What does she like to eat normally? My cats are raw fed for the most part, but when one is off their food they like really gravy-type foods mixed with pate that we cut up into chunks that can be licked (spoiled but who cares, LOL).
I say give that little girl any food her heart desires! <3
I'm not sure on the quality of the product but we've had many a-cat go off food for whatever reason (as well as kittens not eating well) that really do well with nutri-cal or nutri-stat for additional calories. I've used it for dogs that are off food or severely underweight, etc. I don't know all her medical stuff so I'd ask the clinic if they think this is a good idea.
I'm also hoping this hospital is better than the others have been to work with.
Continued prayers that things continue to improve, and hopefully you'll be able to get a good nights sleep!

JessRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I picked up some Nutri-cal, but she won't eat it. I've opened up 3 different foods tonight and she only licks at them a bit. I'm very concerned about her lack of appetite. She's even on Mirtazipine but it doesn't seem to be helping. I really struggled getting her to swallow her prednisone tonight. I'm so worried. The only bright point of the evening is when I got home from the pet store, she was up on my bed. She hasn't crawled up there for weeks. I was so hopeful she was feeling better, but the not eating is a very bad sign.

JessRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also - they were able to get some fluid out, but the fibrosis made it impossible to get it all : (

I wonder if her teeth are causing her problems. She's just been licking her food for quite some time. But tonight I saw her take a couple bigger pieces and then heard a bone scraping/crunching sound, but she wasn't eating anything with bones in.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also - they were able to get some fluid out, but the fibrosis made it impossible to get it all : (
Does it seem to you that she's breathing better after the fluid draining?
My cat seems to be worse in the two or three days after the draining. So far she's been drained 5 times.
Yesterday a university professor has told me not to drain her often because the damage done is worse than the advantages.
Fingers crossed!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up some Nutri-cal, but she won't eat it. I've opened up 3 different foods tonight and she only licks at them a bit. I'm very concerned about her lack of appetite. She's even on Mirtazipine but it doesn't seem to be helping. I really struggled getting her to swallow her prednisone tonight. I'm so worried. The only bright point of the evening is when I got home from the pet store, she was up on my bed. She hasn't crawled up there for weeks. I was so hopeful she was feeling better, but the not eating is a very bad sign.
When I use NutriCal, I usually take a small amount (about the size of a pencil eraser) on my finger, and then wipe it on their mouth/whiskers. Most cats will clean it off!
If she was up on your bed, that is a good sign but I wonder if just the stress from visiting the clinic and meds are upsetting her stomach a bit?

Maybe the clinic could have a look at her teeth and tell you what they think. If you haven't already, sometimes warming food up a bit brings out aroma more. Sometimes taking those first bites are resisted, but once they do, it's like they jump-start and eat a bit better.

I hope she eats a good meal today!

JessRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does it seem to you that she's breathing better after the fluid draining?
My cat seems to be worse in the two or three days after the draining. So far she's been drained 5 times.
Yesterday a university professor has told me not to drain her often because the damage done is worse than the advantages.
Fingers crossed!
I don't think she seems worse. Her spirit was actually much better throughout the night - but that could be the prednisone.

JessRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I use NutriCal, I usually take a small amount (about the size of a pencil eraser) on my finger, and then wipe it on their mouth/whiskers. Most cats will clean it off!
If she was up on your bed, that is a good sign but I wonder if just the stress from visiting the clinic and meds are upsetting her stomach a bit?

Maybe the clinic could have a look at her teeth and tell you what they think. If you haven't already, sometimes warming food up a bit brings out aroma more. Sometimes taking those first bites are resisted, but once they do, it's like they jump-start and eat a bit better.

I hope she eats a good meal today!
I'll try that with the NutriCal! I left the food next to her in the bed last night and she slowed munched on it throughout the night - so that's a good sign! I think it's just hard to eat when your breathing is compromised.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll try that with the NutriCal! I left the food next to her in the bed last night and she slowed munched on it throughout the night - so that's a good sign! I think it's just hard to eat when your breathing is compromised.
Our asthmatic cat always goes off food if an asthmatic episode is underway, so I agree that eating isn't top of the priority list when breathing is more difficult than normal.
Good sign indeed, sometimes they're really nocturnal eaters!!

JessRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I finally got a call from the University Oncology that they could squeeze me in tomorrow. I said no as we are seeking treatment through an IM that also does cancer care. Afterwards I started to worry if that was the right choice. Each new doctor costs $$$ and we are supposed to be starting chemo today - although I'm still waiting for the IM to call me back about picking up the chemo drug.

Poor Zoe is still very constipated which is really causing her issues as it takes the wind out of her just trying to poo. She was on Lactulose but after gagging on it yesterday I stopped and switched over to Miralax. I haven't seen it kick in yet though.

On a good note, she's sleeping on my bed again - I'm not sure how she gets up there as it's quite high and her lung capacity is not great. Today I finally found a food that I can puree into a nice gravy that she LOVED - she ate all 3 oz in one sitting. That hasn't happened for quite some time.

The herbs also arrived from the Holistic vet. I just started them today. Unfortunately there was also a note from her that I need to start making plans to euthanize. It's really frustrating when you are trying your best to support your fur baby in their last stage of life and everywhere you turn, doctors are saying to end her life. I really wish that wasn't their go-to answer for sickness. It makes me so sad.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I finally got a call from the University Oncology that they could squeeze me in tomorrow. I said no as we are seeking treatment through an IM that also does cancer care. Afterwards I started to worry if that was the right choice. Each new doctor costs $$$ and we are supposed to be starting chemo today - although I'm still waiting for the IM to call me back about picking up the chemo drug.

Poor Zoe is still very constipated which is really causing her issues as it takes the wind out of her just trying to poo. She was on Lactulose but after gagging on it yesterday I stopped and switched over to Miralax. I haven't seen it kick in yet though.

On a good note, she's sleeping on my bed again - I'm not sure how she gets up there as it's quite high and her lung capacity is not great. Today I finally found a food that I can puree into a nice gravy that she LOVED - she ate all 3 oz in one sitting. That hasn't happened for quite some time.

The herbs also arrived from the Holistic vet. I just started them today. Unfortunately there was also a note from her that I need to start making plans to euthanize. It's really frustrating when you are trying your best to support your fur baby in their last stage of life and everywhere you turn, doctors are saying to end her life. I really wish that wasn't their go-to answer for sickness. It makes me so sad.
First off, I understand that confusion choosing what options and what options to avoid and deciding what vets are the best for this particular problem.
Is the chemo drug something you can give at home, like in pill form? I only ask because a friend of ours had a 10 year old dog that developed cancer and he was able to take chemo at home. The dog, on diagnosis, looked terrible; he had grown skeletal thin, his energy was really poor,, etc., but he's gained his weight, his energy is much better and he's still holding his own. I'm not sure how long he took the drug but it seemed to work. And that was 2 years ago!
When our IBD boy was constipated badly, it took about 72 hours for the Miralax to work. And it did! Gladly, it didn't create a diarrhea disaster, Miralax is supposed to be really gentle. Since she hasn't been eating much, all systems probably haven't "been go" and sometimes constipation happens after a period of not eating because nothing is "moving things through". I'm psyched that you found a food she ate, and enjoyed!!!
I hope the herbs help. To me, that note was really kind of unprofessional :/ The only vet that ever gave me a gentle nudge to choose euthanasia was for a pet that was bleeding internally and crashing fast, and I was unable to grasp what was happening. I've used this vet for decades and asked what they would have done if this were there dog and they gave me a sad, half smile. Then I knew. But that relationship of many years was there, way different from a vet I've seen once or twice. JMO, but I'd throw away the note and enjoy your kitty.

JessRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off, I understand that confusion choosing what options and what options to avoid and deciding what vets are the best for this particular problem.
Is the chemo drug something you can give at home, like in pill form? I only ask because a friend of ours had a 10 year old dog that developed cancer and he was able to take chemo at home. The dog, on diagnosis, looked terrible; he had grown skeletal thin, his energy was really poor,, etc., but he's gained his weight, his energy is much better and he's still holding his own. I'm not sure how long he took the drug but it seemed to work. And that was 2 years ago!
When our IBD boy was constipated badly, it took about 72 hours for the Miralax to work. And it did! Gladly, it didn't create a diarrhea disaster, Miralax is supposed to be really gentle. Since she hasn't been eating much, all systems probably haven't "been go" and sometimes constipation happens after a period of not eating because nothing is "moving things through". I'm psyched that you found a food she ate, and enjoyed!!!
I hope the herbs help. To me, that note was really kind of unprofessional :/ The only vet that ever gave me a gentle nudge to choose euthanasia was for a pet that was bleeding internally and crashing fast, and I was unable to grasp what was happening. I've used this vet for decades and asked what they would have done if this were there dog and they gave me a sad, half smile. Then I knew. But that relationship of many years was there, way different from a vet I've seen once or twice. JMO, but I'd throw away the note and enjoy your kitty.
Yes - the chemo drug is a pill I'll give her at home (Palladia). It should hopefully be fairly stress-free for her. Unfortunately it didn't arrive today so I'll call again tomorrow. That is an awesome story about your friends dog. I pray I see the same results. Do you recall how much Miralax you gave? I'm at 1/4 teaspoon 2 times a day and haven't seen any improvement yet, but it's only been 2 days now since I changed over to the Miralax.

I agree - the note was very unprofessional. I won't be going back. But every vet I've encountered along the way has said the same thing. I'm not stupid, I know what my options are. But I'm not at the hospital spending thousands at their clinics just to give up on her.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes - the chemo drug is a pill I'll give her at home (Palladia). It should hopefully be fairly stress-free for her. Unfortunately it didn't arrive today so I'll call again tomorrow. That is an awesome story about your friends dog. I pray I see the same results. Do you recall how much Miralax you gave? I'm at 1/4 teaspoon 2 times a day and haven't seen any improvement yet, but it's only been 2 days now since I changed over to the Miralax.

I agree - the note was very unprofessional. I won't be going back. But every vet I've encountered along the way has said the same thing. I'm not stupid, I know what my options are. But I'm not at the hospital spending thousands at their clinics just to give up on her.
Yes, I agree! I believe Miralax was the same dosage, 1/4tsp. twice a day. (My little guy was REALLY backed up. When he, uh, "let loose" it smelled like a pen at the zoo that contained a Rhino with dysentery.)
I have no problems with a vet preparing me for what could possibly happen when treating a very sick pet, but I won't put up with crass comments, rude bluntness, etc.
When I took one of my sick dogs to the vet for the last time, the vet I've had for years quietly told me that (they) couldn't save my dog forever, but there were a few more things up their sleeves they were willing to try if I was game, which I was!
It's irritating when vets speak of cheap owners that refuse everything except shots, yet when an owner steps forward that wishes to help their ailing pet, it's a bother. Very frustrating. They can never say never; maybe experiences with our pets might help them learn more and someone else and their pet will benefit from it in the future.

JessRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Zoe is breathing much faster and more labored tonight. I'm very concerned. She was just in Friday to have the fluid drained but they couldn't get it all due to the fibrosis and the fluid being in different pockets. I'm afraid - this is the worst I've seen her breathing.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am deeply sorry about Zoe, I do hope that the laboured breathing was only momentary and she's now much better.
Every time I read story of pets suffering, my heart loses a bit of itself, it's so painful to me too :(

JessRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My beautiful Zoe - she passed away naturally this morning at 7:30. My heart is broken. But I'm thankful she no longer suffers.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm terribly sorry for you, you are in my thoughts. Don't feel guilty, you did what you could. Sometimes fate just sucks.
RIP Zoe, now you're free from pain and you can breathe clear and fresh air as much as you want :(

KJMissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - I'm looking for help. My vet is stumped so I'm trying to do every thing I can to find out what is going on with my cat Zoe. Zoe is 15 1/2 years old. She's been healthy her entire life. She's strictly an indoor cat. She had been coughing quite a bit. It started a few weeks back. She's a long hair so I thought is was just a hair ball. But it got worst with nothing coming up.

So I brought her into my vet on 1/2. He noticed her breathing was odd - she was breathing in but her chest was going out. He did an X-ray which showed massive amounts of fluid in her lungs and what appeared to be a mass pressing into her lungs. He sent us to the ER where she was put on oxygen.

They looked at the x-rays and said it was likely cancer. They removed the fluid from her lungs and re-ran the X-ray and the mass disappeared. They tested the fluid and there was nothing in it that indicated any type of diagnosis. The vet said he heard a heart murmur and said it was likely heart failure. After an echo, he came back saying her heart was fine.

He then ran a blood test for anemia. Also negative. He ran a full blood panel and the only thing that came back were high levels of calcium.

Even with the fluid removed from her lungs, she was still breathing heavily. They took her out of the oxygen chamber to see how she'd react. She was breathing the same whether in it or out, so I took her home. The vet is completely stumped and said the amount of oxygen she is getting "isn't comparable with life but she's acting like a normal cat".

She's on an appetite enhancer and is eating and drinking fine right now. She has an appointment for a CT in the morning. I'm hoping that will give us some answers.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm praying we can get a diagnosis so that we can start treatment asap.