First Time Trying To Tame A Feral/stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
End of day 6...came home and today he ate food that my husband gave him as opposed to Monday. He looked happy to see me (?), although he remained under the table. I came down after a bit and brought the laptop to finish up some work. Pretended to ignore him, sometimes he looked interested and sometimes he napped. I put less catnip on my hands as I slide a few yumyums towards his nose. Yep still ate it, although a tad more apprehensive than yesterday (probably more sober). I did put treats in my hand and he ate them again. Again he wasn't as forward (less catnip), but I was able to pet his nose and under chin. Hung out for a while, hubby joined me after to chit chat and he sprawled with sleepiness (clearly we are a very meditative couple). Now... a new question....we have a dog, large one. He has been hearing his steps above him for almost a week, along with his loud bark when a leaf moves. What's the process of, when, how to introduce? My dog was raised by my 2 cats when he was a puppy, so I'm not worried about his reaction one bit. Any ideas? Experience?

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maggie did end up passing out. I don't know if it was from the catnip or because she got tired from all the zooming around the house. :D
So fascinating how they react. Mine does not zoom or pass out. I think you should keep at it with the catnip hand. Did you try it with some treats in your hand as well? Can't wait to hear about it....

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orange has a dog and 3 cats, so maybe she can give you some tips to introduce them. Maybe stack two baby gates at the door? Or put up a screen door?... Yes, I can pet Maggie a little bit when she's sleepy, but only on the top of the head and only for a little while. If I touch her body at all, she gets an offended look and smacks me. I'll try petting her while feeding her treats today.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You've made amazing progress with Silo in only 6 days! :thumbsup: Even with my "zero experience" with ferals, I tend to think he must have been a former house cat, because of how quickly he's adjusting to his inside life. Of course he also has very attentive and loving humans helping him. :catrub:

Not sure how soon you should consider letting Silo meet your dog, but here's an article on How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to say if Silo is feral or stray. We took in a stray when I was a kid and she was a lot different than my two ferals that I have now. She was just like a regular house cat. These guys came straight from the woods, there are no houses on that side. I had to tame them myself. With our stray, she was already tame and had manners, never scratched us. Most people around here just leave the ferals alone, they don't take them in. They've been living in that woods for many years, but my dad would never let me feed them when I was a kid.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would hold off on introducing the dog for a little while until Silo gets more comfortable and feels like he is securely home. However, now is not a bad time to start some scent swapping. If you can have your dog lie on a towel or fleece throw and do the same with Silo, then once their scent is in the towel, move the towels so the dog can smell Silo's scent and vice versa.

My Corgi is not 100% cat friendly until he decides a cat is family and not an interloper who needs to be chased off. While Misfit was living in the backyard and fairly nervous around me, Charlie still needed to go out to potty and eat. I spent a couple weeks only letting him out on leash, and then on a long rope, until he stopped lunging at her, and until she stopped acting like a prey animal and freezing up or running from him. He actively avoids her now but she sometimes approaches him and swipes at him. The dog's trained; now I'm not sure how to get Misfit to not attack him. :headscratch:

Charlie is ok with Farrell most of the time, but she still occasionally gets skittish and "acts like prey", then he lunges toward her, so I don't leave them both loose in the house while I'm out.

Charlie was raised with my senior cat, Tangent, who is 3 years older than he is. He's a ten year old senior dog; Tangent's thirteen. They get along great, so I know it's possible. Here they are in my office recliner earlier this month:

Anyway, I still have work to do integrating everyone myself. So far, it's easier to train the dog to ignore the cats than to train the cats not to try to scratch the dog's face. I think it will just take time. The feral girls are just a few months over one year old, so they just need to mature, relax and settle a little around Charlie.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Orange has a dog and 3 cats, so maybe she can give you some tips to introduce them. Maybe stack two baby gates at the door? Or put up a screen door?... Yes, I can pet Maggie a little bit when she's sleepy, but only on the top of the head and only for a little while. If I touch her body at all, she gets an offended look and smacks me. I'll try petting her while feeding her treats today

Did you try? How did it go?

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You've made amazing progress with Silo in only 6 days! :thumbsup: Even with my "zero experience" with ferals, I tend to think he must have been a former house cat, because of how quickly he's adjusting to his inside life. Of course he also has very attentive and loving humans helping him. :catrub:

Not sure how soon you should consider letting Silo meet your dog, but here's an article on How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
I think we are going to wait some more on introductions...I have to keep my own eagerness in check if this is gonna work....if.....and thank you for all of your thoughtful words Ruby

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would hold off on introducing the dog for a little while until Silo gets more comfortable and feels like he is securely home. However, now is not a bad time to start some scent swapping. If you can have your dog lie on a towel or fleece throw and do the same with Silo, then once their scent is in the towel, move the towels so the dog can smell Silo's scent and vice versa.

My Corgi is not 100% cat friendly until he decides a cat is family and not an interloper who needs to be chased off. While Misfit was living in the backyard and fairly nervous around me, Charlie still needed to go out to potty and eat. I spent a couple weeks only letting him out on leash, and then on a long rope, until he stopped lunging at her, and until she stopped acting like a prey animal and freezing up or running from him. He actively avoids her now but she sometimes approaches him and swipes at him. The dog's trained; now I'm not sure how to get Misfit to not attack him. :headscratch:

Charlie is ok with Farrell most of the time, but she still occasionally gets skittish and "acts like prey", then he lunges toward her, so I don't leave them both loose in the house while I'm out.

Charlie was raised with my senior cat, Tangent, who is 3 years older than he is. He's a ten year old senior dog; Tangent's thirteen. They get along great, so I know it's possible. Here they are in my office recliner earlier this month:

Anyway, I still have work to do integrating everyone myself. So far, it's easier to train the dog to ignore the cats than to train the cats not to try to scratch the dog's face. I think it will just take time. The feral girls are just a few months over one year old, so they just need to mature, relax and settle a little around Charlie.
I am in love with this picture! ❤. I think my brain is fully with you on this...I'll keep waiting till Silo is more comfortable. Maybe gradually exchanging smells as you mentioned....you are one talented lady!

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
End of day post. He is an amazing little creature. So glad I have him, so glad he picked our house that day...I woke up and all the window dowels were in their window spots!!! He was under his table, didn't come out for breakfast, but that's ok, lil guy made up for that the rest of the day. Spent quite a bit of time with him, coming and going every so often throughout the day(I wonder if he thinks I have some form of dementia). I was armed with treats and an orange pipe cleaner. He was ready, so was I. His eyes grew wild after that pipecleaner and the play began. Then the treats, play, treats and eating out of my hand without catnip...did I mention treats? It was awesome. My laughter didn't bother him nor my hand just going in alone to investigate all the way to his nose. After our last play session, after my husband left...I think we were both pretty tired...so I lied down next to his table and went for it. I reached and ever so gently touched his arm/paw. His eyes closed and I kept caressing his side.....until he told me with a pleasant hiss he had enough. I said goodnight and left. It was a good day. Goodnight all. ❤

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would love to see a photo of Silo too. I forgot to try petting Maggie while giving her treats, I'll do that later today. She's a happy cat, loves hanging out and exploring. She just isn't very affectionate. It's sad because she's such a little dolly, I want to hug her. Her fur is so soft, like silk.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's hard to take a picture because he's always under the table and when he's on the window, I usually don't have my phone on me to take a pic. But I will try and try to remember to always bring my phone. (Maybe I do have memory loss after all?)

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would love to see a photo of Silo too. I forgot to try petting Maggie while giving her treats, I'll do that later today. She's a happy cat, loves hanging out and exploring. She just isn't very affectionate. It's sad because she's such a little dolly, I want to hug her. Her fur is so soft, like silk.
Ah, well...I will wait patiently and keep my fingers crossed for you that it works. I can bet your dying to pet her she sounds awesome!

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh, Silo! Such a handsome little guy. He is just lovely. :redheartpump:
Thank you Orange! I've been trying to figure out his age...I was reading up on tomcat distinctions and a lot of articles talk about the cheek pads...seems like they develop in un-neutered males by 2-3...Silo doesn't appear to have any...I'm guessing he might be 1-2???? Any ideas?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has a "young face". I'm not good at guessing ages though. Seems like my male cats kind of looked the same between 2 years and 7-8 years. I would think Silo is on the younger end of that, because he is coming around socially so quickly with your good care. The older they get the more hardened they get...outside kitties tend not to age well like indoor cats do.