First Time Trying To Tame A Feral/stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nature's Miracle is an enzyme spray safe to use around cats. Also vinegar/water mix might work to clean up blood. I hope it wasn't the toy, because I'm gonna feel really bad for recommending it.
Hi, not sure what it was...probably will never know. Please don't feel bad if it was, you have been great every step of the way.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Move over cloud 9, here I come!!! Last night was miraculous! I went down with a jar of loose catnip and dipped another small toy that he has been tolerating but not playing with it. I pushed it under the table and got as close as his nose without him hissing. Then the tiny Christmas bulb went off in my head.."what if I dunk my whole hand into the catnip jar??". Hallelujah! I was able to first push a yum yum with one finger towards his nose which he ate! Eventually I put several in my hand aaaaaand, he ate from my hand!! He ever so gently patted my hand with his paw to see if it was death approaching, but alas he survived. I was able to pet his nose, under his chin and his whiskers! I gave him a break and to allow my heart to return to normal. I came back to check on him again and he was sprawled out with paws up. Slimmed my hand in and was able to caress his pads. He fluffed them open a bit more and then yawned. Break time! Boy are those little pads rough and hard! He's been pounding that pavement for awhile. Going to work today so I'll check on him later. Again, my ❤ goes out to you all with gratitude!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wavey:

That really is fantastic!!!! :clap:

I still dare not touch Misfit's paws. Farrell's I can play with, and trim her claws, although claw-trimming is often a "one claw per hour" type thing while she's relaxed and napping. :)

That's a tremendous step forward with Silo! :thumbsup:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's amazing. Great idea! I would never have thought of putting catnip on my hands. I'm going to try that with my cats and see their reaction.

Poodles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
End of day 4....whew! It would be great if someone published "Stray cats for Dummies"..hint, hint all you lovely brains. So, sew buttons...the morning with Silo, pee and poop, check: hiding under table, check. Remain frozen under table, check. Until lunchtime when I spent almost 40 minutes talking and playing with a cat pole. He didn't like it zipping by so I slo-moed it and the he casually stretched his paws out (pretending like he didn't care) to gently pat it, sniff it and sniff self to make sure the cotton didn't kill him. I left him alone for a bit after his big moment and then went upstairs to share my glee ad nauseum to my husband. Poor thing. I kept going down every 30 min to "check in" for 5-10 min or so. The last time, before bed was incredible...one word, pipecleaner. He was not a fan of the sock, or my effort of being the rolled up cat pole, it was the pipecleaner. I played with it in front of him and them slowly got closer to the point where it touched him. Initially, he hissed but then he seemed okay. Perhaps I was too zealous and annoyed him, but he came out from under the table and went to eat! In front of me like the good old days!!! He didn't even budge when I added a few of his favorite treats. Then the culmination ended with him lying down in the middle of my basement carpet, me 3 ft away and him sleeping, sprawled out and paws fluffed out. ❤❤ Just discovered that his top pads are pink and the main pad is black. Ooooh! So I left him to rest. I'm gonna pray that I don't see window dowels on the floor tomorrow...he seems to have a habit of reminding me..... Where would I be without you awesome people???? ❤
Hi!
Well, he's not bleeding anymore...he wasn't on the window he was under the table the whole time. Nothing sharp there and the table is against a wall, no pipes or radiators. I checked the toy beforehand but maybe, just maybe when I cut the tag away there was a piece left??? Skeptical on that tho....he's eating and back under the table now. Before that he jumped on the window after treats and I tried...gently touched his back with my hand. Not a fan still...he hissed, lowly growled and set his ears back. I spoke calmly and he settled down and blinked...ahh, c'est la vie!
Move over cloud 9, here I come!!! Last night was miraculous! I went down with a jar of loose catnip and dipped another small toy that he has been tolerating but not playing with it. I pushed it under the table and got as close as his nose without him hissing. Then the tiny Christmas bulb went off in my head.."what if I dunk my whole hand into the catnip jar??". Hallelujah! I was able to first push a yum yum with one finger towards his nose which he ate! Eventually I put several in my hand aaaaaand, he ate from my hand!! He ever so gently patted my hand with his paw to see if it was death approaching, but alas he survived. I was able to pet his nose, under his chin and his whiskers! I gave him a break and to allow my heart to return to normal. I came back to check on him again and he was sprawled out with paws up. Slimmed my hand in and was able to caress his pads. He fluffed them open a bit more and then yawned. Break time! Boy are those little pads rough and hard! He's been pounding that pavement for awhile. Going to work today so I'll check on him later. Again, my ❤ goes out to you all with gratitude!
Wow! I'm dealing with first time semi-feral foster and must try the catnip routine. This link about training ferals is helpful. Socializing Cats: How to Socialize a Very Shy or Fearful Cat

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's amazing. Great idea! I would never have thought of putting catnip on my hands. I'm going to try that with my cats and see their reaction.
Fingers are crossed for you!!!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had my two ferals for over 3 years now, so they aren't so feral anymore. I can pet Demi whenever I want, but Maggie doesn't like to be petted much. She just likes to hang out. I'll try putting some catnip on my hands and see her reaction.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I rubbed the catnip on my hands. I got it all over the place and had to get out the handheld vacuum. Anyway, I walked by Demi and he immediately smelled it on my hands and came running. He licked my hands and then tried to eat them!:eek2: Maggie is out in the garage, when she comes in I'll see what her reaction is.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Maggie didn't want to be petted even with catnip on my hands, she smacked me and bunny kicked my hand. But she did eat some catnip out of my hand. Now she's got the zoomies and is racing around the house at top speed. Maybe it made her hyper. I love my little devil. :D

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I rubbed the catnip on my hands. I got it all over the place and had to get out the handheld vacuum. Anyway, I walked by Demi and he immediately smelled it on my hands and came running. He licked my hands and then tried to eat them!:eek2: Maggie is out in the garage, when she comes in I'll see what her reaction is.
Woo-hoo! ❤ That is super Maggie!!

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, Maggie didn't want to be petted even with catnip on my hands, she smacked me and bunny kicked my hand. But she did eat some catnip out of my hand. Now she's got the zoomies and is racing around the house at top speed. Maybe it made her hyper. I love my little devil. :D
❤, you're funny. Well maybe she needs a slower approach? I did my movements in slow-mo initially and tried first with a toy in my hand that had the catnip on it. Must've felt great to have her eat from your hand though?!

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
❤, you're funny. Well maybe she needs a slower approach? I did my movements in slow-mo initially and tried first with a toy in my hand that had the catnip on it. Must've felt great to have her eat from your hand though?!
And don't forget the treats...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She acts offended when I try to pet or brush her. She's a good cat otherwise, fun to hang out with. I just wish I could hug her. Demi is more loving, he likes me to pet him while he sucks on his blankie. They both still knife me with their claws occasionally, but I think Demi is just playing. Hopefully Silo won't scratch you.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That’s the first thing my vet does if you bring in a cat.....rub her hands all over with catnip.

Works well. Some of my seven like it some don’t. Guess it doesn’t work for all but when it does...wow.

So glad you’re having a big WIN day! Love to hear positive stuff, keep it up.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maggie did end up passing out. I don't know if it was from the catnip or because she got tired from all the zooming around the house. :D
Have you ever tried to pet her when she's sleeping or passed? Will she startle?

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That’s the first thing my vet does if you bring in a cat.....rub her hands all over with catnip.

Works well. Some of my seven like it some don’t. Guess it doesn’t work for all but when it does...wow.

So glad you’re having a big WIN day! Love to hear positive stuff, keep it up.
Hi Trudy! Thank you! None of the vets I ever had used catnip with my prior tame cats. Was that with strays/feral in your experience?