First Time Trying To Tame A Feral/stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been searching for advice on what I should do with my two feral cats. I trapped them, spayed them, kept them warm while they recovered from surgery. THEN I couldn’t release them back outside into the cold.

Lilly and Blackie are both female. They are about 8-9 months old and live in my spare bedroom for about 6 weeks. Liter trained instantly. Never had an accident. They have never been hostile but hide when we enter the room. We put up a screen door which helps them get used to our two cats (all female oh boy) without any confrontation. It’s working well. They Will come up to the screen and play with the laser beam. We have touched them when they were in the pet carrier. My husband opened the door and pet both of them and actually put them to sleep. But in the open room, no luck. I work from home and I work in the “cat room”. They sleep the entire time I’m in the room. One in her cardboard safe box and the other on a chair.

I my question is what’s my next step to allow me to touch them? They really need nails trimmed. i guess I will try to get them to come to me with pieces of turkey or chicken. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Kiddo, first off, hope you like roller coasters, but that's coming from a novice. I'm sure the other beautiful people will give you much advice and encouragement as they've given me. It sounds like your kitties are comfortable and one lovely person told me to take notice of the cats personality and decide whether you move the progress forward or allow the kitty to determine. Either way, remember to breathe and enjoy the itty bitty moments of progress.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
End of day 4....whew! It would be great if someone published "Stray cats for Dummies"..hint, hint all you lovely brains. So, sew buttons...the morning with Silo, pee and poop, check: hiding under table, check. Remain frozen under table, check. Until lunchtime when I spent almost 40 minutes talking and playing with a cat pole. He didn't like it zipping by so I slo-moed it and the he casually stretched his paws out (pretending like he didn't care) to gently pat it, sniff it and sniff self to make sure the cotton didn't kill him. I left him alone for a bit after his big moment and then went upstairs to share my glee ad nauseum to my husband. Poor thing. I kept going down every 30 min to "check in" for 5-10 min or so. The last time, before bed was incredible...one word, pipecleaner. He was not a fan of the sock, or my effort of being the rolled up cat pole, it was the pipecleaner. I played with it in front of him and them slowly got closer to the point where it touched him. Initially, he hissed but then he seemed okay. Perhaps I was too zealous and annoyed him, but he came out from under the table and went to eat! In front of me like the good old days!!! He didn't even budge when I added a few of his favorite treats. Then the culmination ended with him lying down in the middle of my basement carpet, me 3 ft away and him sleeping, sprawled out and paws fluffed out. ❤❤ Just discovered that his top pads are pink and the main pad is black. Ooooh! So I left him to rest. I'm gonna pray that I don't see window dowels on the floor tomorrow...he seems to have a habit of reminding me..... Where would I be without you awesome people???? ❤

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have enough past experience with cats that you probably don't need us...you have very good instincts about what cats like. However, we're here to be your cheerleaders and offer any tips we have. :cheerleader: I sent you a PM on the Panacur.

Your note is fabulous news. I think Silo is going to come around in no time at all.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have enough past experience with cats that you probably don't need us...you have very good instincts about what cats like. However, we're here to be your cheerleaders and offer any tips we have. :cheerleader: I sent you a PM on the Panacur.

Your note is fabulous news. I think Silo is going to come around in no time at all.
Thank you Orange! I have experience with cats, tame cats but never with a stray/feral. Still unsure of the difference? I feel like I'm "winging" it every minute and when I get a good response I'm shocked. I will look at the pm in a moment.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, all the window dowels were off again this morning...sigh... I hope one day I'll come downstairs and they'll be in place and his efforts at escape will be over. Makes me feel so bad....

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Orange! I have experience with cats, tame cats but never with a stray/feral. Still unsure of the difference? I feel like I'm "winging" it every minute and when I get a good response I'm shocked. I will look at the pm in a moment.
Me too...before last year anyway. I'm over 50 and have had domestic cat(s) as long as I can remember. Then last year, I took on these two feral kitties. I still have quite a way to go with Misfit, but I've taken 5 steps forward and 1-2 steps back along the way with her. The successes as they learn to trust humans are heartwarming!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like things are going well, if he's sleeping sprawled out like that in front of you, that means he is relaxed. What is a window dowel? Another thing I forgot to mention that helped me with my two ferals, is I taught them a lot of words, like their names, dinner, treat, get in your cage, c'mon hurry, side side (out in the garage). It really helped to be able to communicate with them. They learn fast if you make it sound exciting to them. It might sound silly, but cats are really smart.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just read through this thread. Thank you for bringing Silo inside and getting him neutered/vetted.
Sounds like things are progressing well. I think you'll have a lovely housecat before you know it. :petcat:

I don't have any experience with feral/strays, but love reading these threads, and following as scared cats become lovebugs.

The site has a lot of articles on various cat care, including Ferals & Rescue | TheCatSite
Here's a couple specific articles that may be helpful:
A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference
Handling Feral Cats

Have you taken any pictures of Silo yet? :camera: Would love to put a face to the name. :catlove:

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like things are going well, if he's sleeping sprawled out like that in front of you, that means he is relaxed. What is a window dowel? Another thing I forgot to mention that helped me with my two ferals, is I taught them a lot of words, like their names, dinner, treat, get in your cage, c'mon hurry, side side (out in the garage). It really helped to be able to communicate with them. They learn fast if you make it sound exciting to them. It might sound silly, but cats are really smart.
Hi! We have basement windows and placed a wooden dowel (kind of a thick stick) in the window slot where it slides open as an extra safety measure for us, even before the cat. I think he thinks it will open the window up if he digs them out....

Thanks again Maggie, I will be more aware of how and what I say to him. I'm coming home from work so I'll see how his day went...will keep you posted.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just read through this thread. Thank you for bringing Silo inside and getting him neutered/vetted.
Sounds like things are progressing well. I think you'll have a lovely housecat before you know it. :petcat:

I don't have any experience with feral/strays, but love reading these threads, and following as scared cats become lovebugs.

The site has a lot of articles on various cat care, including Ferals & Rescue | TheCatSite
Here's a couple specific articles that may be helpful:
A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference
Handling Feral Cats

Have you taken any pictures of Silo yet? :camera: Would love to put a face to the name. :catlove:

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Silo saga...so I came home around 6pm. Dowels were all around again...My husband gave him food earlier but he didn't touch it. I brought his dish by his hideout under the table, he sniffed and I told him to go eat and have "din, din" and brought it back to his food spot. Barely made it to the stairs when he stretched out his paws, yawned and walked to his dish. I went to get his "yum yums" (Temptations treats) and was able to do so as he scampered back a foot. I hung out about 2ft away as he ate. I came back a little while later and attempted to play with the pipe cleaner, but he hissed, got annoyed and left his hideout. He laid down on the carpet, 3ft away.....after I apologized again and began to sprawl out, I mean super stretchy sprawl which, I admit brought a few tears from my eyes out of the cuteness factor and happiness. Wrong! Totally freaked him out and off he went to his hideout. I came down later to finish an art project I was working on and completely ignored him. Hubby came down with "yum yums " again, but he didn't budge until I told him to go eat. Kept ignoring him while he munched, used the litter box ❤, and then he circled towards a window and jumped up. I casually ignored him as he stared into the darkness, little did he know how happy I was and heart broken I felt to see him so sad checking out his outside home. So, it was time to go... got up, got his dishes to be cleaned for the morning and bumped into him on his way to his hideout. He examined me with his eyes and crawled under.....be still my heart. I went out later to throw out the trash and heard him scratching at the basement windows........sigh. Perhaps he will settle down some more once his hormones stabilize after the neutering? At least I'm hoping...now I'm just deflated. Goodnight all.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it went well to me. :) I knew using words would help, I think it makes them feel more confident to be able to communicate with us. Demi cried at the window for 2 weeks straight when I made him come inside for good. After that he was fine. Have you tried any catnip toys? My cats' favorite is the Yeowww banana and cigar. Chewy has them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww.... it really sounds like things are going well with Silo, so please try not to be deflated. :hugs:

He bumped into you and didn't attack. :thumbsup:
He ate his "yum yums" when you told him to :thumbsup:
He used the litter box while you were there :thumbsup:

It'll take a few weeks for the hormones to be completely out of his system, so he probably does still have the urge to be out prowling for females. But remember it's dangerous out there. He's so much safer inside.
You're doing good. And so is he. :catlove:

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Having a heart attack!!!need advice STAT!!!! So I went out and bought a new catnip toy. At first he was wary and then he started to sniff and was Hooke. Began rubbing his face in it, licking and pawing it. My daughter called me so I had to leave for a few minutes...when I came back, he was just curled under the table with the toy behind him. I was able to reach under with a long pole to drag the toy out only to discover it was covered in blood!!!! I gave him food which let him exit the table. As I pulled back the table there were many blood droplets on the carpet. When I looked at him, no blood on mouth but his paws are bloody. I got paper towels, water and dawn to clean up. Used a tad bit of 409 spray and then rinsed it down again with wet towels. He was under the table the whole time I was cleaning about 8 inches away. When I was done I gently started to push back the table and he bolted out...somewhere and has not come back to his table. What do I do now??? Any ideas as to what happened? Can't get near him to examine. Should I spray more because of the blood on the carpet? Would it be contagious? Completely freaking out now.........!

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH NO. Did he cut his paws on the windows somehow? Do you have any dryer ductwork in the basement? Our kitties once got behind the dryer and cut their feet on the aluminum ducts. (Have since installed floor to ceiling baby gates).
What would be contagious?
Chances are he got into something in the basement and he cut his paw a little. He obviously scared himself, that's why so jumpy.
Let us know how it goes. =)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no. Is there anything sharp on the catnip toy? Anything that he could have swallowed? If not, maybe something on the window? It's hard to guess, since I'm not there. I hope it's just a little cut.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nature's Miracle is an enzyme spray safe to use around cats. Also vinegar/water mix might work to clean up blood. I hope it wasn't the toy, because I'm gonna feel really bad for recommending it.

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, he's not bleeding anymore...he wasn't on the window he was under the table the whole time. Nothing sharp there and the table is against a wall, no pipes or radiators. I checked the toy beforehand but maybe, just maybe when I cut the tag away there was a piece left??? Skeptical on that tho....he's eating and back under the table now. Before that he jumped on the window after treats and I tried...gently touched his back with my hand. Not a fan still...he hissed, lowly growled and set his ears back. I spoke calmly and he settled down and blinked...ahh, c'est la vie!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bloody paws are a mystery. I'm wondering if maybe he got one of his claws stuck in the toy, and damaged his claw getting it loose? I guess we'll never know, but it sounds like the bleeding stopped quickly and he's fine now.

You're doing a great job, WonderY. I do think he'll adjust to indoor living after the hormones are out of his system. It's really neat that he sprawled out in the room with you there, even for a brief moment. That's a great show of trust on his part.