Feral in my garage

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose and tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 haven't you two successfully rehabilitated ferals? I know all of Jcatbird Jcatbird over 100 were all feral and are all now all contented house kittys. All but 1 or 2 of the 28 who share her home don't even want to go outside, they remember how bad it was out there. It took a while for some of them to become acclimated but never give up. He may seem unhappy but in the end will be happier, live a longer and better life inside and will come to realize it. @Jcatbirds two who do go out are in harness and are delighted to come back inside.
Well, IDK if I'd say "rehabilitated" -- Suha, born feral, was adopted by me as a small kitten and adapted fairly well, though she still has some feral traits. Our "community cats" two locations ago didn't exhibit 100% feral traits -- IDK what I'd categorize them as, actually, as they had probably been fed before we were there by a couple of families in the neighborhood and the matriarch may have been 100% feral -- she took a few years before she chanced trusting us. Shah Rukh was definitely 100% feral and never did "tame" -- she was the one we had to release back at that location because she was trying so hard to escape the barn compound and after talking to feral experts who said this was the only thing to do, and as we had been able to get her spayed and basic innoculations, we made this decision and did it, knowing there were still the two places she might eat, plus lots of wild prey which was probably her #1 choice anyway. I wouldn't call that a success, just the only thing we could do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know about this feral except that he's never been inside. His ear tip is hard to see because all his long black fur has grown in for years and he's about 4 or 5. He's always alone.

This feral fellow "Oscar" showed up last Dec 2020 about a month after my beloved black kitty had to be pts due to heart failure. He was 17 and the most spectacular soul I have ever known. Anyway, when I am being ridiculous, sometimes I think that my deceased kitty sent him to me since he knew I'd help. I had found my sweet boy 17 years earlier dumped in the woods with his litter - as tiny kittens. They scattered and yet I spent 6 hours and eventually found all four . . and I kept him. He was solid black and so sweet. And this feral boy is solid black too.

Anyway, thank you for respecting how much of a wreck I am about this - since I want to do the right thing for him . . . and it's not about me. And of course, I don't want to end up in the ER with bites either!

Hopefully I will do it tomorrow or Monday. Thank you everyone!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I recall, the group advising you is the same group that left him in a trap for six days? That would have influenced his behavior greatly. You are not doing that. This is the kitty that was in the garage and did not attack you. He was frightened. I do one of two things when I first get them. Vet check and/or start socializing. Confidence is good. She kitty you a trust him. Wear thick gloves and sleeves if that helps you to have confidence. Welders gloves are long and cats don’t bite through them so you know you won’t get nipped. Let the gloves be where kitty can see them and his scent even drift onto them. I had a couple of ferals that I was convinced would be difficult. Nope! They fooled me. They are two of the most affectionate of the ferals here. In fact, the night BJ came inside I posted that he might try to eat me. Lol I was just concerned about bites but he actually climbed around me as I slept in the bed that night. BJ is now the biggest softie here. He never did try to eat me. When cats are scared they try to intimidate. You have gotten great advice here and this cat already trust you. You have made a lot of progress since I first posted here. :clap2: You’re doing great. Just take things steady as you go. A vet check can be done first and then straight home and into a small room or those crates and let kitty get to know that life as a rescue is great. If he goes in the crates, a light sheet can be draped over to give a sense of being in a cave or protected place. Putting a box or carrier inside can help. Putting a carrier inside works very well for me because scared kitties run into the carrier to hide and it’s easy to reach in, shut the carrier door snd , off to the vet! Upon returning home, carrier back in the crate, carefully open carrier door while guarding the crate exit door he does not run out, shut the carrier and the kitty can come out of the carrier, into his crate home and relax for as long as it takes to get adjusted. There have been times when vet visits did not happen right away for a rescue due to scheduling or an extremely upset cat. In that case I did use the time to become more trusted. There are reasons to get them tested for Fiv snd Felv other than exposing other cats.,It gives you knowledge in case you need to be more aware of boosting the cat nutritionally and watching for anything that can be addressed to avoid problems.
Bravo on all the progress you have made!!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Jcatbird <3 for trying to build my confidence! And also, for remembering Oscar's history. Yes; you remember correctly! He was in the garage for 3 months this past winter when we had a lot of snow. He was up in the rafters and I never saw him. But, he had food and a heated bed so I didn't worry. He's been outside since I left the garage door open early April, and I see him outside now twice a day; morning and night when I feed him. He is always a good 6 feet away and not out in the open . . . either in behind some bushes waiting or under my car.

Thanks to everyone for all your advice. It helps to know you all are cheering for me.

I would prefer to bring him to the vet a few weeks after I get him inside the crates; just after his bad experience after trapping last time. I'd like to get him somewhat calmer in my house if possible first. His eyes are clear and yesterday I gave him a capstar for fleas, and can buy some panacur to put in his food once he's inside for worms. He will not get loose in the house if I have him crated, so at this point I don't think he can give anything to my two inside cats.

I will not let them near each other for sure, nor near my two dogs. He is aware of the dogs, as he watches them in the yard every morning from his hiding place. He knows our routine here.

Liz

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about this feral except that he's never been inside. His ear tip is hard to see because all his long black fur has grown in for years and he's about 4 or 5. He's always alone.

This feral fellow "Oscar" showed up last Dec 2020 about a month after my beloved black kitty had to be pts due to heart failure. He was 17 and the most spectacular soul I have ever known. Anyway, when I am being ridiculous, sometimes I think that my deceased kitty sent him to me since he knew I'd help. I had found my sweet boy 17 years earlier dumped in the woods with his litter - as tiny kittens. They scattered and yet I spent 6 hours and eventually found all four . . and I kept him. He was solid black and so sweet. And this feral boy is solid black too.

Anyway, thank you for respecting how much of a wreck I am about this - since I want to do the right thing for him . . . and it's not about me. And of course, I don't want to end up in the ER with bites either!

Hopefully I will do it tomorrow or Monday. Thank you everyone!
Well, each of us has his/her own belief system. I truly believe that the soul is eternal and that our ascended loved ones watch over us and can guide us. After losing my soul mate Simba, I was at the vet getting our Sunny his checkup and treatment (for dry-form FIP) and the vet tech told us she'd rescued two kittens, adopted one, and did we want to see the other one? I said no, being deep in grief and not looking to adopt; but when she told me more, I reluctantly agreed to see her. Well, long story longer, a very wild and distant-seeming Rani joined our large cat family that day; Simba was definitely communicating that I should give this kitten a home and share the love I had shared with her, with Rani. We had 19 amazing years together, and Rani's spirit was very much like Simba's. I know it was arranged!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I categorize cats with one of the following categories: Strays (once owned cat who are now on the streets), Semi-Ferals( Cats who were born outdoors, but have interactions with humans. E.g. Cat Feeding). Stray cats can revert to a Semi Feral state if they have not reconnected with humans over a period of time. Ferals(Cats who were born outdoors and are very wary of humans. They can be very independent, but may also get fed by caretakers. They can be shy, skiddish, or may show some aggression if they feel uncomfortable. Due to no or limited human interactions in the critical period of socialization as a kitten and most likely raised by a feral mom--they do not really trust humans. I believe most outdoor kitties are either in Category 1 (Strays) or Category 2 (Semi Ferals). Like Jcatbird Jcatbird I have dealt with cats I thought were true ferals because their lack of trust and aggressive nature, only to find out that they were just scared. They calmed down and began to trust me after a period of time. I also had funny encounters with some of my cats when I was trying to trap other cats on my block. My colony cats that were already tnred would go into the traps and get retrapped.🙄 They were not stressed and knew I wasn't going to hurt them. I guess I spoiled them when I was holding them pre and post TNR. I feed them well, talk to them, spray pheromone spray to promote calmness, and put heaters close by to keep them warm. I kept one female for a week (late spay) and thought she was going to go nuts in a crate for a week, but she fared out well. I felt we connected on another level and after I released her, she was a much nicer cat. It all boils down to trust. This takes time and the more feral a cat is it will take quite a while. There have been true ferals rehabilated but it takes alot of time, effort, and patience. Semi Ferals come around much quicker because positive interaction with humans has already been established and it makes them more trusting of humans.

I think the kitty you are taking care of has had some negative encounters with being trapped. Being left in a trap for 6 days by those trappers was a very stressful thing for this kitty to have gone through. It is going to take time and plenty of positive reinforcement to overcome any complex he might have developed with being trapped, being confined in doors and being in a crate. Make his enviroment as safe as possible, with places to hide if he feels stressed. Also, use a Phermone spray for calmess (it works for some cats). Place toys in his space for stimulation. A bored angry cat needs to have it's energy refocused on healthy outlets. Play is that healthy outlet. In time, you may be able to use the feather wands to interact with him. Meet this kitty where he is at. Respect boundaries, and don't push anything the kitty is not ready for. Make this kitty feel safe and comfortable. This is what I did for cats and kittens either when I held them for TNR or got them off the streets. Just take it day by day, and note any improvements. If you fear that this cat may attack you, you must protect yourself by keeping decent space between the kitty, wearing protective gloves and cloths, etc. Cats usually warn you when they may lash out at you. Flattened ears, dilated eyes, a twitching or stomping tail, hissing, spitting, and growling are common signs. However, I have seen cats show all these signs and not attack me. I like to present a calming nature. From a safe distance, kneel on the floor (make yourself smaller and less threating), speak in a calming voice, do not make direct eye contact, show you mean no harm. This cat needs to have 2 things reinforced over and over by positive reinforcement presented by a calm demeanor. 1) You mean it no harm. 2) It is safe in your care. Keep working on this and you will break through. Best of luck to you. Thank you for helping this kitty. It is a rewarding experience helping homeless kitties. It has been for me.🙂

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As Jackson Galaxy observes, a cat's basic life pattern is Hunt-Catch-Kill-Eat-Groom-Sleep. Play is hunting behavior; catching the lure or the toy is catching and "killing". Eating, grooming, and sleeping are self-explanatory. Cats need to do all of these to be their natural, best selves.
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Agree! Those CATegories (sorry, couldn't resist) are fluid, too -- a feral cat treated well over a period of time may come to trust the human who is feeding and caring for him or her. A "domestic" cat may lose the familiar behaviors and "revert" if his or her life is one of abuse and neglect. As with people, trust and respect are earned, not engendered through fear or intimidation. If your intentions are loving and nurturing, a cat will in time come to know this. Cats are very intelligent, intuitive and sensitive beings.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
As Jackson Galaxy observes, a cat's basic life pattern is Hunt-Catch-Kill-Eat-Groom-Sleep. Play is hunting behavior; catching the lure or the toy is catching and "killing". Eating, grooming, and sleeping are self-explanatory. Cats need to do all of these to be their natural, best selves.
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Agree! Those CATegories (sorry, couldn't resist) are fluid, too -- a feral cat treated well over a period of time may come to trust the human who is feeding and caring for him or her. A "domestic" cat may lose the familiar behaviors and "revert" if his or her life is one of abuse and neglect. As with people, trust and respect are earned, not engendered through fear or intimidation. If your intentions are loving and nurturing, a cat will in time come to know this. Cats are very intelligent, intuitive and sensitive beings.
I agree with everything you said. So very true. Cats truly are very Intelligent, Intuitive, and sensitive beings. They are beautiful inside and out. ❤❤❤

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
An update as to my progress.

So, I have been getting him to eat halfway into the trap. And, sometimes while eating he even pushes the paper plate all the way into the end of the trap. So, I thought no problem in trapping him. Well, I was wrong.

Last Monday and Tuesday, I went out and said good morning, very calmly set it with food at the end, and walked away. HE WOULD NOT GO NEAR IT!!

What . . does he read my mind? I waited an hour and then couldn't take it anymore, zip-tied it up, and put the food midway. He went in and ate.

I have tried catnip, stinky food, dribbling food into it etc. That doesn't work. So I am not sure what to do. It's as if he knows my behavoirs so well that anything "off" alarms him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
An update as to my progress.

So, I have been getting him to eat halfway into the trap. And, sometimes while eating he even pushes the paper plate all the way into the end of the trap. So, I thought no problem in trapping him. Well, I was wrong.

Last Monday and Tuesday, I went out and said good morning, very calmly set it with food at the end, and walked away. HE WOULD NOT GO NEAR IT!!

What . . does he read my mind? I waited an hour and then couldn't take it anymore, zip-tied it up, and put the food midway. He went in and ate.

I have tried catnip, stinky food, dribbling food into it etc. That doesn't work. So I am not sure what to do. It's as if he knows my behavoirs so well that anything "off" alarms him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Keep doing what you're doing. And if you haven't already, try camouflaging the trap to blend in with the surroundings by covering it with toweling or paper or blanket.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The time I covered it he totally avoided it. The time I lined the bottom, he avoided it.I I have him going into it without anything different except the trap door being zip tied up. He goes in right away, half way. The minute I cut the paper plate in half to place at the end . . . and remove the zip tie to set, he won't go in. I think that subtle changes put him on high alert.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The time I covered it he totally avoided it. The time I lined the bottom, he avoided it.I I have him going into it without anything different except the trap door being zip tied up. He goes in right away, half way. The minute I cut the place and half to place at the end . . . and remove the zip tie to set, he won't go in. I think that subtle changes put him on high alert.
So he's very sensitive and intuitive. But you need to get him trapped before you can help him. SO keep doing what you're doing. He'll continue doing what he's doing--until he slips up.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What . . does he read my mind?
Yes, they do. I've done a fair bit of TNR and I've come to the conclusion that they pick up on your anxiety and know something is off. Cats have an amazing sense of hearing, so they might be able to tell that your heart is beating faster or that your breathing is different and this makes them extra cautious.

If you are going to be trapping close to where the cat is eating try to keep yourself as calm as possible. I find it helps to sit down, so bring a blanket or piece of cardboard to sit on. Breath deeply and close your eyes. The cat will relax if he thinks you've got your eyes closed. You can open them a tiny bit to see if he is going into the trap, but make sure you keep sitting down, breathing deeply and looking at the ground in front of you, rather than staring at him directly.

Start edging the food bowl further back into the trap every day from now on. Just a centimeter every couple of days is enough. He's been trapped before so he's very trap smart. I think you're going to have to wait until he is comfortable eating right at the back of the trap before you can remove the zip ties. Star your sitting down meditation routine next time you feed him too, so he sees this as normal behaviour.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Norachan,

I didn't know that they were that perceptive, but he must be if he's been alive this long as a 4 or 5 year old feral. Also, given I have been feeding him for almost a year - he knows me very well, most likely better than any human ever.

I understand about sitting and grounding myself, but he will not come out to eat at all if I am within 20 feet of the trap. I have to go in the house for him to come out. The only time I can get within 4 feet of him is if he is under the protection of the bushes, or under my car. To come out in the open and eat his breakfast, I have to walk away.

I will do my best to be as "normal" as possible.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was working on trying to trap a hard to trap feral, I too would set off the bells and whistles that something was different. I used to think that the cat could hear my pounding heart. It always made me so nervous. I would then have my husband go out and place the food and set the trap. It worked like a charm each time.

As everyone said above, just keep trying each day. If you are removing the food because he won't eat it, then just let him walk away. If he's really hungry he will go inside.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone.

It is just so frustrating since he will always go halfway into the trap . ..but that final half he won't. The trip plate is not visible so that's not it.

I wish I could change his depth perception so that the last half of the trap didn't appear so long! Like I said - the first half, no problem after months of inching the food further in.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Idea for zip tie! Put the zip tie on as usual but just make a little bigger loop and then carefully cut it leaving it in place so that if he trips it the door will close but he will see the tie in place as usual. :goodluck::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::bigeyes::purr::catrub:
I tried that already . . .but will leave it in place cut now for good! I also wonder if it makes a difference if I try to trap first thing in the morning . . .or at 5 pm when I feed him again. Does anyone know if time of day matters based on cat's habits or tendency to be less "on guard?"

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried that already . . .but will leave it in place cut now for good! I also wonder if it makes a difference if I try to trap first thing in the morning . . .or at 5 pm when I feed him again. Does anyone know if time of day matters based on cat's habits or tendency to be less "on guard?"
Cats in their natural habitat are crepuscular, meaning they are most active at dawn and dusk, and they hunt at these times because their prey is active at these times (small rodents). So your feeding times are the best!
Cats may well be more sensitive than humans, according to some experts; their senses of smell and hearing are far more acute than ours. You may try spraying the trap with Feliway, which is a feline pheromone mimic you can get on petco.com or probably just about any other venue that sells cat supplies. It helps cats to feel more confident and less stressed.