Feral in my garage

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am trying to trap him so I can bring him with me as she advised back last fall. He was in my garage all winter and spent all the time up in the rafters despite my best efforts.

i am trying to trap now and looking for suggestions beyond all the things I’ve tried. I tried to get rescue to use a drop trap but the are inundated. The vets office suggested that I zip tie the trap open and get him used to going into it with nothing happening. They said it can take a month but to do that.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright::grouphug:I mean her advice I reposted here at her request Yesterday at 10:19. I know how frustrating it is getting so much conflicting advice but as she told me what will work for a stray will not usually work for a feral and all of hers were ferals as is Oscar. Don't give up, you two do have a connection. Wish he hadnt been left in a cage for those 6 days.😿

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:alright::grouphug:I mean her advice I reposted here at her request Yesterday at 10:19. I know how frustrating it is getting so much conflicting advice but as she told me what will work for a stray will not usually work for a feral and all of hers were ferals as is Oscar. Don't give up, you two do have a connection. Wish he hadnt been left in a cage for those 6 days.😿
You and me both. I kept calling to get him back but had no idea

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s all about persistence and not losing faith in your instincts and trying the things that have worked for others. Out of the box might work. Kittens calls might work. Try everything. If you can suspend a tarp over something and put a trap under it or, better yet, a large crate with a door, you can better sneak up to trigger the trap or shut the door after Oscar has learned it is a safe place to eat. Cats hate being pursued because it feels like a predator is after them. Bringing them to where you need them works. Lead him in with anything he loves. He knows that igloo you have. Does he still trust it as a safe sanctuary? Make sure he can still see it and use it. Got a picnic table or something you can elevate it on? Putting it up a bit will make him feel safer. Get creative and try thinking like a small nervous animal. Put yourself in his paws. ;) Would you feel safe where you want him to go? Is it like a nice hiding place or cave? Could a predator sneak up on you there?
Gove him time to trust wherever you need him to go. If you can use multiple traps, do it! A larger trap like one for dogs may be less scary since it is bigger but make sure it does not carry the scent of any animal. I always wash them down with Clorox and water and dry completely before using. Important that you dry it well. Being consistent is important too. Keep feeding times regular.
If covering the trap with a towel isn’t enough, put some branches over it too but be sure that does not keep it from closing. Putting the trap inside a box , slightly larger than the trap is something that works for some.
Have you tried just feeding him back in the garage? He knows you now. He is letting you get very close. From all my experiences, you can get Oscar! You can! Slowly move his food towards the garage if nothing else works. I have had more than one feral who would not allow me to touch, follow me home! Once they started eating inside, I simply shut the door! Is there a small room off the garage that could be used to lead him to? Try everything because I know you have already established a tight bond. He trusts you but he is nervous. Don’t give up. He needs you.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I owe you an update on my feral boy. So, I purchased a box trap and everyday for the past 3 months, I have been feeding him closer and closer to it. And, now I put the food in the trap and he goes in. So, I will be able to trap him I believe!

That said, I have some concerns which I would love your input on.

Last year, the group that trapped him where the "feral expert" evaluated him, she said he was extremely feral and "went at me and was nasty." She said I could get hurt with him. So, she instilled some fear in me about the whole thing. She didn't get into detail about where she kept him or how she evaluated, but I have to take her word for it. That said, I still don't want to abandon him when I move. I feel like I have three options:
1. Try him inside and see if he can tolerate it or not.
2. Leave him where he is.
3. Find a sanctuary and pay them $800 to take him to live out his life.

Let's start with number 3 first. I am a bit hesitant about this since while I would find a reputable one, he gets put in a place that is unfamiliar with other cats around. I assume they know what they are doing and he'd be safe, but I will still worry. But, it is an option.

With 2., I don't want to leave him here after I have been feeding him 2x a day for the past year. His habit will be destroyed when they "landscape" and build onto or demolish my house. So, this is not an option.

So finally option 1. I want to try this but the woman who "evaluated" him last year kind of scared me. I do think I can trap him and did set up a couple of dog crates attached and so he has a bit of room. I don't know if cats will charge you or go after you like she said. I don't know. He's a tough old feral and will hiss and stand his ground if I approach him when he's out in the open. He doesn't hiss and run away, he hisses and puffs up.

So, that worries me a bit. Also, if I get him in the crates and have him a month and he is miserable and not eating, and I decide to go the sanctuary route, how do I get him back in the trap to transport? I hate to seem so detail oriented but I have one shot to trap him and want to make sure I don't waste it. I need to have a plan.

So the most pressing questions are - do tough ferals "go after" you? I know they only do if they feel cornered or trapped, but will he feel that way in a dog crate in my home? What do you think?

And secondly, if he is totally miserable in the crate after a month and not eating, how will I be able to get him from there into a trap for transport to the sanctuary if I have to?

I live alone and it's hard to get another pair of hands to help.

Thank you for whatever guidance you can share.

Liz

PS. To reiterate, I don't expect to make him a pet. And it's OK if I can never pet him or touch him. I just don't want to move from here when I find my new home and leave him without a food source. Ideally, I could move him to my new place and set him up in a bedroom or the basement with windows, a cat tree, etc. He could live out his life without the worry of food or snowstorms if he can tolerate being inside.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about building him a catio that he could safely live in outside. It would be enclosed and safe from the elements. You could even have it attach to the house via a window or door so he could come and go.

From my experience, even my most scared and frightened feral cats who hiss, spit, growl and yowl, learn to mellow and live inside.

I would think that living in a crate for a month would be very very hard on him. Would you have a spare room? I would try to find a spare room that is nearly empty. No bed for him to hide under and not large furniture. Keep the windows closed and keep blinds and drapes out of the way. Provide a cat tree so he can look outside.

Get some catnip.
Feliway diffusers
Calming treats or Composure liquid max

Also many cats can take longer than a month. If he's not eating that is a concern, but don't set a date of one month instead just take it day by day and watch the changes. Try your best to not be fearful. Cats can really sense fear. Be calm. Talk calmly. Tell him that you are going to take him with you to a new home. It will be safe.

A few of my feral cats have charged the window when they are first released in a room. It's natural instinct. I then just close the blinds or cover the window. After awhile, they calm. It's normal for the cat not to eat once inside for the first day. So have stinky food to entice him. Canned tuna often works well.

Even though you have never pet him, he knows you and he trusts you.

When you trap him, will he get any vet care first? I would be sure that he is up to date on vaccines and tested for FIV and FELV.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about building him a catio that he could safely live in outside. It would be enclosed and safe from the elements. You could even have it attach to the house via a window or door so he could come and go.

I cannot build a catio since I will be moving. I am actively looking for a house and making offers and not staying where I am.

From my experience, even my most scared and frightened feral cats who hiss, spit, growl and yowl, learn to mellow and live inside.

I would think that living in a crate for a month would be very very hard on him. Would you have a spare room? I would try to find a spare room that is nearly empty. No bed for him to hide under and not large furniture. Keep the windows closed and keep blinds and drapes out of the way. Provide a cat tree so he can look outside.

I agree a crate would be hard on him, especially living outside his whole life and he's about 4 or so. That said, I cannot put him in a room since I have two big dogs and 2 inside cats and cannot take a chance of him getting out. It would be a disaster.

Get some catnip.
Feliway diffusers
Calming treats or Composure liquid max

Also many cats can take longer than a month. If he's not eating that is a concern, but don't set a date of one month instead just take it day by day and watch the changes. Try your best to not be fearful. Cats can really sense fear. Be calm. Talk calmly. Tell him that you are going to take him with you to a new home. It will be safe.

I am not setting an exact date of a month. But if he is miserable in the crate - I have to figure out when it starts being cruel and have a plan.

When you trap him, will he get any vet care first? I would be sure that he is up to date on vaccines and tested for FIV and FELV.
When he was trapped last Nov - he got rabies and distemper. That's it. I gave him a capstar last night. Does he need the added trauma of going to the vet when I first trap him?

I am still trying to get advice on if you think he will "go after me" as the feral evaluator said when he is in the crate and I open the door to put food in. Also, second question is how to get him into the trap from the crate to transport to sanctuary or vet if need be.

Thanks.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you plan to bring him inside your home, I would definitely do a vet visit for FIV and FELV testing. Once you trap him, see if you can get a vet to see him on short notice. You could also ask the vet for some gabapentin once he is inside. Gabapentin can be mixed into food. It will make the cat very mellow. To me they act drunk. It is the only way I can handle a few of my feral cats when vet care is needed. They become like a wet noodle. I can then put a blanket around them and pop into the carrier.

If you are keeping him in a crate, you might need a divider to separate areas of the crate so you can easily get inside to scoop litter and feed. He most likely will hiss at you and maybe even growl. I cannot say if he will go after you. Cages are hard for cats for long term.

I was talking about you building a catio at your new home.

What kind of crate are you keep him in? How large is it?

We all want to do our best to help you.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you plan to bring him inside your home, I would definitely do a vet visit for FIV and FELV testing. Once you trap him, see if you can get a vet to see him on short notice. You could also ask the vet for some gabapentin once he is inside. Gabapentin can be mixed into food. It will make the cat very mellow. To me they act drunk. It is the only way I can handle a few of my feral cats when vet care is needed. They become like a wet noodle. I can then put a blanket around them and pop into the carrier.

If you are keeping him in a crate, you might need a divider to separate areas of the crate so you can easily get inside to scoop litter and feed. He most likely will hiss at you and maybe even growl. I cannot say if he will go after you. Cages are hard for cats for long term.

I was talking about you building a catio at your new home.

What kind of crate are you keep him in? How large is it?

We all want to do our best to help you.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if I am bringing him in my home! That is what I am trying to figure out. I know I am not an expert and need help!

My options are limited. If I don't bring him in my home, then I just leave him here and move. I feel like I have to bring him in my home - as my options are the three I described in my last post. No neighbors, no rescue etc to help. So again, options:
1. Do nothing and move
2. Find a sanctuary in another state, pay them, and bring him there and hope for the best.
3. Bring him inside and see if it's possible.

Regarding the FIV testing - why is this important? He won't be around my other animals. Is it worth the stress of bringing him in the cage there? Leaving him for a day (they are super busy) and so he'll be trapped 24 hrs? I don't want to do that if possible.

It's a dog crate attached to another dog crate. 40" to another 40" crate so like an L. Bed in one end and food/litter in the other.

So, if I am understanding, he may or may not try to attack me when he's in the crate and I am putting food in? And as far as getting him back out of the crate, you are suggesting I drug him and then can do it?

Thanks

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leaving him would be cruel. You have been feeding and caring for him so essentially it is abandonment. The testing is important if he comes inside to live. You never know if he would get out and come in contact with your other animals. Also at some point you may want to introduce him to your other cats. It's more of a protection for your other cats.

If you need to get him into another crate down the road, gabapentin is a good tool. Many vets are using it these days to easily examine frightened cats. This cannot be used if he is living outside and wandering as it would not be safe at all.

The cage area sounds fine. For peace of mind, you might find a barrier you could slide down to keep him on one end when you clean litter or feed him. Be sure litter and food are not close to one another. Many cats won't eat where they pee/poop.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing his initial evaluation was done in, at best, a cage large enough to hold a feral box and litter tray but not much larger than that. It could also have been straight from the trap, which would be even more traumatizing. When the evaluator would go in to clean/feed he could easily have felt extremely vulnerable trapped in such an enclosed space and lashed out. From the description of your setup it sounds like he'd have much more room between you and him; if you also put a large cat condo/igloo/house in one corner for him to hide in whenever you need to access the crate he'll feel much less threatened and therefore less likely to "charge" at you.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My options are limited. If I don't bring him in my home, then I just leave him here and move. I feel like I have to bring him in my home - as my options are the three I described in my last post. No neighbors, no rescue etc to help. So again, options:
1. Do nothing and move
2. Find a sanctuary in another state, pay them, and bring him there and hope for the best.
3. Bring him inside and see if it's possible.

Regarding the FIV testing - why is this important? He won't be around my other animals. Is it worth the stress of bringing him in the cage there? Leaving him for a day (they are super busy) and so he'll be trapped 24 hrs? I don't want to do that if possible.
Nice to hear from you again Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom I'm glad that you're making progress.

I definitely recommend either option 2 or 3. If you go for option 2 they probably will test him for FIV and FeLV before they accept him. Unless they are a sanctuary that have areas specifically for cats that test positive for either virus they may euthanize him. So you need to be sure what their policies are regarding FeLV or FIV + cats.

I don't know what you've found so far, but I know it can be very expensive to get a cat into a really good sanctuary. The The Cat House on the Kings ask $5,000 to accept a cat.

Option 3: If you have a large dog crate made of two crates wired together you could make some kind of sliding door/barrier between the two. I would have one side as his safe house, with a covered carrier and comfy bed, the other side as his food and litter box area. That way you can slide the barrier between the two crates while he is sleeping so you can scoop the litter and leave more food and water safely.

I'm actually with you on the not testing for FeLV or FIV at this stage. If your situation changes and there is a possibility he will come into contact with other animals in future you could rethink that, but for now it does seem like extra stress for no reason. Most male cats who have been outside for any length of time are FIV+, but as there is no cure for the virus you could just work under the assumption that he is infected. He's already been vaccinated, so the way I would work with an FIV+ cat is to make sure I keep up with his worm and flea treatment and feed him the best possible diet. Look out for dental problems. Bad breath, drooling, trouble eating etc. He may need extra medical care in future, but I wouldn't worry about that right now.

So, if I am understanding, he may or may not try to attack me when he's in the crate and I am putting food in? And as far as getting him back out of the crate, you are suggesting I drug him and then can do it?
This video by Flatbush Cats showed how they coped with a very feral mother in a crate.

So, when you move house you are going to need to get him back into a carrier and move him again, is that right? Yes, medicating him so you can pick him up and transport him is an option. I moved house with my first feral rescue that way. I don't know what the medication is called in the US, but in Japan the vet prescribes a motion sickness medicine that also acts as a sedative. We mixed it with her food, waited until she fell asleep, loaded her into a carrier lined with pee pads and drove for about 6 hours before she woke up.

Ask your vet what they recommend

Keep us posted!

:goodluck:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your advice. I really am concerned he may be miserable in the crate, assuming that I can get him in there safely. I kinda wish he had never shown up starving and going through my recycling. But he did, and I couldn't ignore him out in the bad weather.
Anyway, I guess I will do my best to have him inside and see how it goes. I am nervous about it no doubt which is why I keep delaying it. But, I am getting closer to finding a house and that will be 300 miles away so I can't just leave him.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I know how you feel! I ended up with my 20+ the same way, but it all worked out in the end. When you bring them indoors you will continually doubt yourself at first as it's hard watching them go through the adjustment to being indoor/enclosure cats. The first 30 days are fraught. But gradually they realise that they're not going to be hurt and they start to accept their new home and enjoy life.

:hugs:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is very nerve wracking. Yet do try to remain calm and tell yourself that you are doing the very best for him. It can be hard and you will want to set the cat free, but stick with it. Most will in time adjust and learn to love inside living.

When I moved with my 3 feral cats, I was so worried about one of them. I had not been able to touch him and he was so skittish. When I trapped him for his neuter, he was a disaster. When I released him he left for 8 months. I was certain he was dead. Yet he came back. It was as though he knew I was going to help him.

When I got him inside he hid under a chair for days. He never made a sound or tried to escape, but would not come out. He gradually came out. I brought a mobile vet to the house for vaccines and blood tests. He was awful. The vet had to sedate him and he still was somewhat awake. I figured I had made a huge mistake. Yet after the vet visit, he calmed. We moved a few weeks later and it was like a clean slate.

Now a few years later, he is amazing. He loves to be pet and I can even pick him up. He plays and is such a different cat. When I trapped him for his neuter, he was a disaster. When I release him he left for 8 months. I was certain he was dead. Yet he came back. It was as though he knew I was going to help him. You would never believe this cat today. He is so happy. Others may never see him, but he is warm, safe and free of danger.

We are all here to help you along the way. Just tell him what is going to happen. Tell him you are doing your very best for him. He knows you and he knows your voice. If he cannot adjust to your new home, you could have a catio built for him. He could live outside in an enclosure and still be safe. Some catios even can be made to offer access to the inside if your weather is cold.

Keep us posted.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose and tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 haven't you two successfully rehabilitated ferals? I know all of Jcatbird Jcatbird over 100 were all feral and are all now all contented house kittys. All but 1 or 2 of the 28 who share her home don't even want to go outside, they remember how bad it was out there. It took a while for some of them to become acclimated but never give up. He may seem unhappy but in the end will be happier, live a longer and better life inside and will come to realize it. @Jcatbirds two who do go out are in harness and are delighted to come back inside.