Feral in my garage

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello - I borrowed both a drop trap and a round trap. I decided that I would not be able to use the drop trap alone and so am going to try the round trap. I feel a bit afraid of him truth be told - so I hope I’m up for it! I have two large dog crates inside attached together in a separate room. Will try to trap him and then put ihim in to see if I can work with him. I don’t mind if he has to hide for weeks as long as he’s eating. Here he is this morning behind a fence next to the stick pile.

I’m going to try trapping him next to my car at night. I can watch from the window. He only comes up to ear ans then leaves and so if it’s going to happen - it will happen quickly. I’ve started feeding him near the round trap and amhoping it won’t be a big deal.

Attachments

shadowsrescue

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am thinking about you and hoping for the best. Just remember it is not unusual for a cat to not eat at first. Be sure to have lots of yummy stinky food on hand. I always have tuna in oil, turkey or chicken baby food (Gerber stage 1 in the glass jar) and plain cooked chicken. It can take a few days, but as long as a few morsels are eaten that is good. Most will start eating again in a day or two.

Also another tip is to keep the two dog crates covered. I usually cover on all sides but one. This really helps them to feel safe. After a week if things are going ok, I then uncover another side. Also if needed I cover the 4th side.

Another idea is to have a wireless ip camera to keep tabs on him. You can find Wyze cameras on Amazon pretty cheap. It will help you to know what is going on in the room.

Keep us posted. Just stay calm. I just know you can do this!!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! I saw him this morning as he sat way back in the side bushes and watched my two big dogs walk and sniff around the yard. I think he likes to sit over there to observe me up at the house. I may go back to feeding him in that spot only and trap him there. I will move the trap down there later so he gets used to its presence. I will then try feeding him right next to it and then finally inside.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am actively looking for a house to buy but the market is very competitive here with little inventory. But I would say 2 months at the earliest.

I saw him this morning; he is always somewhere close. He was at the side of the yard behind some bushes and watches me and my two dogs. They have no idea he is there. I do and after I bring them in, I feed him. I am debating trying to trap him there at 6 am or at night next to my car at 9:30 pm. I can watch both areas from my house and if he goes in .. run right out. Does anyone have any experience whether early morning or at night would be better? If he does go in the trap, then I will carry it inside and put the trap in the crate.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think it makes a great deal of difference either way. When I've TNR'd colonies I've trapped in the evening because they would be taken for surgery first thing in the morning. If they'd been in the trap all night I knew they wouldn't have eaten anything, so could safely be anaesthetised. But as Oscar isn't going to have surgery I think trap at whatever time is the most convenient for you.

Make sure once he's trapped you cover the trap before moving it. He'll be calmer that way. Make sure you wear gloves too. I've been scratched through the sides of a covered trap before, so be careful.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Norachan. I moved the trap to the side yard since that seems to be a new routine for him. He's there at 6 am, watches my dogs, and then I bring out food. I put the round tomahawk trap down there closed and today fed him a plate of food next to the trap. Not sure if I should zip tie the trap shut and feed him once more almost in the trap with the door open or not. For the trap to work,he has to go completely in and kind of turn to where the food is. I am using that instead of a regular box trap since he may not recognize it. Not sure.

The key is getting him safely inside and in the dog crates that I have set up. Safely for him and for me!