Feral in my garage

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
SOS . . . .I was able to trap him - and I immediately covered the trap with a blanket. That said, even though I waited about 20 minutes and then went over talking to him in a calm and gentle voice - he lunged and must have strike the trap 4 times and spit.

He's a big boy probably about 16 lbs. I hate to say this - but I am afraid to bring him inside. He's super fast and the strikes are scary. I am sorry to seem like such a coward but am being honest.

What do you think? I have to make a decision to let him go or bring him in.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom I would take him in the trap and bring him into your safe room you have for him. Keep the trap covered. Be sure the room is ready for him as well as the cage. If you can lower the trap into the cage that might help too. Keep talking to him calmly. It is completely normal for the cat to flail, spit, growl and try to get out.

For the cage set up, you might have a cubicle/cat den/ safe place to hide for him so that at first he does not have to be out in the wide open.

Please check in when you can.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is so scary when he strikes the cage and it's hard to carry him in the trap alone - he's about 15 lbs. Do you think i really should bring him in? He's in the trap outside now with it covered but one end open so he can see out and get air. It's heavy and hard to carry -

I was going to put the trap in the crate and then try to open from outside the crate. The problem is that it's so heavy to carry without picking up and holding against my chest which I won't do. No one to help.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you let him go, you will never ever catch him again. He will have no one to care for him. If you cannot care for him, can you call a shelter for help or take him to a sanctuary?

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you let him go, you will never ever catch him again. He will have no one to care for him. If you cannot care for him, can you call a shelter for help or take him to a sanctuary?
I called a rescue group in the area. They have a barn cat program that he may be able to get into. That said - frankly I don't know if it's a good solution. They are the same ones who had him in the trap for 6 days.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no. I would be very leery of that. I would be assured that the barn cats are still fed and not expected to only hunt for their food.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a few thoughts on all of this:

1. He is exhibiting completely normal behavior when in the trap. Especially given the fact he was held in a trap for 6 days. You too are exhibiting normal behavior. Fear, anxious and not knowing what to do. I find in these situations, it's best to have a plan as well as a back up plan. You want him safe and you want him cared for.

2. There will be challenges along the way. He could get into the cage and calm down if you have a place for him to hide. He also could take awhile to calm down. I find that if you put them in a room inside the cage and cover the cage and leave them for awhile, they will calm. You can come into the room every hour or so and talk calmly to him. After a few hours, you might be able to release him from the trap into the cage. Each step will present challenges.

3. Once in the cage, he will need a litter box, place to eat and place to hide. He may not eat for a day or so. He may not use the litter box. These can all be challenges. You need to be prepared at each step. I have had some feral cats adjust very quickly and eat that same day. Others take a day or so. I also have had some that do not use the litter box right away. That will present challenges in cleaning the cage.

4. If you are frightened and fear you cannot do each of the steps, then looking for an alternative might be your best option. If you do bring him inside, there will be the challenge of when you move and also a challenge of getting him vet care when needed. At some point he will need to be let out of the cage. That will present another challenge. Doing all of this alone can be hard.

5. I do believe that this can all be done. I am not saying it will be easy without challenges. You can either commit do trying or find a placement for him. The commitment can take many months. It will be a complete work in progress. When working with feral cats, it's often one step forward and 2 steps back. You might find that he was once an owned cat and lived inside a house. He may very well calm down. These are answers you will not know unless you try.

6. Is it possible to have a neighbor, friend, family member to come over to help you get him into the house and cage? Do you have thick gloves to wear?

I wish I could give you the magic answer. I can only give you my experiences. As I have said, I have worked with cats that appeared very aggressive in the trap and once removed from the trap and allowed to calm down, they are just plain scared. Only you can make the decision on what is best for you and what your tolerance level will be moving forward. Getting him trapped was just step one in a long list of steps.

We are all here to help and support you.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi - I just heard from the local rescue who had trapped him before. THey said they have a barn program.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And that he could go there tomorrow. That they keep them inside the barn for 3 weeks and so the food is imprinted and then let them out to mouse and get fed.

I don't love it as there is no follow-up and I lose control. But the rescue said it's a great option and it's a miracle that someone will take him.

I honestly don't know.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They said that they do feed them . . but not sure if there is follow-up. I worry about him being out of his territory and everything he knows.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is an option for you. Why don't you give it some time to think about it. Bring him into your garage and keep him in the trap for the day. Even over night if needed. Weigh your pros and cons.

You could always try to bring him inside and if it doesn't work out take him to the rescue.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's an option but this group is not easy to work with. She said it's a miracle there is a space for him and it's great news. I will probably lose it if I say NO today - they are not patient since I am viewed as a pain in the ass and they have other priorities. I asked if there was follow-up on the barn cats and she said NO. That worries me. No vet care. They say they feed them but it's a person with a barn who wants a cat to mouse. They say they feed them but it's up to the individual. That worries me

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That would be a worry to me as well. Listen to your gut. Weigh the pros and cons.

You can give it try and bring him inside or allow the rescue to take him into the barn cat program. You could look for another rescue group, but in the mean time do not let him out of the trap.

Is there anyone who could at least help you bring him into your home?

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can probably manage to get him inside.

I am nervous about the barn cat program but will lose the spot.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I moved him closer to my house. I have a blanket over the trap. He is quiet but I have not touched it. He's been in there since 7 am . . about 4 hours now. THat is cruel?

I have my dogs and cats locked up. Not sure if I should bring him inside or leave him out and decide on barn cat program. I hate it since he will not die an easy death as a barn cat someday or if he gets into a fight with another cat - there will be no care since you can't trap him.

If I do put him inside - is it possible to trap him or get him in a carrier once he is in the large crate inside?