Feral in my garage

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can’t feed him and get closer since he won’t come down if I’m there. He just stays up in the loft. And tonight I went in there with no dogs in the yard and he booked up.

later when I went out with the dogs - I saw him sitting outside in the catio next to the window. He doesn’t go more than a few inches from the window - but at least he’s outside.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom
I do hope I can say a couple of things without sounding any other way except to encourage.Its not so easy to know who's who on the internet and so you really have to decide what makes sense to you and want doesnt.

Socializing ferals( true ferals,not strays) has been one of my favorite assignments throughout my career as a professional animal" trainers "- I first became interested when I did an internship at the Bronx Zoo handling big cats- I was studying animal behavior at the time.....just a little background to help you to know where I'm coming from.. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do or saying this is wrong or this is right,just hoping to contribute some useful info

There's hardly any difference between big cats,feral cats & domestic cats... except when there are species like tigers who go it alone yet all cats (:if given the opportunity and circujstance) are social animals.. Most animals are.

It seems you mentioned Oscar is a rogue &; has lived his 5 yrs alone? Correct me if I'm mistaken.Adult true ferals can be challenging and a rogue even the more.It happens by circumstance and not preference so they simply know nothing else.You have to ask yourself what your expectations are,if it's keeping Oscar safe,healthy and providing all his needs to live his fullest life expectancy then you've certainly accomplished that - he will live a comfortable life and eventually ( Maybe years) may come down from his lost confident that you pose no immediate threat

Not eveveryone has 4 to 8 hrs a day to dedicate to Socializing one animal but that's about what it would take unless his environment was a bit different. There are a couple of options depending on what you hope to achieve.Oscars present set up is magnificent to transition him from outdoor life to the safety of indoor life with out much stress BUT there's really no reason for him to make contact with you,in his mind..... he doesn't desire what he's never known which is a bond or social structure

I'm not going to try to tell you what to do unless what I'm saying makes sense to you and you'd like something more.Id like to ask if you have any domestics in the house ,if you'd consider another cat for Oscar and if you desire a social relationship with him or if you'd be happy with him having a cat friend to give him a companion.... when dealing with ferals a very social & accepting cat can help tremendously,especially one that is well lead trained...

I'd like to help contribute suggestions to enable you to reach your goals,whatever they might be

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom
I do hope I can say a couple of things without sounding any other way except to encourage.Its not so easy to know who's who on the internet and so you really have to decide what makes sense to you and want doesnt.

Socializing ferals( true ferals,not strays) has been one of my favorite assignments throughout my career as a professional animal" trainers "- I first became interested when I did an internship at the Bronx Zoo handling big cats- I was studying animal behavior at the time.....just a little background to help you to know where I'm coming from.. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do or saying this is wrong or this is right,just hoping to contribute some useful info

There's hardly any difference between big cats,feral cats & domestic cats... except when there are species like tigers who go it alone yet all cats (:if given the opportunity and circujstance) are social animals.. Most animals are.

It seems you mentioned Oscar is a rogue &; has lived his 5 yrs alone? Correct me if I'm mistaken.Adult true ferals can be challenging and a rogue even the more.It happens by circumstance and not preference so they simply know nothing else.You have to ask yourself what your expectations are,if it's keeping Oscar safe,healthy and providing all his needs to live his fullest life expectancy then you've certainly accomplished that - he will live a comfortable life and eventually ( Maybe years) may come down from his lost confident that you pose no immediate threat

Not eveveryone has 4 to 8 hrs a day to dedicate to Socializing one animal but that's about what it would take unless his environment was a bit different. There are a couple of options depending on what you hope to achieve.Oscars present set up is magnificent to transition him from outdoor life to the safety of indoor life with out much stress BUT there's really no reason for him to make contact with you,in his mind..... he doesn't desire what he's never known which is a bond or social structure

I'm not going to try to tell you what to do unless what I'm saying makes sense to you and you'd like something more.Id like to ask if you have any domestics in the house ,if you'd consider another cat for Oscar and if you desire a social relationship with him or if you'd be happy with him having a cat friend to give him a companion.... when dealing with ferals a very social & accepting cat can help tremendously,especially one that is well lead trained...

I'd like to help contribute suggestions to enable you to reach your goals,whatever they might be
Back when Oscar showed up in 2020 - I didn’t want to feed him. He didn’t show up to me - but after I found all the empty cat food cans in the recycling bin licked clean, and my dogs chased a skin and bones cat from the bin at night - I couldn’t ignore his plight.

I was able to trap him and get him a rabies and distemper shot. He was already fixed and his ear notch was hard to see with all his fur. He is truly feral as I had tried him in my home in a separate room and he didn’t move for 4 days. He didn’t eat or drink - or eliminate. I let him go.

When I designed the catio for him - I knew when I created the sleeping loft that I was giving up any opportunity to socialize him. My goal was for him to feel comfortable since that took precedence over my desire to force the 5 percent chance I had to impact his feral nature.

I did not want to bring him when I moved. I did not want the responsibility nor the potential that he would not eat or be happy and then what? However - with me away for even 3 days after I moved - he was frantic when I’d return. Food was plentiful during the summer and he was frantic - so in winter - he’d definitely have starved.

So long way around saying that I realize he has no need or incentive to engage with me. Many people have commented that he will come to me but I hold no such hope.

My goal from day one was not to ignore a solitary old feral who was starving. And I know it probably won’t end well and my heart will be broken after years of care. He will get sick and I will have no way to treat him. I question frequently if I did right by him to bring him with me.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My goal from day one was not to ignore a solitary old feral who was starving. And I know it probably won’t end well and my heart will be broken after years of care. He will get sick and I will have no way to treat him. I question frequently if I did right by him to bring him with me.
Leaving Oscar behind when you moved would have been a disaster for him, and a never ending worry for you, as you would always wonder how he was doing. So without a doubt, hon, you did the right thing bringing him with you.

And one day, in the far future, if he gets sick, Oscar will know you're there to help him, and in his way will ask for your help. That is if he hasn't decided before then that he wants to be a house pet. I still hold out hope that it might happen as he gets older. But for now he has a luxurious home, lovely catio, is well feed, and is loved by a wonderful, kind human.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with rubysmama rubysmama . Generally, in my life experience with cats anyway, a cat WILL come to you when (s)he is in need/ill. Or at least they will let you come to them. Just like independent people, cats in need/distress know they need help and if they have learned that you are not a threat, they will allow access. So I wouldn't worry on that score.
Whether or not Oscar will ever give you the joy and fulfillment of contact, as wonderful as that would be, is secondary, I'm sure you agree, to keeping him safe and healthy. He is both. He's very comfortable, too. If he's been an outlier, he isn't missing a thing except the danger and uncertainty of being outside.
You did the right thing, for you and for HIM. Keep up the good work, and Kwik Kwik has some great info & suggestions to help you with that.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Back when Oscar showed up in 2020 - I didn’t want to feed him. He didn’t show up to me - but after I found all the empty cat food cans in the recycling bin licked clean, and my dogs chased a skin and bones cat from the bin at night - I couldn’t ignore his plight.

I was able to trap him and get him a rabies and distemper shot. He was already fixed and his ear notch was hard to see with all his fur. He is truly feral as I had tried him in my home in a separate room and he didn’t move for 4 days. He didn’t eat or drink - or eliminate. I let him go.

When I designed the catio for him - I knew when I created the sleeping loft that I was giving up any opportunity to socialize him. My goal was for him to feel comfortable since that took precedence over my desire to force the 5 percent chance I had to impact his feral nature.

I did not want to bring him when I moved. I did not want the responsibility nor the potential that he would not eat or be happy and then what? However - with me away for even 3 days after I moved - he was frantic when I’d return. Food was plentiful during the summer and he was frantic - so in winter - he’d definitely have starved.

So long way around saying that I realize he has no need or incentive to engage with me. Many people have commented that he will come to me but I hold no such hope.

You certainly did the right thing- there is no doubt about it!!!!

You have opened your heart and home to him,he's comfortable and he's already lived past the average ferals life expentancy- BECAUSE of YOU! Now he will not only live his full life expectancy but as healthily as that is possible ..... Don't ever let doubt get inside your sweet little head- you did the right thing ,Oscar loves you for it and so do I❤
My boy is 7,just in 40 days now-I understand your concerns taking a perfectly content cat in and wondering " will he ever be happy"....Well,we humans have this way of trying to put everything into human terms,like " happy" when in reality that's not really tye appropriate term for what appears to be " happiness".... but yeah,he's happy.. hes happy not having to watch 360 degrees around him for predators,,not being rained on or panting in the heat,shivering in the cold,watching the prey he couldn't catch because he's hungy and not having to constantly find a clean water source...he knows he's safe,he knows he's home,he knows what time he'll eat...and he knows that he can depend on you.... I'd say that equivalent to HAPPY

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You certainly did the right thing- there is no doubt about it!!!!

You have opened your heart and home to him,he's comfortable and he's already lived past the average ferals life expentancy- BECAUSE of YOU! Now he will not only live his full life expectancy but as healthily as that is possible ..... Don't ever let doubt get inside your sweet little head- you did the right thing ,Oscar loves you for it and so do I❤
My boy is 7,just in 40 days now-I understand your concerns taking a perfectly content cat in and wondering " will he ever be happy"....Well,we humans have this way of trying to put everything into human terms,like " happy" when in reality that's not really tye appropriate term for what appears to be " happiness".... but yeah,he's happy.. hes happy not having to watch 360 degrees around him for predators,,not being rained on or panting in the heat,shivering in the cold,watching the prey he couldn't catch because he's hungy and not having to constantly find a clean water source...he knows he's safe,he knows he's home,he knows what time he'll eat...and he knows that he can depend on you.... I'd say that equivalent to HAPPY
When it’s cooler he plays with toys and sleeps in a fluffy bed. The first time I saw him curled up in a fluffy bed soundly sleeping via video camera - I cried. I used to see him in a stick pile asleep on a hard log and I worried about predators. So yeah - he is happy. And now at night he goes out the catio in the cool night air and watches the night sky. So that’s good too.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it’s cooler he plays with toys and sleeps in a fluffy bed. The first time I saw him curled up in a fluffy bed soundly sleeping via video camera - I cried. I used to see him in a stick pile asleep on a hard log and I worried about predators. So yeah - he is happy. And now at night he goes out the catio in the cool night air and watches the night sky. So that’s good too.
For a cat like Oscar who wasn't social before, this has to be the BEST possible life! I'm sure he's very contented with his plush apartment and catio, wonderful regular food and clean water, treats, toys, and yes, a soft fluffy bed! :redheartpump: :blackcat2: :redheartpump:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You did the right thing and did the best thing for Oscar. Though Oscar don't really show it, he's grateful deep inside and on behalf of Oscar, we thank you.

From the last video, it shows much hope. I know you, you never give up on Oscar and Oscar knows that too and I'm sure that day will come when you can pet Oscar :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Last edited:

BuddhaCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

About two months ago I became aware of a cat trying to find food in my recycling bin (there were empty cat food cans in there from my two cats) when my dogs chased him away. I thought he must be a stray or feral since none of my neighbors are animal lovers. So, to help him, I started putting one small can out every night. That graduated to him coming here to be fed twice a day, in the morning and at night. I could not get near him, but he would eat and see me watching him through the storm door. His ear was notched but he was definitely alone. This went on for a month and then I called a rescue group to trap him to get him shots and for me potentially to bring him inside.

Anyway, the rescue group did trap him and get him shots, but the woman had him in a trap for 6 days unbeknownst to me. Anyway, that is water under the bridge but she said he was "very feral" and didn't think I should crate him in my house since he might "go for me." So, because the weather is bad, she released him in my garage. My garage is freezing but there is no snow or rain and I put a heated bed and also a down comforter along with litter in there.

He has been in there now for one month! He uses the litter and eats (only once a day even though I put food in the morning since I think he feels safer in the dark.) I have only seen him twice since he freaks when he sees me and flys up onto the rafters and so I quickly leave because I don't want him to hurt himself.
The question that I have is this: Do I leave the door open at night next week since it is getting warmer? So he can leave? I don't know if he will but should I give him that option? I will be moving from here in about 3 months and that worries me. I could always try to retrap him and bring him with me if I have too but he is very smart and so retrapping might not be possible. The other option is to keep him in the garage for another 3 months but that is a horrible option I think. There is nothing in there and he doesn't seem to be using the cats beds or blanket. I just think he's up on the rafters. I cannot work with him since he is terrified of me.

It makes me so sad that he has never known a kind hand or a warm bed and I want to help him if I can. I just don't know what to do next. He now has his shots and is neutered, and about 14 lbs, and 4 to 5 years old.

Thanks!!
thanks so much for caring. watch the videos by socialization saves lives on youtube. the more he can get used to you the better. sounds like the lady who left him in a trap and said that is a menace to animals!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom

I keep thinking about something that really stuck with me here and just thought I might mention it- not that it will change anything but just want to add ,share

True ferals,most certainly adults and especially especially a rogue-do not play with toys,it would take watching other cats play with toys or being enticed to engage by a human.. ferals just don't

I read where you mentioned Oscar plays with his toys and it stood out to me like a neon sign in the dark..... this tells me that Oscar became feral,he was not born feral

Who knows what this guy has been through?He was apparently TNRd but I wonder,was he someone's neglected indoor outdoor cat that was left behind,relocated? How'd he get nuetered,I wonder if he just happened by a colony that was being TNRd or did someone just want a " free" nueter?

Anyway,my point is that there's a part of Oscar that knows what toys are for-I can't imagine how this sweet sweet boy became so traumatized,how he came to a feral state and what has he suffered -that's what he knows about humans

So just the fact that he watches you from the rafters and his hair is not standing on end is amazing-hes not had any good experience from any human except you ....I knew someone who took in a boy like Oscar many years ago- he was roughly 3 or 4 yrs old,she had just lost her cat of many years and managed to get "Marvin" into her back patio-Marvin lived to be 22 yrs old and was the best friend she ever had but it took a very long time for him to come around -I believe she waited 4 yrs for him to walk on up and give her a rub

What made me think of her is the toys,Marvin loved toys-hed play all the time when she'd watch him on the patio.We knew he was somebody's cat once- he had many battle scars plus his tail was cut off by somebody .. after Marvin decided it was time to give this lady a closer look he never left her side..... Happy Ending

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom

I keep thinking about something that really stuck with me here and just thought I might mention it- not that it will change anything but just want to add ,share

True ferals,most certainly adults and especially especially a rogue-do not play with toys,it would take watching other cats play with toys or being enticed to engage by a human.. ferals just don't

I read where you mentioned Oscar plays with his toys and it stood out to me like a neon sign in the dark..... this tells me that Oscar became feral,he was not born feral

Who knows what this guy has been through?He was apparently TNRd but I wonder,was he someone's neglected indoor outdoor cat that was left behind,relocated? How'd he get nuetered,I wonder if he just happened by a colony that was being TNRd or did someone just want a " free" nueter?

Anyway,my point is that there's a part of Oscar that knows what toys are for-I can't imagine how this sweet sweet boy became so traumatized,how he came to a feral state and what has he suffered -that's what he knows about humans

So just the fact that he watches you from the rafters and his hair is not standing on end is amazing-hes not had any good experience from any human except you ....I knew someone who took in a boy like Oscar many years ago- he was roughly 3 or 4 yrs old,she had just lost her cat of many years and managed to get "Marvin" into her back patio-Marvin lived to be 22 yrs old and was the best friend she ever had but it took a very long time for him to come around -I believe she waited 4 yrs for him to walk on up and give her a rub

What made me think of her is the toys,Marvin loved toys-hed play all the time when she'd watch him on the patio.We knew he was somebody's cat once- he had many battle scars plus his tail was cut off by somebody .. after Marvin decided it was time to give this lady a closer look he never left her side..... Happy Ending
Thank you for this. I don’t know that ferals don’t play with toys. I don’t know what Oscar had been through but he was always alone. He was never with another cat or in a colony. I probably wouldn’t like his story if o knew it.

Today was hot and I had the air conditioner on and he was laying on the floor on the cooling pad where it’s cooler than in his loft. I went in and sat for 5 minutes and talked to him. Then I left. It may take 100 times - but I want him to know that I can come in - see him - and stay and leave and o don’t do anything bad.

again - I appreciate your observation abojt the toys.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this. I don’t know that ferals don’t play with toys. I don’t know what Oscar had been through but he was always alone. He was never with another cat or in a colony. I probably wouldn’t like his story if o knew it.

Today was hot and I had the air conditioner on and he was laying on the floor on the cooling pad where it’s cooler than in his loft. I went in and sat for 5 minutes and talked to him. Then I left. It may take 100 times - but I want him to know that I can come in - see him - and stay and leave and o don’t do anything bad.

again - I appreciate your observation abojt the toys.
I appreciate YOU!!( & so does Oscar)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You and Oscar with both on the floor at the same time? You know that's amazing, right! :bigeyes::redheartpump:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just keep trying. You just never know what might happen!!! He loves you and I know you love him dearly. I just know he has a much better life with you in it than without you. Just think what might have happened to him if he was left behind. Whenever I think of the two of you, it must makes me smile. This is a true success story!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just keep trying. You just never know what might happen!!! He loves you and I know you love him dearly. I just know he has a much better life with you in it than without you. Just think what might have happened to him if he was left behind. Whenever I think of the two of you, it must makes me smile. This is a true success story!
I’d feel a lot better if he could ask him how he’s doing!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d feel a lot better if he could ask him how he’s doing!
But of course you can!
Since you don't understand his language, though, you won't understand his answer :crackup:But his body language, his lustrous coat, playfulness, good appetite and everything about him should tell you quite a lot. ;)