Feral in my garage

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
So last night I went in for the final feed. My dogs were in the yard and I went in with his food and a little churu treat. He started to head up to the loft (his usual) and stopped! I don’t want to get too excited but I acted like no big deal and didn’t approach him so he’d regret it. But you can see him laying there watching me! I don’t know if he was just defending his turf or what!

You can hear my dog barking and me shushing him and he was howling at the end at the fire trucks. Oscar is used to noisy dogs!

How exciting! I think he is trusting, curious. Also he gives you the long slow blink, which is good. I love how he’s just all eyes and floof.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Also, my vote would be for rotating artwork on the wall above the fainting sofa. Maybe starting w/ a ‘70s “kitty on velvet” Teddy Pendergrass type thing.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Brought tears to my eyes to see! Yes, there were slow blinks, and he turned his head away for a couple of seconds too. He didn't flinch when you put the food on the rug either!!
What a huge step for him! This is so heartwarming. I didn't see any signs of stress from him. You must be over the moon.
Oh a Muppet! How appropriate.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Brought tears to my eyes to see! Yes, there were slow blinks, and he turned his head away for a couple of seconds too. He didn't flinch when you put the food on the rug either!!
What a huge step for him! This is so heartwarming. I didn't see any signs of stress from him. You must be over the moon.
Oh a Muppet! How appropriate.
I hope you’re right! He looked stressed to me since he was kind of frozen on the platform. I didn’t linger - I just left like it was no big deal. Should I keep doing that? He’s been in there one year!

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Almost all cats adore company, whether they like to admit it or not. Slow and steady wins the race to his heart and I’d imagine he’s yearning inside to know what it is to be loved. To be a lapcat Svengali requires you doing exactly what you already are: no direct eye contact, taking things on his terms, lots of conversation, staying low.…

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think this is great progress. I would definitely stay longer. Just sit on the floor so you are not looming over him or being threatening by standing. You can just sit and read, do something on your phone or talk quietly to him. I would not look directly at him. Keep your gaze low. Stay for no longer than 10 minutes then leave. You can gradually lengthen your stay. Way to go Oscar!!!

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is great progress. I would definitely stay longer. Just sit on the floor so you are not looming over him or being threatening by standing. You can just sit and read, do something on your phone or talk quietly to him. I would not look directly at him. Keep your gaze low. Stay for no longer than 10 minutes then leave. You can gradually lengthen your stay. Way to go Oscar!!!
Yeah yeah: read him aloud in sotto his favorite story. :)

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I go in there and sit often and read and talk to him - doing it for the past year he doesn’t come down from the loft. And tonight when I walked in - he zoomed up to his hiding place. Who knows - maybe yesterday was a fluke but I hope not. I hope he does it again.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
I go in there and sit often and read and talk to him - doing it for the past year he doesn’t come down from the loft. And tonight when I walked in - he zoomed up to his hiding place. Who knows - maybe yesterday was a fluke but I hope not. I hope he does it again.
A baby step! Maybe he has to think about things some more before the next time. A trial then a break then a step again.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you’re right! He looked stressed to me since he was kind of frozen on the platform. I didn’t linger - I just left like it was no big deal. Should I keep doing that? He’s been in there one year!
Ok hard to tell body language since he’s so floofy and from a video. For sure be like it’s no big deal.
A nice one year gift!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's getting use to you. First it's a full retreat and now half way. Very soon no more running up to the loft.

Yes, I agree, stay longer and stay low and keep talking to him.
I’ve been feeding him for three years - and in the shed at least 3 times a day for one full year. He’s used to me. He’s a 5 year old feral and I don’t want to get my hopes up.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve been feeding him for three years - and in the shed at least 3 times a day for one full year. He’s used to me. He’s a 5 year old feral and I don’t want to get my hopes up.
How long can you sit in the shed and stay until he comes down to eat-gradually moving the food dish nearer & nearer to you
The most recent feral,a 7yr old rogue F1 I started with a yr ago would not eat until I was across the parking lot where I parked myself in a chair,I moved that dish inches closer over the course of a year until he was on my front stoop....in the beginning I often sat 3 to 4 hrs ( kept him at one meal a day for some time so he was hungry).....but being paid for your time is a different story altogether
I'm quite alone in my beliefs but I've always had high hopes for every feral both young & old,it's a full time job indeed-you can eventually make contact ,everyone I ever had the pleasure of working with has proved the majority wrong

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOVE this newest video and yes! it looks like he is (cautiously) coming around, slowly, to knowing he can trust you. Keep up the great work! I also have confidence, or at least very high hopes, that he will eventually allow you to touch him...and from there, it will just keep getting better and better.:redheartpump::blackcat2::redheartpump::goldstar::agree:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He started to head up to the loft (his usual) and stopped! I don’t want to get too excited but I acted like no big deal and didn’t approach him so he’d regret it. But you can see him laying there watching me! I don’t know if he was just defending his turf or what!
Wow! That was great to see. Slow blinks too. He certainly didn't look scared, or aggressive. Just kinda waiting for you to leave. LOL. But still I'd say a couple baby steps of progress. :bigeyes::redheartpump: