Feline gastrointestinal lymphoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need advice ASAP! last night was Mukkia's fourth dose of mirtazapine. Thursday was his first day of only 5 milligrams of prednisone. I don't know which one is causing this, or if they both are. however, this is really not good. He is showing serious signs of aggression. he is growling, in attack mode, and snapping. obviously, I have no one to ask since the veterinarian's office has a different office taking over for them right now. They won't tell me which one is causing this or if it is. something is not right! completely out of his character. he is a very loving and a tentative cat. I don't know if the mirtazapine is just getting in his system really well, or if it's the prednisone going down. Or a combo. Or the anti nausea medication. Cerenia 16 mg cut in half, so, 8mg every 24 hours. I will respond to all of the other posts. I'm sorry I have been with him.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I were going to guess as to what is causing this behavior I would guess it is the mirtazapine.  If it is a medication that is causing it that is.    I know there are two appetite stimulants used and if a kitty reacts badly to one then they usually do well with the other.  My vet doesn't use them so I don't know the name of the other one.  Hopefully someone will come along that knows the name of the other one.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I were going to guess as to what is causing this behavior I would guess it is the mirtazapine.  If it is a medication that is causing it that is.    I know there are two appetite stimulants used and if a kitty reacts badly to one then they usually do well with the other.  My vet doesn't use them so I don't know the name of the other one.  Hopefully someone will come along that knows the name of the other one.
I was kind of thinking it is the mirtazapine too. if this is the case I do not know how to offset it, because it stays in his system for 72 hours! I am not sure if it is a serious side effect or not. the on call veterinarian's office will not tell me without paying them a $300 deposit and a $125 fee just for seeing him. I don't know what to do.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's an anti-depressant so I don't think there is an antidote.  It affects brain chemistry and just as it takes a while to take effect it will have to work itself out of the system and allow the brain chemistry to return to normal.  Cerenia also effects brain chemistry, I am wondering if maybe this is a combination effect of the two?

I really can't give you any advice beyond my lay advice.  I haven''t read through your whole thread.  Is your kitty on a 5 day on and two days off with the cerenia.  If so is your kitty close to the two days off?

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's an anti-depressant so I don't think there is an antidote.  It affects brain chemistry and just as it takes a while to take effect it will have to work itself out of the system and allow the brain chemistry to return to normal.  Cerenia also effects brain chemistry, I am wondering if maybe this is a combination effect of the two?

I really can't give you any advice beyond my lay advice.  I haven''t read through your whole thread.  Is your kitty on a 5 day on and two days off with the cerenia.  If so is your kitty close to the two days off?
No, she has him on 8milligrams once every 24 hours.his mirtazapine is 1/4 of 15 milligram tablets every 72 hours. I gave him his mirtazapine last night at 7 as I always do. I did not know that the cerenia affects his brain chemistry as well. so, I guess the question is, is this serious, or is it just a temporary setback? As well, should he be receiving that type of dosage? I am asking, because of what you mentioned with the cerenia is way off with what he is getting prescribed to him. with this but I wouldn't doubt anything though! :-( :-( :-(

Last edited:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is the pred  https://www.vetinfo.com/prednisone-for-cats.html   extract below

Side Effects of Prednisone Use in Cats

Prednisone is a steroid and carries a number of side effects when used in cats. Short term side effects of prednisone use in cats include:
  • Prednisone may make your cat more thirsty than usual, so he could drink more water and urinate more often.
  • Prednisone may increase your cat's appetite and lead to weight gain and food cravings.
  • Prednisone can irritate your cat's stomach and cause diarrhea.
  • Because prednisone acts as an immunosuppressant, your cat becomes more vulnerable to infection while receiving prednisone. Prednisone can also cause dormant infections to become active. You and your vet should be on the look out for secondary infections while your cat receives prednisone.
  • Your cat may display changes in behavior. He may become abnormally aggressive or unreasonably fearful.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I apologize for the typos. I am just in freak out mode right now. I use my phone and you know how they are.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it is the pred  https://www.vetinfo.com/prednisone-for-cats.html   extract below

Side Effects of Prednisone Use in Cats

Prednisone is a steroid and carries a number of side effects when used in cats. Short term side effects of prednisone use in cats include:

• Prednisone may make your cat more thirsty than usual, so he could drink more water and urinate more often.
  • Prednisone may increase your cat's appetite and lead to weight gain and food cravings.
  • Prednisone can irritate your cat's stomach and cause diarrhea.
  • Because prednisone acts as an immunosuppressant, your cat becomes more vulnerable to infection while receiving prednisone. Prednisone can also cause dormant infections to become active. You and your vet should be on the look out for secondary infections while your cat receives prednisone.
  • Your cat may display changes in behavior. He may become abnormally aggressive or unreasonably fearful.
so, basically it could be any one of the three. Why would it just start now? The only change is the prednisone. he was on 5 milligrams twice a day, now as of Thursday he is on 5 milligrams once a day.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't quote you Zed. links and allow me to. Anyway, so basically it could be any one of the three? Why would it happen now being that he has already been on them for a while. The prednisone makes a little bit more sense, because he did just recently dropped down to 5 milligrams a day instead of 10 as of Thursday. would decreasing the milligram cause this reaction? Is it serious? or is it just setback for lack of better words? I fed him human liver well not like a person it was chicken for people chicken liver. Do you think it was the chicken liver? Could people who have done that? please excuse all the typos I'm really upset right now.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, if I just wait a few minutes it will eventually go through. Go figure. Lol at least I can find something funny right now.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think it is the prednisone causing this, I was  not able  to find aggression as a side effect to the other 2 medications

Last edited:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't quote you Zed. links and allow me to. Anyway, so basically it could be any one of the three? Why would it happen now being that he has already been on them for a while. The prednisone makes a little bit more sense, because he did just recently dropped down to 5 milligrams a day instead of 10 as of Thursday. would decreasing the milligram cause this reaction? Is it serious? or is it just setback for lack of better words? I fed him human liver well not like a person it was chicken for people chicken liver. Do you think it was the chicken liver? Could people who have done that? please excuse all the typos I'm really upset right now.
no the chicken liver would not cause aggression

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
okay, so, if it is the pregnazone that is causing it I don't know what to do.that is the major player of medications and his treatment right now.any suggestions?by the way I am glad that you figured out I did not feed my cat a human liver

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
okay, so, if it is the pregnazone that is causing it I don't know what to do.that is the major player of medications and his treatment right now.any suggestions?by the way I am glad that you figured out I did not feed my cat a human liver
At first, I had visions of Hannibal Lecter, but eventually figured it out. Was it cooked or raw? He might adjust to the prednisone after a while. I wouldn't take him off of it until you spoke to a vet. I am hoping he can beat this 

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At first, I had visions of Hannibal Lecter, but eventually figured it out. Was it cooked or raw? He might adjust to the prednisone after a while. I wouldn't take him off of it until you spoke to a vet. I am hoping he can beat this :vibes:  
LOL. I seriously, and honestly really needed this laugh! okay, so,you are thinking possibly his system adjusting to the lowering of the dosage, right?

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, it was cooked in a pan, no butter or non-stick. just water.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something here doesn't sound right for it to be the predisone, adding it may cause this side effect temporarily but lowering his does surely would not.

Hmmm.....

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Something here doesn't sound right for it to be the predisone, adding it may cause this side effect temporarily but lowering his does surely would not.

Hmmm.....
What do you think? He does not act like this. For me to have  sick kitty, he sure is not acting quite like it.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hmmm.....
For you to say this, I am even more concerned.

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think it sounds like prednisolone either. Being on it made my baby grumpy and lethargic, but lowering his dose brought him back to his cuddly self. 

I hope you're able to figure out what is troubling him though. He is lucky to have such a dedicated loving parent :]

Status
Not open for further replies.