Feline gastrointestinal lymphoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I have always gotten compliments on his appearance his whole life. He is uniquely beautiful in my eyes as well. I am hoping she will help me too, but I think I made her mad. I didn't mean to, I posted on another person's thread asking her questions. now I know better, so I will do better. this is just very hard for me. :-(

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think @catwoman707was mad but I don't think she understood that you have a thread going already. Hopefully she will see this and offer her advice.

I'm so sorry you are going through this, I'm in tears reading your story.

Sending hugs your way.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This has truly been the hardest situation I have gone through thus far in my life. I cry every day, several times a day. I know he is a fighter, but is he only fighting for me now, or is he going to prove the veterinarian wrong?

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, for many it is the most difficult painful thing they will ever experience. Many people don't understand how important our kitties are to us. They are an integral part of every day, their little ways make common daily events special. You are amongst cat lovers here, we feel your pain and can empathize.   

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I have always gotten compliments on his appearance his whole life. He is uniquely beautiful in my eyes as well. I am hoping she will help me too, but I think I made her mad. I didn't mean to, I posted on another person's thread asking her questions. now I know better, so I will do better. this is just very hard for me. :-(
I don't think she is mad or upset at all, I think her recommendation was to make sure advice wasn't getting mixed up with a number of discussions in one thread.  It makes it easier for everyone if there are separate threads.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I don't think she is mad or upset at all, I think her recommendation was to make sure advice wasn't getting mixed up with a number of discussions in one thread.  It makes it easier for everyone if there are separate threads.
I understand now. I was just a little confused at first as to how the process works. I do now, and I am sorry for not paying better attention.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I am certain that you have looked for info all over the net, I think one of the most important things we can do for our cats is to read up and education on what we are fighting against. Here are a few good sites that I found 

http://www.2ndchance.info/lymphomaCat.htm 

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/lymphoma.cfm

I am praying it is not cancer. 
Thank you, and yes, I have researched SOO many sites. I will check out those links. I have spoken with numerous people. The two things that continue to baffle EVERYONE is Mukkia's lack of vomiting and diarrhea. I have hope.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I replied to you, but since I quoted your link it did not go through. you are correct, I have done MANY searches! I have spoken to many people as well. I even paid an online expert. I want what's best for Mukkia, even if it means breaking my heart. I will check out those links. thank you for that. The two lack of symptoms about Mukkia that has EVERYONE baffled is the absence of vomiting and diarrhea. I have hope! I just hope he is fighting for himself to prove everyone wrong, and not hanging on for me. :-( 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm here! So sorry, I was called down to the shelter to take a look at some sick kittens that came in today.

I must say I'm confused by your vet.

For one, she said she felt a mass, then she did the x-ray and said likely lymphoma? With no treatment??!

Lymphoma responds very well to leukeran.

For her to give you such a poor prognosis is strange to me.

Kitty is showing his discomfort for sure, but I have to say if it were me, I would consult with another vet immediately on this.

You can take the x-ray too to another vet.

Small cell lymphomas respond very well to treatment, did she say anything about large cell?

When my cat Krissy, who has IBD, had an ultrasound, it was found that she has pancreatitis, thickened intestinal wall, enlarged lymph nodes, yet she did not suspect lymphoma in her.

There must be something the vet is seeing, I wish I knew how to read x-rays better but I don't.

Did she say there is a mass in the x-ray? Even so, she doesn't know whether it is small cell or large, there is a big difference between the 2.

Last edited:

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is a excerpt from an email correspondence with Mukkia's vet.

The reason lymphoma is suspected is basically because Mukkia is an older cat and he is losing weight and because of the radiographic abnormalities.
Time left depends on diagnosis and response to treatment. Once diagnosis made further treatment options can be explored. Including chemotherapy - diet etc...
When you know it's time to say goodbye - very hard decision to make. Some people rely on the animals ability to eat, drink and use the bathroom normally but I think you need to look more deeply at quality of life. Basically what I recommend is if the animal can no longer do the things he loves it is time to consider euthanasia. Some signs that may clue you in is decreased appetite, severe weight loss, vomiting and diarrhea, labored breathing, vocalization, pain etc...

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm here! So sorry, I was called down to the shelter to take a look at some sick kittens that came in today.

I must say I'm confused by your vet.
For one, she said she felt a mass, then she did the x-ray and said likely lymphoma? With no treatment??!
Lymphoma responds very well to leukeran.
For her to give you such a poor prognosis is strange to me.

Kitty is showing his discomfort for sure, but I have to say if it were me, I would consult with another vet immediately on this.
You can take the x-ray too to another vet.

Small cell lymphomas respond very well to treatment, did she say anything about large cell?

When my cat Krissy, who has IBD, had an ultrasound, it was found that she has pancreatitis, thickened intestinal wall, enlarged lymph nodes, yet she did not suspect lymphoma in her.

There must be something the vet is seeing, I wish I knew how to read x-rays better but I don't.

Did she say there is a mass in the x-ray? Even so, she doesn't know whether it is small cell or large, there is a big difference between the 2.
No, she did not say that she could see the mass on the X-ray. She felt it, I believe that it was either the lymph nodes, or the intestines. I did consult with a few other vets, only by phone, but they did not discount her diagnosis. He had an ultrasound on Wednesday, and still lymphoma is the likely culprit. No one is recommending a biopsy at this stage in his health. Basically, I am left to give palliative care, and not a cure. :-( I would have to travel too far to get anyone else to (possibly) help me. Mukkia cannot go through the travel stress.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, she did not say that she could see the mass on the X-ray. She felt it, I believe that it was either the lymph nodes, or the intestines. I did consult with a few other vets, only by phone, but they did not discount her diagnosis. He had an ultrasound on Wednesday, and still lymphoma is the likely culprit. No one is recommending a biopsy at this stage in his health. Basically, I am left to give palliative care, and not a cure. :-( I would have to travel too far to get anyone else to (possibly) help me. Mukkia cannot go through the travel stress.
So what exactly does she see in the x-ray?

But did not see in the ultrasound, which is much more sensitive?

Based on age and weight loss? I beg to differ. 

Enlarged lymph nodes or thickened intestines are common for IBD, not necessarily lymphoma though, is she willing to start him on leukeran?

So assuming it is lymphoma, I simply do not understand the lack of a plan for treatment.

In her email she does mention treatment including chemo and diet.

Last edited:

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So what exactly does she see in the x-ray?
But did not see in the ultrasound, which is much more sensitive?

Based on age and weight loss? I beg to differ. 

Enlarged lymph nodes or thickened intestines are common for IBD, not necessarily lymphoma though, is she willing to start him on leukeran?
She wrote that to me too. I just went into my email and copied and paste in this. The ultrasound is more sensitive, so I was told. She did not see anything different on either. She showed me the pattern and then had her partner look at it too. No, she will not prescribe any chemotherapy treatment for him. initially I was told not that long with him, then I asked again and was told she has had felines on prednisone for a year with lymphoma, but I cannot find anything to support her claim to that statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.