Feline gastrointestinal lymphoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I don't think it sounds like prednisolone either. Being on it made my baby grumpy and lethargic, but lowering his dose brought him back to his cuddly self. 

I hope you're able to figure out what is troubling him though. He is lucky to have such a dedicated loving parent :]
Which makes much more sense.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with personally having used cerenia or mirtz, you have to be able to consult the vet about this, it's obviously an edverse side effect, possibly the 2 are counter acting each other, I don't know for sure, but anytime a cat is under a vets care they need to be reachable.

Not that I'm all that confident in her either!

@Red Top Rescue  any ideas here?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Which makes much more sense.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with personally having used cerenia or mirtz, you have to be able to consult the vet about this, it's obviously an edverse side effect, possibly the 2 are counter acting each other, I don't know for sure, but anytime a cat is under a vets care they need to be reachable.

Not that I'm all that confident in her either!

@Red Top Rescue  any ideas here?
 ​I am not going to give him Cerenia again. I don't know why it was prescribed to him to begin with. he is not, and has not been vomiting. She made me think he may have a reflex to go with it. but I say no, 

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was able to get this pic of him laying on my mom. View media item 331912
Sorry, it is blurry, I was shaky.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He does not feel well. :-(

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww! Poor punkin...:(

Is the mirtz helping him eat though? I would stop anything that is not helping him, except the pred.

No point in the added work on his organs to process them, plus with his recent aggression.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The more I read about it's possible side effects in cats I do think the mirtazapine that is causing this.  https://www.petflow.com/product/generic/mirtazapine-tablets-for-cats-and-dogs   Possible side effects listed are excitement disorientation and hyperactivity.  The only thing i have found is to report side effects if they persist.  It seems like sometimes kitties will acclimate to the drug.  

I know this side effect is sometimes listed for steroids but I have never heard of them actually occurring.  The main side effect with a steroid is high blood sugar.  You are right if there was going to be some type of abnormal reaction to the steroid it would occur at the higher dose.

This is the other appetite stimulant http://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/cyproheptadine   It's actually an antihistamine.  The appetite stimulant effect is actually a side effect.  

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I missed the part where you said you reduced the prednisone dosage, it is unusual that he would act more aggressively with a lower dosage. It could be a combination of things like medication, not feeling well, and picking up on the stress in his owners. How is his eating now?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used and are using these drugs for my guy.

The Mirtazapine makes him so hyper, that I cannot stand him. Yes, it does increase his appetite, but he is hyperactive, walking around, meowing --doing both constantly. I will never give it to him again.

The Cerenia was prescribed because of nausea and vomiting. It acted as a wonder drug. It can only be used for 5 days in a row and then you take 2 days of; in order to stay away from the neurological effects of it. Some Vets prescribe a low dose for 7 days straight. Mine did not.

The Steroid--I hope it is the one with the l in it: prednasolone or something like that. That is the one which is given to cats.

This steroid is not supposed to have the side effects in cats as it does in humans. Cats are very different in how steroids effect them. Mostly it would be an elevated blood glucose level, diabetes.

My guy takes this steroid everyday for almost a year, with no side effects. 

My guess is that he is feeling horrible, is tired of being poked and prodded, wants to be left alone; In other words cranky to all.

If it is from side effects, I am very strongly feeling it is the Mirtazpine. But what do I know. I am not a Vet. I am just going by my guys experiences....and what I have read...

((hugs))

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww! Poor punkin...:(

Is the mirtz helping him eat though? I would stop anything that is not helping him, except the pred.
No point in the added work on his organs to process them, plus with his recent aggression.
yes, the mirtazapine is helping him to eat. Unfortunately, the prednisone did not. I give it to him every 72 hours in during the first 24 is one really seems to help. after that, he doesn't have any interest in food if at all. last night was his fourth dose of mirtazapine.

Last edited:

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I missed the part where you said you reduced the prednisone dosage, it is unusual that he would act more aggressively with a lower dosage. It could be a combination of things like medication, not feeling well, and picking up on the stress in his owners. How is his eating now?
he is fine now. I agree with you about the emotions from people rubbing off on him. So, I seriously try to keep it together for him. Especially on the days when he just seems like he is giving up on me. he always eats on the first day of the mirtazapine day. It's not a tremendous amount but it's almost normal for him.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The more I read about it's possible side effects in cats I do think the mirtazapine that is causing this.  https://www.petflow.com/product/generic/mirtazapine-tablets-for-cats-and-dogs  Possible side effects listed are excitement disorientation and hyperactivity.  The only thing i have found is to report side effects if they persist.  It seems like sometimes kitties will acclimate to the drug.  

I know this side effect is sometimes listed for steroids but I have never heard of them actually occurring.  The main side effect with a steroid is high blood sugar.  You are right if there was going to be some type of abnormal reaction to the steroid it would occur at the higher dose.

This is the other appetite stimulant http://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/cyproheptadine  It's actually an antihistamine.  The appetite stimulant effect is actually a side effect.  
I am most definitely going to see about at least getting a prescription for the antihistamine on Monday. That doesn't mean that I have to take him back to the veterinarian. I just have to give him something aside from the prednisone, because without it he will not eat. And that will cause me more problems. Well, technically caused him more problems with his liver. I do not want that.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think it sounds like prednisolone either. Being on it made my baby grumpy and lethargic, but lowering his dose brought him back to his cuddly self. 

I hope you're able to figure out what is troubling him though. He is lucky to have such a dedicated loving parent :]
thank you, that is very kind of you to say. He is my heart! :-)

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have used and are using these drugs for my guy.

The Mirtazapine makes him so hyper, that I cannot stand him. Yes, it does increase his appetite, but he is hyperactive, walking around, meowing --doing both constantly. I will never give it to him again.

The Cerenia was prescribed because of nausea and vomiting. It acted as a wonder drug. It can only be used for 5 days in a row and then you take 2 days of; in order to stay away from the neurological effects of it. Some Vets prescribe a low dose for 7 days straight. Mine did not.

The Steroid--I hope it is the one with the l in it: prednasolone or something like that. That is the one which is given to cats.
This steroid is not supposed to have the side effects in cats as it does in humans. Cats are very different in how steroids effect them. Mostly it would be an elevated blood glucose level, diabetes.
My guy takes this steroid everyday for almost a year, with no side effects. 

My guess is that he is feeling horrible, is tired of being poked and prodded, wants to be left alone; In other words cranky to all.
If it is from side effects, I am very strongly feeling it is the Mirtazpine. But what do I know. I am not a Vet. I am just going by my guys experiences....and what I have read...

((hugs))
[/quote
No, this is not being cranky. He has been cranky for the past week. Today was straight aggression. completely out of character for him. he has not been poked or prodded in awhile. I'm trying to put him through is less stress as possible.I do think the mirtazapine is the culprit here. I think this, because since the first day I started him on it he was crying all night, and pacing. I thought that it was because the food was hitting his bowels and causing extreme discomfort / pain. I later found out from an earlier poster that it is most likely his heart elevated that was causing him to be very vocal.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think we can all agree it is very likely the mirtz causing his moods.

It also seems to me that an appetite stimulant should work every day for it to be considered helpful and working, so maybe you can ask about an alternative.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think we can all agree it is very likely the mirtz causing his moods.
It also seems to me that an appetite stimulant should work every day for it to be considered helpful and working, so maybe you can ask about an alternative.
I agree, it should be something that will increase his appetite every day.tomorrow I'm going to ask about the antihistamine that Denise mentioned. It seems to be safer for him anyway.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

These were the large 2- 3 tsp syringes. I had two filled & ready to go. You have to put it in the far side of their mouth, not in the center where it could go straight down the throat & they could choke, & you have to give him a min. to swallow after each, only giving a small amount at a time, so he can. There are a lot of videos, showing how to do this on You Tube as well. 

Last edited:

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I completely agree!   The Mirtazapine increases the heart rate, making them feel that way.  I stopped giving it to Angel too.   Yes, the Prednisolone, that's what Angel was on, not predisone.  It did make him hungry at first for a few weeks, but then that nice side effect wore off.   

Any luck getting him to eat some baby food?  Or blend down some pure food w/ some baby food & water to use in a syringe.   He HAS to eat.  Syringe feeding is no fun for both parties, especially if he fights you on it. I had to do that two days before Angel finally had to get an esophagus feeding tube on what turned out to be his last week. I had to wrap him in a towel to do it & just sat on the kitchen floor, leaning up against the cupboards, because I knew it would be messy! 
Here are some photo's. I hated doing that to him & adding to his & my stress, but he HAD to eat. 

These were the large 2- 3 tsp syringes. I had two filled & ready to go. You have to put it in the far side of their mouth, not in the center where it could go straight down the throat & they could choke, & you have to give him a min. to swallow after each, only giving a small amount at a time, so he can. There are a lot of videos, showing how to do this on You Tube as well. 
. Awe , the burrito wrap. poor thing! :-( it is so heartwrenching the things that we try to do to make them all feel better.
Mukkia is currently on prednisone. He is supposed to transition to prednisolone next week. From there to a different medicine that is supposed to do the same thing but is not a steroid and is supposed to be more gentle on his system. I do not know what the name of it is. I put the liver in a blender this morning and mixed in some Turkey and cheddar Fancy Feast. He mainly drank the liquid from it. I sencerly want to thank everyone for the advice and support Mukkia and I have received here. ( More than what I received from my veterinarian.) I especially want to thank @nicosasha. She is the one who recommended this site to me from a different site. I have a few questions and theories I would like to ask, and pose to anyone here with input. Please, bear with me as it will take me a few minutes or so to type up these questions, and theories.

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are certainly welcome. That's what's so great about this site. Truly caring people who are there for you when you need it, & lots of people who have had experience w/ a lot of things.

I speak from experience, we have some truly wonderful people here!! 

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I have been thinking, and researching and I hope I am on to something here. So, we all know that my veterinarian diagnosed Mukkia as having gastrointestinal lymphoma on the basis of the radiographic findings, his weight loss, and his age. No biopsy of any sort performed. Now, with that being said, dilemma / question number 1. Now that Mukkia has been on prednisone for a while, is biopsy even an option now? Meaning, will the prednisone alter any kind of sample taken at this point? If so, how can I get a definitive diagnosis of cancer without biopsy? Or, how can I get cancer ruled out now? As negligent as she was by putting him on prednisone before a biopsy of some sort , I fear (if) she is correct , and he has cancer I am not going to find a veterinarian who will prescribe chemotherapy for him without a definitive diagnosis. Issue #2, I have researched prednisone, and I am concerned about him developing a stomach ulcer from this medication. She prescribed him an anti vomiting/ anti nausea medication, even though he never ANY indication of needing this medication. However, just in MY research I believe that she should have prescribed him an antacid, yes? Okay, now for my theory. @nicosasha is currently going through serious adverse effects from Convenia. Mukkia was given the same injection in September 8, 2015. He had a different set of serious reaction, and I report it does to the company and the FDA? I believe. I received a case number like US2015??? They basically dismissed my claims. Anyway, I do have it on the his file that he is never to receive any injection at all! Point blank, end of story. He was given that injection, because of low white blood cell count on his panel. It was barely out of the normal range. He did not have a fever, and he was fine. He was only at the vet for his biannual senior checkup. His side effects were muscle tremors severe enough to be compared to Parkinson's disease by the veterinarian. He was literally on the verge of seizures. That was very difficult for us both, but we came through it. The medication stays active in the feline for up to 14 days. However, it remains inactive for a total of 60 something days. OK, so, remember Mukkia was the picture of health until this injection. I left that vet and then that is how I ended up with this one. My sister thinks highly of her, even though, my sister is the one who had to diagnose her dog as having hookworms. This vet said that it is "unheard of for an older dog to have them." with my sister's persistence, she finally tested the dog for hookworms. Guess what, she had them! Supposedly, it was the "worst case she had ever seen!" Now back to Mukkia. This injection is very potent. I took Mukkia to the vet after the shot, because he was shaking his head a lot, and pawing at his ears. He had a yeast infection. I am positive that it was due to the shot. Theory #2, Is it probable, or likely that Convenia stripped his entire digestive system of all of his good bacteria, resulting in poor digestion? Poor digestion = inflammation= IBD!!!???? God I pray I am correct in this theory. The timeline adds up, and he was HEALTHY until the injection. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.