Eye Infection In A Feral / Socialization Progress

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That doesn't look to bad to me at all. Still a bit pink in the corner and around the rim, but nothing awful at all. I have a cat who had a very bad infection as a kitten. He is now 9 and still has a very runny/ red eyes. It gets worse seasonally when there is a change in the weather. It also flares up when he is stressed. I used to use lysine daily, but switched a few years ago to VetriScience Vetri DMG. It's a liquid that goes right into wet food. Very easy to give and has worked well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It looks much better! I still see a little red rim around the bottom. I would treat it for 2-3 more days to be on the safe side.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks much better! I still see a little red rim around the bottom. I would treat it for 2-3 more days to be on the safe side.
I'll keep going for a few more days. I want to keep her stress level to a minimum. I am trying to get her to like being touched. I am putting a sock on a wand and petting her with that. I don't think she likes it much but she doesn't attack the wand or really hiss. She still spends most of her day behind the toilet. I can lure her out a little with tuna but she goes right back under the toilet when she's done

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, I hope she becomes less afraid soon. Is she still coming out at night?

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww, I hope she becomes less afraid soon. Is she still coming out at night?
Yes! Like clockwork. I have seen her on the couch, the kitchen chairs, under the windows and chilling on the kitchen floor. One night she sat and watched me while I was on the computer and played with a toy that I brought out. She doesn't seem afraid of us wandering around but she doesn't want us too near. She has been "nose to nose" with my cats with no real issues but she isn't learning from them.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll keep going for a few more days. I want to keep her stress level to a minimum. I am trying to get her to like being touched. I am putting a sock on a wand and petting her with that. I don't think she likes it much but she doesn't attack the wand or really hiss. She still spends most of her day behind the toilet. I can lure her out a little with tuna but she goes right back under the toilet when she's done
When trying to touch her with the sock on the end of a wand, I have had the most success when I use it as a toy. I get the cat very interested in the wand moving back and forth. I even hide it under a towel. I also only touch when the cats back is to me. If they see it approaching it is very threatening. Yet if you go from behind with very light touches, it works much better. It also takes time and daily work. The cat may not like it or be afraid at first, but keep using it. I also have coated the end with some catnip.

Do you try to play with her? The feral cats that I have brought inside, have no idea how to play and many toys either frighten them or they have no interest. I have found that a simple long shoe lace placed under a towel and then slowly pulled at varying speeds is often a winner. Even if she just follows it with her eyes, that is something. Don't give up the first time if she shows no interest. It may take days and days of trial and error to find something she likes.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you try to play with her?
Actually, when she was outdoors I would bring some toys to play with her and her brothers. They took to it pretty quickly. When I brought her inside, she wasn't interested but she is coming around! She is fascinated by the laser pointer although she doesn't chase. Toys that you can make jump around are what really grab her attention. She is actually hilarious to watch. She does literal "double takes" like a cartoon character. It's adorable.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to use lysine daily, but switched a few years ago to VetriScience Vetri DMG. It's a liquid that goes right into wet food. Very easy to give and has worked well.
I'll take a look around for it here in Canada! Thanks!

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
bought some Vetri-Science vitamins this morning from Amazon.ca!

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When trying to touch her with the sock on the end of a wand
I think I saw a picture of what you are talking about in another post! You tape it so it's kind of like a ball at the end of the wand? And put some flannel overtop?

I was picturing that ALL wrong!! I will modify the wand. Also - she doesn't like things sneaking up on her. She hissed when I did that.

I have been leaving the door to the bathroom open lately. The cats don't fight and she just stays in her little place. I am a tad concerned though because I am not sure if she is eating or using the litter box while the door is open. It's hard to tell because my cats do go in and eat her food/use her box. Should I keep them separated and close the door? Or let their smells mix more? She seems to like my older cat. She talks to him a little even if she is afraid (he will give her a hiss). My youngest goes and sniffs her and they will eat treats together while she is under the bowl. I know you need to challenge their "comfort zone" a little but I don't know when too much is too much!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is the picture I have. I usually get the cat interested in playing with it. I put a bit of cat nip on the end. Next when the cat is engaged and turns his backside to me, I gently touch the cats back. I then remove. I keep doing this for a few days until they are used to the sensation. I then start to move the wand on the back a bit. It's very gradual.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks good shadowrescue!

Now, I have just caught her scratching the couch. I said no...she stopped. I brought out a scratching post and got my cat to show her how to use it (he is so cute - if you scratch it, he will scratch it too). I put it next to where she was scratching. She ran off to the bathroom but she is back out again...in the hallway.

any other suggestions for teaching her about scratching posts? There was already a scratching bed out here and now there is a post. Any other suggestions for keeping her from tearing up the couches??

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She may have to try different types of scratching posts and different materials. Some cats like to scratch vertically like they do on couches so you would need a scratching post not just a mat. Some cats like horizontal scratching and prefer mats or carpet. It's also about texture. There is sisal rope that is often found on vertical posts and also carpet covered with various pile depths.
Only one of my cats is a vertical scratcher. The others like horizontal scratcher mats. Yet it took me a long time to find something for one of my other cats.

Sprinkling catnip on the mats or posts is a good way to lure them to something appropriate to scratch.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So...I have been letting my cats get to know Cersei a little more. I don't put them in the bedroom when she ventures out in the evening and we also leave the bathroom door open during the day. So far there is just a little hissing an swatting. Nothing major. My youngest cat always goes running to her when he sees her. This freaks her out and she runs back into the bathroom. My youngest looks bewildered and a little hurt lol. He is likely hoping for a playmate.

They are "getting along" as in not killing each other. There is no aggression at all, just the odd growl and hiss to warn the other off a little.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like all is going so well. In time she will get used to the other cats. For now she is the new one and is leery of their territory.

I like to sit and offer yummy treats to all of my cats when I am introducing a new one. I usually do it between a gate, but if yours are doing well close to one another that would work too. My cats love plain cooked chicken or bits of canned tuna or salmon. It helps the cats to learn to enjoy one another through something they all love.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all!!

Just wanted to update you on Cersei's progress! I didn't do the sock trick with the wand but I did tape a toothbrush and I use that to pet her. She loves it! She is at the point where she will roll on her back and expose her belly (from the safety of the side of the toilet)! Last night I am fairly certain I hear her purr!!!

Today I tried a brush with varying degrees of success. I managed to get about 15-15 strikes in before she gave a little hiss and a half hearted bite at the brush. It was more of a "cut it out" message than anything else. So I did!

She is shedding A LOT!! There are puffs of fur coming off her but she has no bald spots or anything. The brush was packed after I finished and I can always tell where she has been in the condo by the balls of hair that she leaves behind. Does anyone think this is a health concern? I would like to avoid a vet trip for as much as I can to prevent any setbacks in her socialization.

My boyfriend and I have a 2 week trip in August. We pay a cat sitter to come in once or twice a day so I want to make sure she is as socialized and healthy as possible before this date!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fantastic news!!! How innovative to try the toothbrush.

When I have brought cats inside, they shed like crazy. It usually took me weeks to get all of the fur off.

She will be so much further along in August. Glad you have a cat sitter. She may not warm up to the sitter, but at least she will be well taken care of!

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fantastic news!!! How innovative to try the toothbrush.

When I have brought cats inside, they shed like crazy. It usually took me weeks to get all of the fur off.

She will be so much further along in August. Glad you have a cat sitter. She may not warm up to the sitter, but at least she will be well taken care of!
Oh! And she likes catnip! I spray some on a toy and dangle it and she goes nuts for it now. She snuggles the toy and rubs it all over her face. She does everything from beside the toilet. At night when she comes out, she just wants to explore (and she is starting to come out in the morning too!). She doesn't mind if we are up and about and we can walk right past her with no problems but if we try to "engage" with her she runs back to the bathroom. I will have to start training her to be more social while she is out. I can't even brush her with the toothbrush when she is in the kitchen. I don't want to be rewarding her for hiding all day (with treats and brushing).