Eye Infection In A Feral / Socialization Progress

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick update! I can now brush her with a regular brush when she is beside her toilet! She stretches out, rolls to show her belly and kneads the air with her paws. The other day I am sure I heard a purring sound from her but haven't heard it since...! She doesn't know it but I have been petting her too. In order to be brushed, she has to let my hand be very close to her. Every now and again I will use my hand to stroke her rather than the brush. She doesn't seem to notice lol.

She also comes out of the bathroom more often. She is still out in the kitchen when we get up in the morning and she will stick around for a bit before going back. She also pokes her head out more often during the day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow - this is awesome progress. She is surely trusting you more! :)

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

It's been a while since I last posted, mostly because there are no large changes. We have had Cersei for almost 2 months. Socialization is still very, very slow.

Her home base is still in the bathroom but she comes out a lot more often. It used to be only at night but now she pops her head out during the day and in the evening. She has even hung around under our bed. She has full access to all of the apartment and our other 2 cats. They don't fight, hiss or growl but there is an occasional "slap match" if someone is in a bad mood.

She still enjoys being brushed but I still can't touch her. Tonight I tried to touch her while she was enjoying the brush and I got a hesitant hiss. I gave it another little attempt and she doubled down with a stronger hiss so I dropped it.

I am a little discouraged. :-(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It honestly sounds like progress though to me. She's coming out more and still enjoying being brushed.

Slow but steady wins the race. It's really her time frame. I know you want more. Hang in there!

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It honestly sounds like progress though to me. She's coming out more and still enjoying being brushed.

Slow but steady wins the race. It's really her time frame. I know you want more. Hang in there!
Thanks! She is so cute but my ultimate goal is to find a home for her. She is the last of a colony that was disturbed with construction. The other cats were homed or too feral so they relocated. I have not been able to TNR much since getting her and I just found a new area that is swarming with stray and feral cats. We rescued and homed a pregnant mama but I have since found another one and 3 feral kittens with respiratory infections (4 months old). I can't take any other cats until Cersei is homed. I am so worried she will never socialize properly. She is always welcome here but I would not be able to foster other cats.

Around here, July 1st is a big moving day and many people leave their animals behind. Rescues are all swamped with cats and the alleys have many more cats. Add to that kitten season....

Sorry - just worried about all the kitties out there.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With feral kitties, progress can be very very slow. It took me 7 months to pet my first feral kitty. I had to realize that I was putting pressure on this cat to socialize and that was making things worse. Once, I dialed down my expectations and just took it a day at a time, it was much easier. I dropped the big goal of petting him and just spent lots and lots of time with him.
Playing is a huge deal too, if she likes to play. Play therapy can build confidence in a cat. Jackson Galaxy suggests a ritual of hunt, catch, kill, eat, groom sleep. You play with the cat and do as much as possible. The goal is to simulate hunting. You then allow the cat to hunt, catch and kill the toy. After a session, you then offer a small meal or extra special treat. It should be something extra special like plain cooked chicken, a bit of canned tuna or salmon or extra special wet food. Next if you tired the cat out and she had a bit to eat, she should groom herself and take a nap. This can be done over and over throughout the day.

Also as far as trying to touch, I usually find it easiest to try when the cats back is to me. While you are brushing or using a pet petter, slowly bring the brush or pet petter towards your body and at the same time, move your hand towards to the body. It's the old switch a roo! It works best if the cats back is to you so they can't see your hand.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she has worms...a while ago I noticed very small, sesame seed like things behind the toilet where Cersei spends much of her time. I wasn't sure what to make of it so I cleaned them up. It's been a little while and tonight I found some more so I googled them. I found a thread right here on The Cat Site with a picture, saying that it's worms.

I never noticed anything in her feces but I didn't do a big examination either. Most of her time was spent behind the toilet so I really could never see her bum. She is out more often but I can't really get close to her for a look. I haven't found the little seed-like things anywhere else in the apartment.

How likely is it that my cats would catch them, seeing as there is almost no contact between them? They have shared a litter box though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Those are dried tapeworm segments. This means she has fleas.

She needs treating with a tube of Advantage II, along with a tapeworm tablet such as Drontal.

Cats don't catch tapeworms. They come from ingesting fleas. If your cats have fleas they will have tapeworms.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen any fleas around the house at all. Is it possible she had fleas while outside, got the tapeworm and then the fleas died when she had a Revolution treatment at the SPCA? It is part of the TNR program

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is entirely possible that her fleas are gone but the worms live on inside her body.

Just treat the tapeworms. Your vet can give you Drontal. It's 2 doses - one now and the other in 2 weeks.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is entirely possible that her fleas are gone but the worms live on inside her body.

Just treat the tapeworms. Your vet can give you Drontal. It's 2 doses - one now and the other in 2 weeks.
Large sigh of relief and thanks so much for answering so fast!!! I was worried I had somehow missed a flea infestation for almost 3 months. Is that even possible?!!?

Looks like I will be luring poor Cersei back to the vet. Her majesty will not be pleased lol!!

She has discovered some more comforts of being indoors - besides the food and treats. Here she is enjoying an actual soft place to sleep - away from the toilet :-) Cercei_Blanket.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
B be81174

She should not have to go to the vet for Drontal.

Just call and tell them she has tapeworms and ask if you can pick up Drontal for her. It should not require a visit if she is already a patient and does not need anything else right now. :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yet, if you cannot pill her a vet visit might be in order. Drontal is nasty nasty nasty. I have a very hard time disguising it for my ferals. I have been able to place 1/2 tablet in a chicken flavored capsule and then into a pill pocket. Yet most of the times, the cats get one taste and off they run. So to be sure that the worms are gone and you need helping pilling her a vet visit might be in order.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I coat my worm tablets in butter and pop them in the back of the throat, then rub underneath the neck to help the cat swallow.

If you need vet help with her, by all means take her in! :)

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet initially asked me to bring her in but I had a hard time getting her in the carrier so they said to just pick up the medication. She wasn't hissing but she was traumatized by my going after her and now she is hiding in a drawer and won't come out. Have I ruined everything? She's not even going in the bathroom, her safe place!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She should forget about it and calm down in a couple of days.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She will calm down. Just give her some time. I hope that you can get the medication into her. What did the vet give you?

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He gave me something called Milbemax. There are 2 pills and she is to take 1/2 pill every 2 weeks for 2 months. They are very small pills to begin with so 1/2 a pill isn't very big at all

I didn't try to give her one yesterday as she was so suspicious of everything. I have been fairly successful with giving her pills in the past. I can grind up pills and stick them in her food and she gobbles it right up. I have also hid them in tuna, with butter, as Sarthur2 has said and she would eat them - although at some point she started eating around the pill and then leaving it. That's why I switched to the food.

She is better today! Comes out at the shake of the treat jar and is a little less suspicious!

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay - she gobbled up her first pill that was hiding in her evening snack (canned food with water). The pill broke up into 2 pieces when I cut it in half and the larger piece was left behind so I added some tuna to keep her eating. It all got eaten!

Also, this morning when I was giving out treats she rubbed against my legs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just once...and then almost a second time!!!!! YAY YAY YAY!!