Eye Infection In A Feral / Socialization Progress

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are making even more progress!!! Sometimes you don't even notice it too. The other day I realized that almost every time I go in the kitchen, she comes out of the bathroom to beg for a treat. She rubs against the wall, gets all happy and excited. She comes close to my legs (rubbed up against them once), she dances...it's really very cute and really hard not to reward her every time (she would be so fat if I gave her a treat every time she asked lol). All I have to do is make a noise in the kitchen and there she is!!! Being cute!

After I noticed this I also noticed that she is not as nervous when we walk past her. Usually she would scurry away or move so we can't get too close. Now she - for the most part - stays where she is while we walk past. When she is on her "blankie" we can walk right past her and she doesn't budge at all.

:-)

Yay!

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aaaannnnnddd...we hit a snag with the deworming pill! She refused to take her second dose...I went through 3 doses and several different techniques. She managed to take the better portion of the third dose so at least there is that! I will have to go get another supply for her next doses

The first dose was wasted when I tried to give it to her that way I did the first - in her evening bowl of canned food. She didn't even take a bite. I thought it was because she wasn't hungry but no - it was definitely the pill.

The second dose I dipped in margarine and hid inside some tuna. Nope. I pulled it out of the tuna and tried to hide it in the canned food. Nope. Added tuna juice. Nope. More food? Nope.

The last pill I tried was broken in half from cutting (each dose is actually a 1/2 pill). The vet suggested a delicious food for "urgent care" and another for "recovery" (Science Diet type foods). She managed to eat part of the dose in the "urgent care" canned food! So yay. Then she got wise and wouldn't eat anymore so I put the rest of the dose in the "recovery" formula.

Nope.

Stuffed in some cheese?

Nope.

Finally I put the wet, dissolving pill into some Friskies with gravy and she finished it up.

Two more doses left. I don't know how I'm going to sneak it next time!!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the deworming medicines are just awful tasting. I have had better luck when I place the tablet in a gelatin capsule. I actually order chicken flavored gelatin capsules that work even better. Yet, when they get wet from wet food/tuna/butter, they start to break down and the nasty taste will still come through. It works best when you can pill them and with this kitty you cannot pill her. Is there any way, a vet tech could come to the house and pill her for you?

I did have luck with using a gelatin capsule inserted into a pill pocket and then wrapped in a bit of fresh cooked chicken in a very small amount of wet food.

At this point, I wouldn't worry about it. Next time ask for a dewormer that requires only one dose and ask the vet to give it to her. I have two former ferals that live in my house. One I still cannot pill. Cream cheese works sometimes, but I always make sure when he gets his yearly dewormer that the vet does it. It's worth the extra bit of cost.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
there are only 2 pills left and I am heading out of town for 2 weeks - my cat sitter is going to have to give it a try. Worst case it will wait until I get home and then I will have a vet tech come to the house to help me out. We will have to be creative with her...

Did I mention that she doesn't like the pill pockets? I tried to give empty ones to her and they got poo-pooed as well.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about cream cheese or fresh cooked chicken that is really soft and able to be molded around the pill? I have heard cheese whiz too.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will tell the sitter to try those things!! She likes all kinds of foods so I think cream cheese is a good idea!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

feralgrey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Feral cat ... Eye drops impossible. Vet nope not willing to pay for a cat thats not mine. Rescue reluctantly told me ... Half a 250mg Azithromycin ( zpack)pill crushed divided into 5 best you can . give 1/5 of powder a day in wet food over 5 days for a small cat( abt 7lb cat). It did clear the infection. But it came back a few wks later so i redid it. Eye infection totally gone its been months now. I was told it don't work for all types of infections but it worked for this cat with no side effects. I am not a vet , try at your own risk.
My little feral has an eye infection but there is no way I can safely touch her yet, let alone put drops in her eyes. I read that sometimes an oral antibiotic can help but the vet said eye drops are the best.

I get that they're the best but they are hard to administer in most cats and impossible to administer on a cat that you can't even touch without a swat!

Does anyone have any advice or experience with such a thing?

feralgrey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feral cat ... Eye drops impossible. Vet nope not willing to pay for a cat thats not mine. Rescue reluctantly told me ... Half a 250mg Azithromycin ( zpack)pill crushed divided into 5 best you can . give 1/5 of powder a day in wet food over 5 days for a small cat( abt 7lb cat). It did clear the infection. But it came back a few wks later so i redid it. Eye infection totally gone its been months now. I was told it don't work for all types of infections but it worked for this cat with no side effects. I am not a vet , try at your own risk.

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my feral is not touchable but has an eye infection. I took her to the vet today and confirmed it and let me tell you - she was impossible to touch. She got out of the towel burrito they made and hid. It took 10 minutes and a lot of hissing, spitting and biting before we could get her in the carrier again.

There is no way I can drop her eyes.

The vet prescribed an anti depressant that should help. I am to crush 1/2 a pill into her canned food for 3 days and then try to put the drops in.

She. Won't. Eat. The. Food.

I am crying. What else can I do? She won't take the pill. I crushed it and put it in her food. I tried putting it in tuna (she loves tuna). SHE WON'T EAT IT!

I just don't know what to do anymore.
that sucks you can't touch her at all because I find a dropper with a crushed pill mixed into water and just squirt into the back of kitties mouth works like a charm. the thing is the medicine is giving the food a bitter taste and she wont touch it. what are the chances you can budle yourself up, burrito the cat and dropper the meds and let her go?

feralgrey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try puting in milk. I had that issue with another feral. It was dewormer medication.