Corona Virus Now Spreading

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read this off of one of the sites I look to for updates. I thought this was pretty interesting. Kinda obvious that air pollution contributes to lung issues but non the less, the statistics are quite dramatic.

"Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) pollution [learn more] "may be one of the most important contributors to fatality caused by the COVID-19" a recent study [source] found after analyzing death cases from 66 administrative regions in Italy, Spain, France, and Germany. "Results show that out of the 4443 fatality cases, 3487 (78%) were in five regions located in north Italy and central Spain. Additionally, the same five regions show the highest NO2 concentrations combined with downwards airflow which prevent an efficient dispersion of air pollution. These results indicate that the long-term exposure to this pollutant may be one of the most important contributors to fatality caused by the COVID-19 virus in these regions and maybe across the whole world." [source]

• 83% of all fatalities (3701 cases) occurred in regions where the maximum NO2 concentration was above 100 μmol/m2
  • 15.5% (691 cases) occurred in regions where the maximum NO2 concentration was between 50 and 100 μmol/m2
  • 1.5% of all fatalities (51 cases) occurred in regions where the maximum NO2 concentration was below 50 μmol/m2
It shall be noted that there are other potentially decisive factors, such as a higher population density or a higher rate of international travel, that are also typical characteristics of urban areas, in addition to higher levels of pollution."
78% of air is NO2. I don't see how a small increase can have an impact on corona virus fatalities.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read this off of one of the sites I look to for updates. I thought this was pretty interesting. Kinda obvious that air pollution contributes to lung issues but non the less, the statistics are quite dramatic.

"Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) pollution [learn more] "may be one of the most important contributors to fatality caused by the COVID-19" a recent study [source] found after analyzing death cases from 66 administrative regions in Italy, Spain, France, and Germany. "Results show that out of the 4443 fatality cases, 3487 (78%) were in five regions located in north Italy and central Spain. Additionally, the same five regions show the highest NO2 concentrations combined with downwards airflow which prevent an efficient dispersion of air pollution. These results indicate that the long-term exposure to this pollutant may be one of the most important contributors to fatality caused by the COVID-19 virus in these regions and maybe across the whole world." [source]

• 83% of all fatalities (3701 cases) occurred in regions where the maximum NO2 concentration was above 100 μmol/m2
  • 15.5% (691 cases) occurred in regions where the maximum NO2 concentration was between 50 and 100 μmol/m2
  • 1.5% of all fatalities (51 cases) occurred in regions where the maximum NO2 concentration was below 50 μmol/m2
It shall be noted that there are other potentially decisive factors, such as a higher population density or a higher rate of international travel, that are also typical characteristics of urban areas, in addition to higher levels of pollution."

78% of air is NO2. I don't see how a small increase can have an impact on corona virus fatalities.
78% of air is Nitrogen gas (N2).

NO2 (nitrogen dioxide) is a poison biproduct fromed when burning fossil fuels (gas/coal/oil).

Its not a covid specific thing, destroys the lining of your lungs, any respiratory disease is more deadly when someone is exposed to high amounts of NO2. which is every major urban and industrialized part of the planet aka places with high populations

It's what we all call smog/air pollution.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Perfect segway for the next group question,.

1) Where are you? (state is fine)
2) Do stores have toilet paper there?

I've been able to find toilet paper at the supermarket the past 2 weekends. It's just a few packs left by the time I get there right after senior-only hours. I'm not sure what the toilet paper situation is at other supermarkets and stores in the area. I know my friend said she hasn't seen any at the supermarket she goes to but she also doesn't go until late in the day when stuff is long gone.

I have plenty of toilet paper, 34 of the mega rolls. It is just me so it will be many months before I need toilet paper again. I don't usually buy those big mega packs but that is all they have in the stores here. I didn't even know that they made packs of 24 mega rolls but that is all the store had. I just started a mega roll of paper towels and 4 more left so I am good there for awhile.

BJs and Costco typically sell the giant packages of mega sized rolls of toilet paper and paper towels.

I'm good on toilet paper and paper towels for quite awhile.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my masks already. Didn't make them because I can't get a good grip on anything so I ordered off of Amazon with gift cards I earned watching videos. Then to top it off the up and down, up and down, one day hot next day cold, rain then sun then snow (yep) in one day or the drop of 40 degrees in 2 hours and back up does not help with these joints. Remember I have issues of trip over catitis lol. Anyway the masks are pretty. And fit nice and snug but yet comfortable. And most important I can breathe.
Hard to find any to order anywhere.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Etsy.com has lots of face masks in different designs / shapes. Some sellers say they ship quickly but the item might not actually be handmade, just something the seller bought somewhere and is just reselling it at a marked up price.

A bandanda or scarf works in a pinch, even just a cut up piece of folded over t-shirt and tied around the back of the head.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Try sourdough bread. No yeast, baking powder, eggs or milk is needed. The foodies over on Foodie's Corner can give you a recipe for starter.

Thats the bread Ive been making.
Wild yeast bread takes a lot of patience. Your starter needs to be well fed and very active. Then, it takes a long time to rise properly: 2-3 hrs, then knead/shape, then another 3 hrs. Commercial yeasts work much more quickly, if you're the impatient sort. ;)

Still, you can make a variety of breads with wild yeast. I love to refer to the Wild Yeast Blog, even though it's no longer being updated, there is a ton of great info and recipes.

As for Covid... I'm waiting to see what shakes out for antibody testing and treatments.
And I'll be hitting Costco every morning to check their stock of tp and baby wipes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That'll keep everyone away! :eek2:

I saw a kid at Walmart wearing a Spiderman mask. Just like your standard Halloween mask, not a Spiderman-patterned face mask. Idk if that will stop saliva spray but he was cute anyway.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a recipe called Quick and Easy Drop Biscuits that my mom gave me years ago. They use baking powder. Very tasty. Let me know if you want the recipe and I’ll PM you!
I tried making a minibatch of scones. vegetable oil instead of butter baking soda instead of baking powder (1/2 the amount), yogurt instead of milk.

End result looked like a scone, tasted more like a crumbly soft pretzel.
94143909_523891468297329_7033700230776225792_n.jpg

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The towns around here keep having First Responder parades, a "dance-off" (everybody went out in their front yard and danced while the firefighters and first responders drove around), a "cruisin' Main" event (you'd have to be from a small town to know what that means!), birthday fire truck visits, "Honks=Hugs", etc.

It's nice, they should keep that kind of thing up even after this all settles down.
I wish they'd remember that it's not just health care workers and grocery store workers who risk their lives every day. A shout out to construction workers, factory workers, child care provider, transit workers, and utility workers!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Smithfield cases are over 900 now (there are 3,700 employees), and I just found out they're only testing people who have some sort of symptom. So the numbers are likely much higher.

The JBS plant in Worthington (about an hour away) has closed too, but they intend to test every employee (about 2,000). So it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Jefferson Speedway intends to hold races this weekend, they sold 700 tickets (vs the usual 4,000). They say they'll encourage face masks and proper spacing but I feel like this is a really bad idea.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Georgia, WTH ARE YOU DOING???
And yes, Neko-chan's mama Neko-chan's mama -- as well as sanitation workers, couriers, and not to be morbid, but those in the end-of-life business including coroners, funeral directors, etc. We don't want to even imagine how things would be without these brave people.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
My ship finally came in!
After hitting Costco for 4 weeks, they finally had tp and baby wipes!
Won't be for long, though, I only saw one palate of each.

There are some retail businesses that I could see re-opening first, but gyms, salons, restaurants, and theatres... it's just too early.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ The latest news is that many of us have likely been infected and are now immune. They think those who appeared to be reinfected were never clear of the virus and tested incorrectly. They too now have antibodies. A new blood test is being developed.
We learn more each week... 👍

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ The latest news is that many of us have likely been infected and are now immune. They think those who appeared to be reinfected were never clear of the virus and tested incorrectly. They too now have antibodies. A new blood test is being developed.
We learn more each week... 👍
Yes, we do. This unprecedented virus is teaching us what it will do and how it will do it, day by day. We mustn't think we are "smarter than it is" because "pride goeth before a fall" to be sure.