Corona Virus Now Spreading

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just seems odd that so many would test positive when they wear masks and gloves and are under extremely strict sanitation rules anyway,
I've never been in a meat plant, but perhaps a communal locker room...I would imagine (hope) they have access to showers at the end of the day, but even if they don't shower, I'm sure they still have locker rooms for the staff.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know the Somali community here in Columbus is very insular. They live in the same area of town and all of their socializing is within the community. As contagious as this is it could simply be a matter of one or two people picking it up in a store and then it spread thru the community like wildfire.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are 536 cases in my state. I think the major cities have locked down, but people in more rural areas are still being blase about it. Mom says they probably think it'll never reach them.
One of my job offers is in North Dakota. I was asking what precautions they are thinking about, etc. The job would start end of May. They said they were still discussing, but maybe have everyone quarantine for 2 weeks once they get here before starting work. They proceeded to say that, looking at the map, this is one of the safest places to be...

Living in an area where there are many, many cases, I understand the importance of staying safe and cautious, so it worried me a bit that was their answer. It did not seem like they were that worried, and other positions I've been offered shared they are driving separately out to the field and the workers are also being split up to different field sites, so not everyone is going to the same site and working together. So, it makes me agree with the statement that more rural areas feel safer and are not being as cautious.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, it makes me agree with the statement that more rural areas feel safer and are not being as cautious.
Yep, that's pretty common in this area anyway.

Also, if you're going to the oil field areas, stock up on pepper spray and other self-defense products. I've been told the oil field men are not exactly respectful of boundaries and consent.

6x16inside

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be the bad one here I guess.....
I DON'T wash my hands (a typical woman will have already wiped anything to wash on several pieces of clothing in the redressing procedure) Right or wrong, that's me.
My kids were never sickly UNTIL random daycare visits and then school (later replaced with online schooling) and haven't been sick since.
I know for a fact that I have not had flu or a cold since the mid 90s and
No, I don't and will never get a flu shot.....

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to pass along a really good article to read, especially if you are trying to be a family advocate with doctors and health care workers if you happen to have a family member (or even yourself) who might have or might get COVID-19. Hopefully the learning curve for all of us in dealing with this coronavirus is as quick a learning curve as possible. Reading this article might help a lot of people, I think.
For survivors of severe COVID-19, beating the virus is just the beginning

I and my family are doing fine so far (no signs of covid19), and I hope all is well with you and yours!

:vibes::hugs:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I read there's a meat packing plant in Colorado that has a lot too,
That’s JBS in Greeley in Weld County. I’ve been tracking it because I lived in Greeley for four years and have friends there. The county has a disproportionate number of cases (664 as of this morning) and deaths (40) for its population (300,000), and it’s baffled me. Many more of the deaths were in two nursing homes compared to JBS which has had two.

Greeley has a large, closely knit Hispanic community, and it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that a large number of cases are to be found in these neighborhoods. In terms of the deaths, we’ve all read what’s happening in the elder care facilities that haven’t been proactive.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw an interview with a doctor about severe coronavirus and using ventilators. The interviewer asked the doctor about survival rates after going on a ventilator, they aren't good. The doctor said it isn't the use of the ventilator, it is that people who get to that point are critically ill. He said that their lungs are damaged and what he called 'stiff'. The ventilator was the last resort treatment.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess that anybody who needs a ventilator for any reason probably doesn't have very good chances. A nebulizer or oxygen, sure, but breathing is a basic body function so if your body can't breathe on its own, that's not ever a good sign.
I'm going to be the bad one here I guess.....
I DON'T wash my hands (a typical woman will have already wiped anything to wash on several pieces of clothing in the redressing procedure) Right or wrong, that's me.
I assume you mean after using the bathroom, which, ew, but it's not generally dangerous. If you pass this virus on to a high-risk person, though, it could kill them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're up to 238 cases at the meat packing plant. That's more than half the total cases in Sioux Falls. Of course they don't say how many are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. I wonder if it's just because they started testing or if the pork plant really does have more cases than any other workplace. Like, what would they find if they tested everybody at the Post Office? Anyway the governor and the mayor want the plant to close down for 2 weeks for deep cleaning and to let people recover. I'm not sure if that would make much difference or just prolong things. And there's only so long food production can stop before things get out of hand.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
All healthy here.(knock on wood) Still can't get logged on to remote network for more than hour at a time for work-from-home. Very frustrating,since no work no pay.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think we would be surprised at how many people are positive or have antibodies showing that they have been exposed. Very little is really known about this virus but I think there are large numbers of people who remained asymptomatic or had very mild symptoms. Don't know the why of that but it is one of the things we need to figure out. They did antibody tests on people in a small town in Germany and that is what they found out. There was enough people who had had it and didn't know it to bring the mortality rate down well below 1 percent when before in that area the mortality rate was around 3 percent.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Coronavirus Tests Are Being Fast-Tracked by the FDA, but It's Unclear How Accurate They Are.

This is very troubling. Even with testing we really don't know where we are because the tests are not very accurate. I read about another one, a Broadway star but I don't remember his name, who is his early forties. He is hospitalized in critical condition with pneumonia and his organs are beginning to fail. Two negative tests and the third one was positive. I believe that there are also false positives. We really do not know where we are with this thing.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Off topic but every time Willowy mentions Sioux Falls my mind automatically skips to Supernatural....