Corona Virus Now Spreading

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going to skip our weekly Saturday shopping trip as well. I wish people would just listen to what the experts say and just stay home! If people just stayed put for a week this thing would peter out.

Although I did see an article where France has banned daytime outdoor exercise...as if the virus goes to bed at night...

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, doesn't make me feel good when one of the cats came up to smell my hand and jumped back and hissed. Ugh I really hope I don't have this thing as she was fine around me til she smelled my hand. I didn't do anything different. I'll have to monitor myself if crazy woman upstairs lets me. Ugh

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Pierogi Fest was officially postponed until next year (so theu say, but since it's every year, I think cancelled is more appropriate). Sadness, but makes sense.

I need to go grocery shopping and toilet paper hunting tomorrow. I've been spacing out my weekly trips to every 9-10 days instead, so it's time, and I want to pick up some Easter candy, too.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Restaurants here have raised prices. They say its because of the higher ingredient cost. Though im sure they wont lower their prices again once this is over.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, doesn't make me feel good when one of the cats came up to smell my hand and jumped back and hissed. Ugh I really hope I don't have this thing as she was fine around me til she smelled my hand. I didn't do anything different. I'll have to monitor myself if crazy woman upstairs lets me. Ugh
C’mon now. This type of fear mongering it is what we need to avoid. It’s much more likely that you had an unusual scent on you or something like that. There is enough of a witch hunt out there right now about cats and this virus that we don’t need to contribute to it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately there is a lot of confusion because there is a coronavirus that is endemic to cats and is very common among cats. Add to that the cats immune response to that virus is the root cause of FIP which happens in a small percentage of cats. The virus that has caused this global pandemic is different. This virus is one that is endemic to bats and made the jump to humans through another animal.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry if I was confusing. I didn't say the cats can give us the virus. I do know cats and dogs can smell an illness that is in humans (like dogs can tell if his human has cancer). So my statement was, could I be sick, showing no signs of an illness and the cat (Sopdet) smelled my illness on me. There are some people that show no signs at all. Sorry for the confusion.. I mean with the shortage of test kits for humans, I think that having a living test alert you to a problem is an alternative especially when you have a mother like mine that forces you to ignore stay at home orders and grocery shop every day and be around people who still refuse to wear a mask and cough all over the place considering I'm almost 65 years old which makes me susceptible. Sopdet would have no other reason to be scared of me, as she has smelled all kinds of stuff on me before. It's the same reaction the cats had when I injured my toe, just days before Treasure got hurt.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Sorry I was not here for a few weeks-looks like stores are still stripped of toilet paper and such. now pasta is gone. Plenty of tomato sauces though. plenty of junk food. Frozen foods still half full. Some stores put a limit on customers but I went into market basket Sat morning to shop for my neighbor and they didn't seem to be counting-but it was at 7am and they have senior shopping at 6am. No tp to be found but Jon went scouting for it this week even though we don't need it. I think he just likes poking around Walmart. he had to pick up his meds so it wasn't out of the way.
Yesterday after work scored pasta at our Ocean state lot=they have a TON=so bought up a ton for myself and my neighbor-plus canned beans for chili etc..we also ordered more pet food last week just incase this mess continues next month...so for now-just staying home then to work, then to grocery then mess around in the garden and my bike rides which I will be resuming next week...

I had an interesting 3 weeks. I ended up having the pneumonia-I didn't go to the doctors right away because they all said not seeing anyone..I went March 25th and the walk in has us do our exams outside. Meanwhile it was 40 degrees winds whipping and I was cold..I didn't have a fever but I had marbles in my chest and hard to breathe. Luckily I was able to get meds from them-they wouldn't give me an Xray as they are not doing bloodwork or Xrays-no one is allowed in the building..this is the first time I didn't have to beg for comfort meds!!! They gave me a script for 4 different things-said if it didn't get better in 48 hours, then off to the ER/ Which no way in hell would I go unless I was on deathbed. the last time I went-it cost me 3K. So luckily the doxycycline worked within 36 hours, the inhaler helped-I am still on an inhaler cause I still wheezing but I am back to work and back to working out-they told me to lay off hard core working out for a bit to let my lungs heal.

They wouldn't test me cause my state you have to meet the 3 criteria- temp over 100.4F, overseas, and +Covid living with me or work together-so they said no test for you even though I had the classic breathing issues-I had been fighting a sinus infection in late Feb/march and I wasn't listening to my body-I am ok-and it was scary how much rattling was in my chest and the discomfort but I am just glad it went away. I didn't spend much time online=I watched a ton of TV and slept a ton. My job let me take more time off than I normally due to them not wanting me here if I am sick. two other coworkers have been out for severe illness too-they couldn't get tested either...my manager was told to leave several times and they wanted him to get tested but we all told them-my state isn't testing..anyways sorry wrote a book-I was too tired to even work my puzzles or work in the garden. This past weekend was my first time out of bed for 2 weeks..felt strange to say the least. oh by the way my symptoms went away for 2 days then returned with a vengeance... and I spent 3 weeks in the bedroom away From Jon to keep him from catching it-Lilah has been stuck to my side every day-she sleeps under the covers with me and Jon was sun bathing on the nice days=I sat in the sun a few days to get out of bed...

I hope everyone is feeling ok and no one gets sick. I sure hope no one gets this nasty illness.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This past weekend was my first time out of bed for 2 weeks..felt strange to say the least. oh by the way my symptoms went away for 2 days then returned with a vengeance...
Hmmm... that sounds a lot like some of the cases I've read about, so I'm guessing if you had gotten tested, you would have been positive for Covid. Glad you're finally feeling better. :hugs:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Sorry I was not here for a few weeks-looks like stores are still stripped of toilet paper and such. now pasta is gone. Plenty of tomato sauces though. plenty of junk food. Frozen foods still half full. Some stores put a limit on customers but I went into market basket Sat morning to shop for my neighbor and they didn't seem to be counting-but it was at 7am and they have senior shopping at 6am. No tp to be found but Jon went scouting for it this week even though we don't need it. I think he just likes poking around Walmart. he had to pick up his meds so it wasn't out of the way.
Yesterday after work scored pasta at our Ocean state lot=they have a TON=so bought up a ton for myself and my neighbor-plus canned beans for chili etc..we also ordered more pet food last week just incase this mess continues next month...so for now-just staying home then to work, then to grocery then mess around in the garden and my bike rides which I will be resuming next week...

I had an interesting 3 weeks. I ended up having the pneumonia-I didn't go to the doctors right away because they all said not seeing anyone..I went March 25th and the walk in has us do our exams outside. Meanwhile it was 40 degrees winds whipping and I was cold..I didn't have a fever but I had marbles in my chest and hard to breathe. Luckily I was able to get meds from them-they wouldn't give me an Xray as they are not doing bloodwork or Xrays-no one is allowed in the building..this is the first time I didn't have to beg for comfort meds!!! They gave me a script for 4 different things-said if it didn't get better in 48 hours, then off to the ER/ Which no way in hell would I go unless I was on deathbed. the last time I went-it cost me 3K. So luckily the doxycycline worked within 36 hours, the inhaler helped-I am still on an inhaler cause I still wheezing but I am back to work and back to working out-they told me to lay off hard core working out for a bit to let my lungs heal.

They wouldn't test me cause my state you have to meet the 3 criteria- temp over 100.4F, overseas, and +Covid living with me or work together-so they said no test for you even though I had the classic breathing issues-I had been fighting a sinus infection in late Feb/march and I wasn't listening to my body-I am ok-and it was scary how much rattling was in my chest and the discomfort but I am just glad it went away. I didn't spend much time online=I watched a ton of TV and slept a ton. My job let me take more time off than I normally due to them not wanting me here if I am sick. two other coworkers have been out for severe illness too-they couldn't get tested either...my manager was told to leave several times and they wanted him to get tested but we all told them-my state isn't testing..anyways sorry wrote a book-I was too tired to even work my puzzles or work in the garden. This past weekend was my first time out of bed for 2 weeks..felt strange to say the least. oh by the way my symptoms went away for 2 days then returned with a vengeance... and I spent 3 weeks in the bedroom away From Jon to keep him from catching it-Lilah has been stuck to my side every day-she sleeps under the covers with me and Jon was sun bathing on the nice days=I sat in the sun a few days to get out of bed...

I hope everyone is feeling ok and no one gets sick. I sure hope no one gets this nasty illness.
I'm astounded at the protocols for testing! Surely the horse has already bolted for the overseas one to be valid.
I'm glad you're so much better. Welcome back. :)

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have an appointment with immigration next Tuesday to renew my visa (I get a new ID card this year since my old one is full!) but I just got a text message from immigration services saying that my visa has been automatically extended due to the virus and them not wanting the offices to be crowded. I think I am keeping my appointment though because I need my ID to be able to get onto the military base when my team begins training again (who knows when that will be) and right now the ID says it expired in March...don't need the extra headache of explaining the automatic visa extensions to US military guys or local cops for that matter--I've been walking softly whenever I see police patrols because I'm afraid now that they'll think I'm a recent arrival breaking quarantine and ask to see my ID...

It is nice though that they've extended visas. I'm sure a lot of people here on labor visas (factory, farm, construction work) have benefited greatly from it. Especially if their home country has suspended flights completely. And without new employees coming in for the season, there's probably a lot of work.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are in the US, please download the How We Feel app in the Apple or Google play store. Because we do not have enough testing available, this project will help scientists and doctors track the spread of the virus and find out what measures are working. It takes 30 seconds a day to report your symptoms (whether your are sick or healthy). The more people that participate, the better the science will be. They also donate a meal to people in need for every download. More info at HowWeFeel - Join the Global Movement

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have authorized pharmacists to give the test for the virus and the fingerprick test for the antibodies. Of course being authorized doesn't automatically mean that every pharmacy will have the tests to give.