Corona Virus Now Spreading

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Currently available for $1.99 (US): The Coronavirus Prevention Handbook, by Weng Zhou, M.D..

From Amazon's Author Bio:
About the Author
Wang Zhou, M.D., is the Chief Physician of the Wuhan Center for Disease Control and Prevention and a professor at Huazhong University of Science and Technology and Wuhan University. He is a world leader in the research of the control of contagious diseases and has been the principal investigator of several research projects funded by the National Institutes of Health (US), the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and National Health Commission of China, among others.
Dr. Wang is likely one of the most knowledgeable people around on this subject. Even though this book hasn't been out there long enough to have any reviews on Amazon, I'm recommending it. A very knowledgeable friend has bought it and says that it appears to contain a lot of excellent advice.

If you click on the "View Price..." button here: The Coronavirus Prevention Handbook by Wang Zhou - BookBub you'll get links to all major ebook sellers. I've no idea how long this price will last, but when it goes up it will presumably go to around $10.

Margret

splasha1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Considering the devastation of SARS, I don't understand why more precautions weren't put in place right off the hop. This may sound extreme but a quarantine / travel ban should be implemented. I know they have the main city where most cases came from under a quarantine at the moment, but It's not enough IMO.
President Trump did place a very early travel ban from the origin city in China and was immediately called all kinds of negative names. With a group of top medical doctors involved he appears to be doing as they advise. Sometimes you're "damned" if you do and "damned" if you don't.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
One of my cyberfriends has this in their sig line and it made me wonder if we could come up with something similar, only about cats instead of motorcycles:

It makes me sad visiting all my old forum boards and learning off-topic things about my friends that make me think, "this one is going to die this week and that one is going to die next month and what on earth is this other one saying in public and why?"

I don't recommend it. :(

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well...I'm officially off work for the foreseeable future.
My professional governing body sent out an alert saying that we should take heed and stop all non-essential services.
I work in massage/physical therapy, so it's kinda hard to practice social distancing when I have to touch my clients. And as a regulated health professional, we are expected to lead by example, not to mention it's mandatory to follow the Ministry of Health's recommendations. It was not "mandatory" in the sense that it was forced on us by our government, but pretty well all other professions who also got this message from their governing bodies have also closed except for emergencies (dentists, chiropractors..etc...) And as much as I would like to think I am an "essential service", I am not. We do have some clients where treatment is very necessary but not essential.
My boss made the decision least night to close for the week, and we are taking this week by week. We will be advising our clients on the Friday, prior to the following week's appointment if we are going to re-open. I'm hoping that if we all take this seriously enough, the "curve will flatten" quickly and people will be able to return to work in a reasonable time.
To anyone in Ontario (I'm in northern ON), what are you doing for your work situation? Do you have the option to work from home?

I will be contacting unemployment today to see what's what as for getting at least some income depending on how long I'll have to stay home. We are a small privately owned clinic and there is just not any money to pay all the employees without any income coming in from our services that we can't provide. Our government has made some changes to our unemployment policies for this pandemic, making it easier for people to apply so we'll see how that goes. Supposedly there will also be financial support given to businesses in need but I'm not sure how that works, so I'm not holding my breath that my boss will be able to pay me right now.

If I'm only off for a couple of weeks I probably won't go thru unemployment, and just take the financial hit. I just recently came down with a cold and would have cancelled a few days of clients this week anyway, so it doesn't seem right that I take advantage of EI at this time, but we'll see how it goes.

So the plan is to get a good head start on my spring cleaning while I'm home for the week, and get up to date on paper work, and of course rest my head cold body....it's NOT covid....it's just a cold!!!! :lol:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are now saying that approximately 79% of spread is caused by people who do not know they have it. That isn't because of lack of testing, they have very mild or no symptoms.
That is exactly why testing is important. A person can be a carrier whether they show symptoms or not. How is a person not showing symptoms to know they need to self quarantine unless they get tested?

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm used to being inside all the time except to be in the yard with the cats. I do GPT sites to earn a bit of money though, supplementing my partial pension check. And now that the weather is warming up a bit I can take the work outside in the stairwell. 1/4 acre backyard, I'm sure there's plenty of distance between me and someone else. I can set one of my cams upstairs with Mom so that if she calls me I can be ready to respond. In fact just ordered another cam and for $20 cams they work flawlessly.

Cleaning the basement though. Not because of the Coronavirus but because between the cats, Mom and earning money it looks like a cyclone hit the area. (I live in the basement). I have books to read, catching up on Castle Rock on Hulu. I watched a few episodes of Star Trek: Picard but didn't like. Not the Picard I loved in the 80s and a bit violent for Star Trek imo. But again my opinion. There's so much that I do need to get done around here though. As far as self isolation: I"m pretty much used to that. Been doing it for 9 years because of Mom except for the essential grocery shopping.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I rescheduled my doctor and dentist appointments to May 20th and June 2nd...They sounded really annoyed, must be a lot of people are canceling.
Don't even let them make you feel bad!!! We canceled my mothers appointment as well (it was a follow up for going over her chem panel.) and they sounded irritated with us too but I told them on the phone, my mother is 65 and has diabetes. I'm NOT taking her to a hospital right now unless it's an emergency, especially since they were doing coronavirus testing THAT day. They gotta be out of their mind being annoyed with the cancelling.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's just me, and the fact that I have knowledge in health and medicine, but does/is anyone else utterly disappointed with most of the information that constantly, repeatedly being talked about especially in the press...meaning the questions that journalists keep asking?
For example, our Prime Minister gave an announcement yesterday, and during the question period, pretty well ALL the follow up questions were about why did you not close the borders sooner, why are the US borders still open, do you think you made a mistake, will you be closing the US border, what will be the catalyst that make you close the US border...and on and on.
SERIOUSLY, for most intelligent Canadians, that is NOT the priority. We want to know what's being done about those who can't work, what will happen with our bills and debts...ect... Yes travel information is important but they keep quibbling on the little things and it's really getting on my nerves!
One question asked was...What type of help will you offer those who want to return to Canada if they went of vacation? No offence to those Canadians...But sorry, you're on your own IMO...YOU decided to go on your vacation after it's been said for several weeks to stop ALL NON-ESSENTIAL travel...Sucks to be you, but there are far more important things to focus our resources on than the selfish who decided to go on their beach vacation after being told not to. I'm I just being mean?

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
< snip >
I'm I just being mean?
Jem, I am afraid I simply do not have the context to answer your question because I live in a very humble county South of you and we're simply going to have to get used to bveing hoinest about things like that.

If your Prime Minister is following in BoJo's footsteps then no, you are not just being mean, and what difference would it even make if you were?

I obviously can't speak for every legal citizen of the United States of America when I can't even bring myself to SAY that I'm a US American, but if anyone whose wife is poz (and I don't mean HiV) is dumb enough to.....

Suffice it to say, all you have to say is, "I'm from Ontario." and don't sweat the small stuff, 'kay? Now do as I say, not as I do and get some sleep. That's your own typo I just quoted and when I start doing stuff like that, it's a red flag that it's time to put the electronic device down and go do something else for awhile.

Am I allowed to post a link to my personal friend's personal blog here?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried a few times so far to get thru to EI. And of course, due to the high volume of calls, I'm not just put on hold, they are saying I need to call back or go online. The thing is, the information I need and I'm trying to find out is not online. :( Basically I just have to apply, but technically, I can't apply yet because I have not been out of work for at least a week. And I don't have my pay stubs in front of me. They are in the computer system at work, as I've never needed a paper copy. My manager said it's quite easy to print them off if and when I need them so it's not a huge deal, but I was hoping to at least get some information before I decided to apply and ask my manager to gather all my info...
:gaah:
I guess I'll keep calling...:sigh:

W Willow's Mom , Maybe it's just me, but I have NO IDEA what you are trying to say and how it pertains to may last comment....:confused2:
we're simply going to have to get used to bveing hoinest about things like that.
????
If your Prime Minister is following in BoJo's footsteps then no, you are not just being mean,
Who's BoJo???
what difference would it even make if you were?
Just wanted an opinion, but the real context of my post was about what type of info is being focused on. You simply picked up on the last 5 words.
I obviously can't speak for every legal citizen of the United States of America when I can't even bring myself to SAY that I'm a US American, but if anyone whose wife is poz (and I don't mean HiV) is dumb enough to.....
What does not saying you're american have to do with any of this?
Suffice it to say, all you have to say is, "I'm from Ontario." and don't sweat the small stuff, 'kay? Now do as I say, not as I do and get some sleep.
??????????????????????????????????
That's your own typo I just quoted and when I start doing stuff like that, it's a red flag that it's time to put the electronic device down and go do something else for awhile.
Again...WT.????????????????????????????????????

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did end up getting some adult coloring books and pens & colored pencils about a month ago, and they are sure coming in handy for dealing with stress. I've taken 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there, just coloring and de-stressing.

Oh, and I found a "sport" I got my husband to watch on his computer during the times he is not working-from-home, lol (with no sports on the television, he is getting cranky!) >>>

It's kind of fun:

The Marble Rally 2019
and,

The Marble League

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me know if you want the details. Or look on-line for no knead bread.
I've seen round loves of bread like that at the grocery store, I have been meaning to try one for sandwiches. Probably all gone now!

don't know, but what is wrong with drying your butt with a blow dryer? Serious question, not a joke at your expoense.
I don't know if we even have a blow dryer. I let my hair air dry.

But the one I have doesn't have a strong enough air flow so it takes forever. I'm sure they'll improve on that in the future.
I'll wait until they improve the technology then. I don't want a soggy butt/pants. :lol:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just a few reminders:

This is the Cat Lounge, not the IMO forum. Political talk belongs in the IMO forum.

Stay on Topic. If your post belongs in another thread, put it in that thread or start a new thread.

Be kind. I know we are all concerned and going stir-crazy, but don't take it out on each other. You want to go a few rounds with someone, do it on Facebook, not here. We're not going to tolerate it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I went to vote today, and I will say the poll workers were on top of things. They were sanitizing the pens before we signed, the markers for marking our paper ballots, and there was hand sanitizer available (well, it was attached to the wall because I vote in a middle school cafeteria, but I'm counting it). So good job there!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tp is something I and many heavy internet users or world travellers would think of as being more American than Apple Pie, but don't you let anybody make you feel bad about that!

Of course you might have to and find out that you prefer to "just do what everybody else does", but Toilet Paper, as in what went viral that wasn't a literal novel coronavirus, suprisingly originated in Australia. A lot of memes mislabel photographs of Australian big box stores as having been taken at US big box stores during a completely different epoch of the post-3/13 era.

doomsdave doomsdave , there isn't a Chinatown in my neck of the redwood forest, but that was a brilliant idea on your part and well worth sharing. A lot of the Chinese-American people who live in these areas have Mom & Pop stores, just like we do here, but they already took a hit from the racism that preceeded 3/13. They must really appreciate your business right now, but no, they would not be hoarding hidden secret stashes of tp because most people just aren't that into such a rather uniquely local product.

Most United States citizens cannot imagine life without it. That doesn't automatically mean that they are stupid or unimaginative. I can't imagine life without Cytopoint or life without Laurel either,and furthermore, I don't want to.
Actually, my roommate (pictured below) suggested the idea of "going over the hill to China" (literally); I rather assumed it would be worse. Nice to be wrong! I'll take my crow extra-crispy with kung-pao sauce and extra peanuts . .

And, we had our fair share of anti-Chinese racism here, too. Chinese massacre of 1871 - Wikipedia It's starting to revive again in the wake of a whole bunch of things.

Wheel in the sky keeps turning . . . .

TAR BABY RECLINING ON RECLINING PERSON.jpg

Last edited: