Corona Virus Now Spreading

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The Rolling Stones just announced the postponement of their tour as the health and safety of the fans take top priority but to hold on to tickets if you have them for further information.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I ate in a restaurant last night. Glad I did, as now all restaurants in this state are not allowed to seat customers. Only take-out. I am going to get a 25" pizza in a few minutes and freeze half. And tomorrow I will get two orders of Szechuan chicken and two quarts of hot and sour soup at my favorite Chinese place and freeze most of that. I saw an interview with a healthy American in China. He said the main problem he was having was boredom! Good thing I have cats, books, videos, streaming TV and the great outdoors!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a personal note: does anyone know if gynecologist offices will close if we are forcibly quarantined? i have an important test on 4/9. just concerned because i see everything closing down.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is nothing new, alas.

Humans have been through far far more horrific epidemics before, and, sadly, that's the pattern.

The Black Death supposedly killed literally half the people in western Europe, more or less. And, except to run and pray, maybe, no one could do a thing about it. Imagine walking through the 'hood and seeing the houses of the dead, half of them, more or less.

And this wasn't some wimpy little virus pretending to be a cold. I'd show pictures, but they're disturbing.

Imagine how that would hit the soul.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPS guy just told me Amazon shut down. I need to go looking, if that's true that's a major development! Yikes!

ETA: can't find anything yet. I'll give it a few hours before calling it a rumor; maybe UPS guys know more than most of us.

Last edited:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I deal well with isolation as I grew up an only child and have been stuck at home for the past 9 years, but I still do not understand how a doctor can properly diagnose you over a computerized device. I understand the importance now but I will always be more in favor of a doctor physically looking at me then using some kind of contraption that can crash at any time (like all my devices do). Maybe I'm just a technophobe and use it as a necessary evil (making money). And just so most know I totally despise AIs, like Alexa and Siri
We used Telehealth in Homecare when I was working as a nurse, and it worked very well for the things it was appropriate for. Can send vital signs, weight, if has a camera can see a wound etc. If it is beyone the scope of Telehealth the nurse would advise the patient to call their provider, or we would call for them to make an appointment, advise to go to Urgent Care or ER etc.- let the patient know that they need to be seen in person. And always tell the patient that if they still feel they want to be seen in person then for sure go/call. It saved a lot of ER visits that weren't necessary. Especially good in rural areas to save a trip of 50 miles or so that may not be needed.
And if the system went down then the patient would always have to be seen in person.
It doesn't work for everything, but some things it's great. Tech is great for some things, not for others for sure!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
doomsdave doomsdave - The Black Death was worse than that. Corpses were thrown out in the street, and for some time, people with carts carried them off to a common burial ground. Then there weren't enough people to cart them off, so they piled up in the streets. Nobody saw half empty houses - there were too many corpses in the way.

The Black Death resulted in the collapse of the feudal system. The serfs left their land and started demanding higher wages. See A Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
doomsdave doomsdave - The Black Death was worse than that. Corpses were thrown out in the street, and for some time, people with carts carried them off to a common burial ground. Then there weren't enough people to cart them off, so they piled up in the streets. Nobody saw half empty houses - there were too many corpses in the way.

The Black Death resulted in the collapse of the feudal system. The serfs left their land and started demanding higher wages. See A Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman.
Oh, yes.

They still find middens of skeletons tossed in mass graves.

Everyone, imagine that? Imagine your mother, brother, father sister (you)?

The plague in Europe hung around for centuries and ravaged. The unfortunates pictured below in France are from the 1720s.
Bubonic_plague_victims-mass_grave_in_Martigues,_France_1720-1721.jpg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was really disappointed with the hoarding going on at the grocery store. Clearing shelves so that others have none is selfish and mean spirited. There are no supply issues with food and necessities. Grocery stores here have an order on line and pick up at the loading dock option so even if someone is positive they can still get necessities. It would just be a matter of letting the store know that you do not want help loading the bags in your car. I can see running a store out of something like thermometers. People without kids still at home probably don't have one and that is one way to check if you possibly have this, certainly not positive proof but a strong indicator. Because they don't sell that many stores don't have a lot in stock. But things like toilet paper, baby wipes, and canned goods there is no excuse for stripping the store shelves of things like that.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPS guy just told me Amazon shut down. I need to go looking, if that's true that's a major development! Yikes!

ETA: can't find anything yet. I'll give it a few hours before calling it a rumor; maybe UPS guys know more than most of us.
I found this-Amazon to stop accepting all products other than medical supplies and household staples to its warehouses amid coronavirus crisis — read the memo it just sent sellers

"Amazon said in an email to sellers that it was now prioritizing shipment in the following six categories: baby product; health and household (including personal-care appliances); beauty and personal care; grocery; industrial and scientific; pet supplies."

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep I just found that; that must be what he heard. That's still quite a development but at least I can still get cat food.

He was saying parcel volume is going to go way down but I'm not so sure of that. Those are the main things people buy anyway, and they're bound to order more now.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
A Kentucky coronavirus patient refused to quarantine, so police are surrounding his house to force him to

Here it comes.

A Kentucky novel coronavirus patient checked himself out of the hospital against medical advice. So to prevent him from spreading the virus, officials are surrounding his house to keep him there.
The 53-year-old man in Nelson County refused to quarantine himself after testing positive for Covid-19, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said.

Nelson County officials "forced an isolation" on the man, one of the first 20 confirmed Covid-19 cases in the state.

"It's a step I hoped that I'd never have to take," Beshear said in a conference on Saturday. "But I can't allow one person who we know has this virus to refuse to protect their neighbors."

Beshear didn't share then how the government had forced the unnamed man to stay in his home.
I had in the past a couple of TB patients who refused to stay out of the community and they were arrested and forced to be in the hospital in a negative pressure airflow room until not contagious. (I was a nurse.) So for TB there is a law, not sure if it covers covid-19 but it protects people. Sounds not fair, but it's not fair to expose people more I'd say. Especially us older people and those who have immune deficiencies and are so susceptible.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more thing, the plague's still with us, and if you look at the map, it's present in critters in the Western USA.
And while the Canadians didn't report any, I seriously doubt critters paid attention to the boundaries between it and the US.

World_distribution_of_plague_1998.PNG

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had in the past a couple of TB patients who refused to stay out of the community and they were arrested and forced to be in the hospital in a negative pressure airflow room until not contagious. (I was a nurse.) So for TB there is a law, not sure if it covers covid-19 but it protects people. Sounds not fair, but it's not fair to expose people more I'd say. Especially us older people and those who have immune deficiencies and are so susceptible.
I REMEMBER, that drug-proof TB. Oh yes, we had a case out here, where they had to forcibly confine someone.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah but plague is curable with antibiotics (still an 11% death rate so don't hug a prairie dog!). And most of us don't have fleas anymore like they did back then, we have so many pesticides. So there couldn't be another real outbreak. . .unless we overuse antibiotics and pesticides so they don't work anymore :/.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a personal note: does anyone know if gynecologist offices will close if we are forcibly quarantined? i have an important test on 4/9. just concerned because i see everything closing down.
They might not know themselves at this point. My dad is a gynecologist and there are going to be changes, but they can't close down because you can't postpone pregnancies at the very least. Hopefully they will communicate with you soon. They definitely don't want you to not receive care that you need, but it is going to be a matter of prioritizing risks.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They might not know themselves at this point. My dad is a gynecologist and there are going to be changes, but they can't close down because you can't postpone pregnancies at the very least. Hopefully they will communicate with you soon. They definitely don't want you to not receive care that you need, but it is going to be a matter of prioritizing risks.
thank you! i was going to call, but like you said, who knows if they even know.

im not sure if they would put my case as a priority. im taking meds for abnormal cells and we need to do a test to see if the medication i am taking is working. i dont want to put this off indefinitely, i was very lucky to catch this so early. So it makes me nervous to put off doing this biopsy. :sigh: my gyno is an oncologist and doesnt handle pregnancies, not sure if his practice is more likely to close.

sorry, if i went off topic. :frown: