Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At the moment I am down to one 16 year old cat that is on a prescription food. I am on autoship from the same supplier that supplies vets. It was already really expensive and they just hiked the price. She is in the early stages of CKD and it has kept her numbers stable for two years so I pay it.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was announced that new information has come out to those who may be infected with covid19, and are treating and self-isolating at home. A doctor was being interviewed and he mentioned that for those who wish to treat their aches and pains and fever, it is highly recommended to use acetaminophen products (like tylenol), and not to use ibuprofen products (like advil). I honestly only caught part of it but something to the effect that ibuprofen does something or changes how your body can effectively fight off the infection.
It was in interview on TV but I found this article relating to it.
Anti-inflammatory drugs could worsen COVID-19 symptoms, France warns

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm watching the press conference today, just as I watched yesterday.

It's good they are amping up the opportunities and ability for Telehealth for medicare and medicaid, whether for seniors or otherwise. I've had a lot of fear for my elderly parents, who live in another state in the US and I am unable to visit them to help them.

But it made me think of another type or set of IMPORTANT health issues that might benefit from a Telehealth format, for people who are elderly, ill, self-isolating or self-quaranting, and who are having difficult times with things: the mental health aspect. What about mental health professionals and the people they help and serve? I think a lot can be done in that regard, with so many people going through their "normal" mental health habits or crises but also with people beginning to have mental health concerns specifically in regards to this coronavirus. I wonder if that will be addressed in the future.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that many of the telehealth formants that are already available includes psychologists. That is going to become an issue very soon for most people. Humans are by their nature social creatures and most of us do not cope well with isolation for any length of time. If this works and we don't have a visible health crisis it won't be long before people start going out and socializing again, that is pretty much a given.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighborhood has its own Facebook page, and people have come up with a couple of ideas about how to socialize. One person organized a get-together by having everyone on her block come out at 6 p.m. and walk around or sit in a lawn chair on their driveway. That way you can have conversations while still maintaining the six-foot distance.

A couple of neighborhoods have asked people to put a shamrock in their window, and then on a certain day, parents walk their kids around counting shamrocks. A good way to get some exercise, fresh air, and have fun.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I deal well with isolation as I grew up an only child and have been stuck at home for the past 9 years, but I still do not understand how a doctor can properly diagnose you over a computerized device. I understand the importance now but I will always be more in favor of a doctor physically looking at me then using some kind of contraption that can crash at any time (like all my devices do). Maybe I'm just a technophobe and use it as a necessary evil (making money). And just so most know I totally despise AIs, like Alexa and Siri

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I deal well with isolation as I grew up an only child and have been stuck at home for the past 9 years, but I still do not understand how a doctor can properly diagnose you over a computerized device. I understand the importance now but I will always be more in favor of a doctor physically looking at me then using some kind of contraption that can crash at any time (like all my devices do). Maybe I'm just a technophobe and use it as a necessary evil (making money). And just so most know I totally despise AIs, like Alexa and Siri
It works pretty good for basic things. For example, I get ingrown toenails fairly easily. I already know the signs of when I need antibiotics versus self care. The teledoctor system connects me with a doctor, I send a photo, explain that I have a history and know it's at that point. The doctor reviews my history and photo: agrees or disagrees. If they agree, I get a prescription sent to the local pharmacy (note we are talking every 3-4 years it gets to that point, not antibiotic crazy over here) and a note that if it gets worse to see an in person doctor. If they disagree, they recommend I visit my local urgent care or call my PCP for an in person evaluation. It takes 10 minutes and I am not exposed to people with potentially contagious issues or taking up time in an office for something I already know the outcome for.

For this whole thing, teledoctor will be pretty valid. Do you have a cough? Do you have a fever? How is your breathing? Can you do the following breathing exercises? There is an app out there with something like 70-80% accuracy to detect pneumonia based on breathing patterns. The teledoctor is really just to weed out those who can skip seeing an in person doctor. Once they have drive up centers set up in the US, the teledoctor could direct people to go to the drive up center if its warranted or tell people what home care to take if their symptoms are at the lower end.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was announced that new information has come out to those who may be infected with covid19, and are treating and self-isolating at home. A doctor was being interviewed and he mentioned that for those who wish to treat their aches and pains and fever, it is highly recommended to use acetaminophen products (like tylenol), and not to use ibuprofen products (like advil). I honestly only caught part of it but something to the effect that ibuprofen does something or changes how your body can effectively fight off the infection.
It was in interview on TV but I found this article relating to it.
Anti-inflammatory drugs could worsen COVID-19 symptoms, France warns
There is no evidence that this is the case with COVID-19. This is based on a hypothesis that hasn't really been proven for any virus, much less this new one.

It's really important that people talk to their doctors individually about what medications are safest for them. It's true that tylenol generally has fewer harmful side effects than NSAIDS, but there are also situations where tylenol might not be a good idea, so everyone's risk factors need to be assessed individually.

Government officials and journalists need to get better about not distorting information that scientists give them. If you want the best information about this crisis, please look at direct quotes from epidemiologists and virologists. Lots of them are very diligent about comminicating on Twitter right now. Sometimes the most accurate answer is, unfortunately, "we don't know yet," and as scary as that is, it can be much more harmful to make inaccurate guesses.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no evidence that this is the case with COVID-19. This is based on a hypothesis that hasn't really been proven for any virus, much less this new one.

It's really important that people talk to their doctors individually about what medications are safest for them. It's true that tylenol generally has fewer harmful side effects than NSAIDS, but there are also situations where tylenol might not be a good idea, so everyone's risk factors need to be assessed individually.

Government officials and journalists need to get better about not distorting information that scientists give them. If you want the best information about this crisis, please look at direct quotes from epidemiologists and virologists. Lots of them are very diligent about comminicating on Twitter right now. Sometimes the most accurate answer is, unfortunately, "we don't know yet," and as scary as that is, it can be much more harmful to make inaccurate guesses.
Or in my situation, no medication at all unless homeopathic as I'm allergic to all kinds of meds. Imagine suffering for a month with a fracture and not able to take pain meds. I can only imagine how horrible it would be for me to get this since meds will trigger my medical problems.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom is officially in a nursing facility as of yesterday so I'm definitely all alone. I'm still working as I do have a couple of clients out of town.

I can say as far as how traffic looks, it hit me Friday when I was on my way to a client's around 4pm. Friday rush hour traffic typically starts around 3pm. And going west in particular there's tons of traffic, and I had to go west quite a ways. It may as well have been mid-day on a Sunday. And speaking of Sunday, I was driving home from visits around 8pm on Sunday evening. There's not usually a ton of traffic but there are definitely a good amount of cars out and about. It was like I was driving around at 3am. Totally dead.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tons of restaurants have gone to pickup only. I have several shifts for EatStreet this week and can’t decide if I want to call out of all or just call out of some or none at all. I do kind of need the money; I don’t use it for regular bills but I have a little left on my credit card to pay off + vehicle tags and taxes in April.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Kentucky coronavirus patient refused to quarantine, so police are surrounding his house to force him to

Here it comes.

A Kentucky novel coronavirus patient checked himself out of the hospital against medical advice. So to prevent him from spreading the virus, officials are surrounding his house to keep him there.
The 53-year-old man in Nelson County refused to quarantine himself after testing positive for Covid-19, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said.

Nelson County officials "forced an isolation" on the man, one of the first 20 confirmed Covid-19 cases in the state.

"It's a step I hoped that I'd never have to take," Beshear said in a conference on Saturday. "But I can't allow one person who we know has this virus to refuse to protect their neighbors."

Beshear didn't share then how the government had forced the unnamed man to stay in his home.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Kentucky coronavirus patient refused to quarantine, so police are surrounding his house to force him to

Here it comes.

A Kentucky novel coronavirus patient checked himself out of the hospital against medical advice. So to prevent him from spreading the virus, officials are surrounding his house to keep him there.
The 53-year-old man in Nelson County refused to quarantine himself after testing positive for Covid-19, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said.

Nelson County officials "forced an isolation" on the man, one of the first 20 confirmed Covid-19 cases in the state.

"It's a step I hoped that I'd never have to take," Beshear said in a conference on Saturday. "But I can't allow one person who we know has this virus to refuse to protect their neighbors."

Beshear didn't share then how the government had forced the unnamed man to stay in his home.
Wow. This entire situation has shown me the true ugliness in mankind. People are so selfish and self absorbed. i get that everyone is worrying about themselves and their loved ones, but the extremes people go to. Hoarding everything for themselves. Not caring if they spread the virus.

More than worrying about the virus, i am worrying about humans, and how low we have fallen as a society. I feel saddened.

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most all stores are closed here, restaurants are take-out or delivery only. My son who is in another state is supposed to get married next month; I just suggested to him that he take his wonderful bride-to-be to the courthouse and get married by a Justice of the Peace before the courthouse where he is starts closing some of the offices, like the one in my county has done. Have another ceremony and a reception when this is over. Lots of plans will change during this but there will be some interesting stories that come out of it, too.

I heard about that guy in KY. He is unbelievably selfish. But I LOVE the videos coming out from Italy which show everyone singing on their balconies! No wonder so many operas came from there!

And this was a couple of pages back, but I make bread too. Sourdough; it just takes flour, water, and time. And a little salt to make it taste better. I have dough for two loaves rising right now.