Corona Virus Now Spreading

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When the virus hit the US I thought it might get really bad so I started buying extra food then. Not much but a little each time I went to the store. By the way, I am NOT hoarding toilet paper! :) I think we are set for a few weeks now and I have made sure I have enough pet food. and litter. I picked up 2 40 pound bags yesterday just as a precaution since I hadn't thought about that early on.
That’s me. Mostly done by last week. I picked up a little more catfood yesterday and some perishables but didn’t venture near the crazy zones of the store. Now I working on turning some of what I have bought into precooked meals.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I see people saying that people are getting so much TP because they need a 30 day supply.

There is no way people are going to use the amounts of toilet paper they are getting in 30 days. As my sister-in-law said, the only way they would is if they have some serious digestive issues. I'm sure that isn't the case with most of the mass-buyers. Even if they have a big family they don't need this much. There ARE lots of ads on FB marketplace though that have people selling these types of things at a pretty high cost.

I'm thankful my subscribe and save order from Amazon was able to be filled. I have a feeling a couple days later, I would have been told it was out of stock. I was literally watching out my window the day it was being delivered to make sure no one stole it.

ece361b7eaf1856cd71bd39da6990b2a.jpg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got home this morning and took my two little bags of food in and put that away. I will often leave things like the toilet paper in the car and just bring it in the next time I come back from somewhere in the car. With all the craziness I went back out to the car to get the toilet paper.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got our first and ONLY confirmed case in my city - population of over 160,000, last week. As far as I know we do not have any others....at least they have not been announced yet.
I went for my normal weekly groceries last night, usually I go on the weekend, but after what was being reported to me by people throughout the day, I decided to go at the least busy time, which is Fridays around the dinner hour.
There was NO milk, cream, bread, toilet paper, eggs, flour, bananas, apples, (and some other fruit and veggies), disinfecting wipes and other similar products. And the stock for many other items like canned goods, pasta, rice, soups, stock, frozen goods and pre-made meals, meat and many others were pretty limited.
I was able to get the LAST bag of bagels! :yess: LOL! (NOT stocking up, I eat bagels regularly and needed some.) And was able to get the last two boxes (of 12 cans) of the canned food my cats eat.

The poor cashiers were miserable, probably from getting flack from all the stupid customers. I tried to cheer up mine and made some jokes and be nice. Close to the end of the scanning she wasn't "throwing" my groceries anymore...

The thing is, some of the stuff I stock up on normally was on sale, so I (AS USUAL) got a few extra...I felt like an idiot, even though I'm not hoarding due to this virus.
My sister said she's embarrassed right now because she needs toilet paper but doesn't want to go buy any (if she can even find some:rolleyes3:) I've been getting those remarks from others as well. I made the joke to some that I have a bag of old t-shirts that I've been meaning to throw out / or cut up for rags that I could sell them for a reasonable price if they would like some reusable/washable poop rags. Although I may need to keep them for myself if this keeps up.

The line up for our Costco was all the way out the building and down the length of the sidewalk of the mall complex (the Costco is at the end of a strip-mall). I didn't go, a friend of mine showed me a video she recorded.
A co-worker went to do some groceries at my local grocery store before her shift and said it was just as busy as it usually is on Christmas eve....on a Friday morning at 9 AM!

I got word from someone who works at Shopper's Drug mart, that they are putting a set amount of stock out for the day and will not restock until the overnight crew does it at night. I think my grocery store is doing the same. At least that way (if you're there early enough, there will always be stock of certain items that people are trying to hoard. Some items also have limits on them for how many you can buy. But then you run into the possibility of people lining up outside the store before it even opens....like at Costco...
IDK...this is so sad.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve heard stores are out of things here but I haven’t seen too much hysteria yet at least when I’ve gone. I went to Hyvee yesterday to get meds for my dog (and admittedly some monster cookies 😆) and I expected it to be awful but it was pretty reasonable. But there were some cashiers talking about horrible customers they’ve had.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
This store thing totally reminds me of "Aftermath: Population Explosion". If you like apocalyptic/dystopian docu-dramas, you can find this on Youtube. Seriously the store part is spot on, even if it's for different reasons. For instances, one of the things I remember from this was that people standards for buying produce was significantly lowered. Going by how I and other people were at the store last night, this was so true. Things that would normally be tossed were being bought up by people.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's a small organic market near my house that is still fully stocked on food and now toilet paper. They are expensive due to it being a small store, so not many people will be targeting it since everyone wants to buy in bulk. But if sht continues to hit the fan that's where we'll be shopping.

I hope the prediction is true and it's gone quick as it came because this is getting ridiculous...

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've just bought two large (20ltr) bags of cat litter, but mostly because I always get two if the shop have them, as occasionally they can't get it for a while, which has always been the case.

I just really don't understand the current hysterics and the loo roll thing.

There are now 1140 cases in the UK according to BBC news :

This is the Public Health England dashboard but it's updated a day in arrears I think, so it's still showing as 797 cases:

I may do some extra shopping when we get a confirmed positive case in Somerset - I'm not aware of any currently - but I don't intend to go mad. I was in Lidl yesterday and Tesco earlier in the week and stocks of most things seemed to be pretty normal.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This morning I wasn't out of TP but I was at the point where I normally buy it so I was glad they still had some. I got just one pack though. Six of those jumbo rolls will last me at least two months. By then the stores should be back to normal. All of this hoarding which then causes other people to go without is ridiculous. Saner voices are trying to break through. Two week supply of food and essentials is all that is needed.