Corona Virus Now Spreading

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Oh and I just read Gov. Polis is closing down the ski areas for one week. Discouraging people from flying, going through the airport, gathering in the ski town restaurants, residents heading to ski towns.
That's smart. I live in southern Germany, which has been hit hard (1,250 cases, 3 deaths in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg as of yesterday). The majority of the confirmed infections here have been traced to northern Italy (South Tyrol) and to a lesser extent Austria, where people went skiing during winter break.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He Has 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer and Nowhere to Sell Them

I love this. This guy went around and bought up all the hand sanitizer around where he lives. When it ran out everywhere else he proceeded to try to sell it on Amazon at a ridiculous price and Amazon suspended him. In the article he tried to justify it. After the article was published he is now looking into donating it.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have two cases in my town, and six possible ones a few miles over in the next town. My BIL arrived to stay overnight after attending a wargaming concention (great, a large crowd). He just thinks the virus is only a "bad cold" and that "it's propaganda". As soon as he leaves, I'm am using Dettol to disinfect the guest room, the linens (you can use it in the wash), and anything surfaces he could have touched. I've been asking DH to wash his hands properly as soon as he comes in the door after work, shopping, etc. He doesn't do it properly, and doesn't seem to care if he gets me sick. I always get respiratory stuff, so I'm concerned. There will be no one to take care of me if I get sick. Lysol spray is my new best friend. I do all handles, knobs, keypads, etc. every night before bed. My place of employment has closed for two weeks, but I still get paid. Our governor has requested that we don't leave home unless we absolutely have to. DH is still working, though. He went to Giant and Wegmans this morning, and said that the stores are being re-stocked, and they have toilet paper. However, Wegmans have temporarily shortened their hours in order to clean and re-stock, and have a large list of items that will only be sold in limited quantities:
Limited-Purchase Items
Due to limited supply and high demand, we have implemented purchase limits on certain items. We apologize in advance if these items are out of stock.
Baby
Baby Wipes – limit 2
Baby Medication – limit 3
Diapers – limit 2

Bakery
Packaged Breads & Rolls – limit 2

Cleaning Supplies

Bleach, Laundry Boosters & Pre-treaters – limit 1
Household Cleaners – limit 2

Dairy
Eggs – limit 2
Milk, Buttermilk & Milk Substitutes – limit 2

Frozen
Frozen Vegetables – limit 4

Grocery
Boxed Cereal – limit 2
Canned & Packaged Fruit – limit 2
Canned Meat & Beans – limit 2
Canned Seafood – limit 4
Canned Vegetables – limit 4
Flour or Corn Meal – limit 1
Hot Cereal – limit 2
Juices – limit 2
Packaged Dinners & Entrees – limit 4
Packaged Milk – limit 2
Packaged Pasta – limit 4
Pasta Sauce – limit 4
Peanut & Other Nut Butters – limit 2
Rice – limit 2
Soups – limit 4
Sugar, Sugar Substitutes & Corn Syrup – limit 1
Health & Wellness
Allergy Medications – limit 2
Anti-Bacterial Hand Soaps – limit 2
Blood Pressure Monitors, Health Trackers, Thermometers, Vaporizers, and Humidifiers – limit 1
Cold & Sinus Items – limit 3
Cotton Balls, Pads & Swabs – limit 2
Feminine Hygiene Items – limit 3
First Aid Items – limit 3
Hand Sanitizers – limit 2
Herbal Supplements – limit 2
Homeopathic Items – limit 2
Incontinence Items – limit 3
Mouthwash – limit 2
Nutritional Meal Replacements (bars, shakes, powders) – limit 2
Pain Relief Items – limit 3
Shaving Items – limit 2
Sports Medicine Items – limit 2
Stomach Relief Items – limit 2
Toothpaste – limit 1
Vitamins – limit 3

Meat
Family Pack Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – limit 2
Family Pack Ground Beef, 80% Lean – limit 2

Paper Products
Bath Tissue – limit 2
Facial Tissue – limit 1
Paper Towels – limit 2
There surely can't be anything left that isn't limited on that list?? That seems to cover just about everything!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love this. This guy went around and bought up all the hand sanitizer around where he lives. When it ran out everywhere else he proceeded to try to sell it on Amazon at a ridiculous price and Amazon suspended him. In the article he tried to justify it. After the article was published he is now looking into donating it.
You know what's funny is that if had not tried to sell them for ridiculous prices and only charged even 1 or 2 extra dollars per bottle, he would have made some decent money and would have flown under the radar being able to sell all his product.
Not that I agree with what he was doing or anything, Karma will get you every time...

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When a country goes into 'lockdown' and all shops etc are shut except for food and vital supplies, what's going to happen to all the businesses? They'll be going bust in droves. It's not just the smaller concerns either. I heard on the news that some national chains will go under.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I found this from the site I visit for updates on the virus.....THIS is what bother me about this whole thing....
"Details have emerged regarding the latest 2 cases in Kauai: a couple who had traveled from Indiana arriving in Maui on March 2. Shortly after their arrival, one of the visitors developed a fever, shortness of breath and cough and went to an urgent care facility. On March 7, the second visitor also developed symptoms and went to urgent care. A day later, both of the visitors flew to Kauai, staying at the Kauai Marriott, and on March 9, one of the visitors visited again an urgent care facility. Finally, on March 12, the two informed health care workers that they’d had close contact with an individual who had tested positive for coronavirus. 2 health care workers in Maui and 1 in Kauai are now in self-isolation because they were not wearing protective equipment"
1) they traveled - which is still sort of debatable depending on your destination and what not...personally, a "trip" is non-essential, so I would not go.
2) the first developed symptoms, followed by the second on the 7th - WHY did the second one not go get tested as well when the first got sick?
3) then they FLEW to another destination!
4) went to urgent care AGAIN!
5) they KNEW they had contact with someone who tested positive THE WHOLE TIME but failed to mention it until after a week of symptoms and traveling! And not to mention they left for their trip KNOWING they had been exposed (showing symptoms or not, you don't go on vacation - that's selfish)

I know most people who get this will be fine or just have a "bad cold/flu" - but just look at China and Italy (and other Countries that are climbing with numbers), we have to stagger/slow the spread of this so as to not overwhelm the healthcare system. I don't understand why people don't understand this. Even if most will be fine..the faster it spreads the more resources will be needed, that we just don't have.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two cases in my town, and six possible ones a few miles over in the next town. My BIL arrived to stay overnight after attending a wargaming concention (great, a large crowd). He just thinks the virus is only a "bad cold" and that "it's propaganda". As soon as he leaves, I'm am using Dettol to disinfect the guest room, the linens (you can use it in the wash), and anything surfaces he could have touched. I've been asking DH to wash his hands properly as soon as he comes in the door after work, shopping, etc. He doesn't do it properly, and doesn't seem to care if he gets me sick. I always get respiratory stuff, so I'm concerned. There will be no one to take care of me if I get sick. Lysol spray is my new best friend. I do all handles, knobs, keypads, etc. every night before bed. My place of employment has closed for two weeks, but I still get paid. Our governor has requested that we don't leave home unless we absolutely have to. DH is still working, though. He went to Giant and Wegmans this morning, and said that the stores are being re-stocked, and they have toilet paper. However, Wegmans have temporarily shortened their hours in order to clean and re-stock, and have a large list of items that will only be sold in limited quantities:
Limited-Purchase Items
Due to limited supply and high demand, we have implemented purchase limits on certain items. We apologize in advance if these items are out of stock.
Baby
Baby Wipes – limit 2
Baby Medication – limit 3
Diapers – limit 2

Bakery
Packaged Breads & Rolls – limit 2

Cleaning Supplies

Bleach, Laundry Boosters & Pre-treaters – limit 1
Household Cleaners – limit 2

Dairy
Eggs – limit 2
Milk, Buttermilk & Milk Substitutes – limit 2

Frozen
Frozen Vegetables – limit 4

Grocery
Boxed Cereal – limit 2
Canned & Packaged Fruit – limit 2
Canned Meat & Beans – limit 2
Canned Seafood – limit 4
Canned Vegetables – limit 4
Flour or Corn Meal – limit 1
Hot Cereal – limit 2
Juices – limit 2
Packaged Dinners & Entrees – limit 4
Packaged Milk – limit 2
Packaged Pasta – limit 4
Pasta Sauce – limit 4
Peanut & Other Nut Butters – limit 2
Rice – limit 2
Soups – limit 4
Sugar, Sugar Substitutes & Corn Syrup – limit 1
Health & Wellness
Allergy Medications – limit 2
Anti-Bacterial Hand Soaps – limit 2
Blood Pressure Monitors, Health Trackers, Thermometers, Vaporizers, and Humidifiers – limit 1
Cold & Sinus Items – limit 3
Cotton Balls, Pads & Swabs – limit 2
Feminine Hygiene Items – limit 3
First Aid Items – limit 3
Hand Sanitizers – limit 2
Herbal Supplements – limit 2
Homeopathic Items – limit 2
Incontinence Items – limit 3
Mouthwash – limit 2
Nutritional Meal Replacements (bars, shakes, powders) – limit 2
Pain Relief Items – limit 3
Shaving Items – limit 2
Sports Medicine Items – limit 2
Stomach Relief Items – limit 2
Toothpaste – limit 1
Vitamins – limit 3

Meat
Family Pack Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – limit 2
Family Pack Ground Beef, 80% Lean – limit 2

Paper Products
Bath Tissue – limit 2
Facial Tissue – limit 1
Paper Towels – limit 2
The stores will restock over the next week and I think stores will be back to normal by next weekend. This kind of frenzied buying will burn out soon. People will either finally get stocked up enough and come to their senses or people will simply run out of money.
Each country has to find their own way of handling it. Viruses run a course, they peak and then subside. When they peak enough people have been exposed, the effects of herd immunity kicks in and they begin subsiding. The issue in many countries including the U.S. is the number of people who become to ill to stay at home and let it run it's course and not having the hospital capacity for the number of patients needing care. That is why they talk about flattening the curve. By limiting exposure thru social distancing and people who can working from home they are hoping to avoid that peak. It will take longer to reach that point where herd immunity kicks in but critically ill people won't overwhelm the health care system. In the absence of a vaccine or an effective treatment this is really all that can be done.

People really need to get a grip with this panic buying though. Packing stores is not social distancing and stripping store shelves for no good reason is breeding panic.
I think the above three posts are really important to read -- they give you a sense of the types of things to think about in shaping your own mindsets and in knowing your own neighborhoods.

Also, I think local grocery stores that give you such lists are doing a great thing as they let the public have a sense of both the demand of items, and the quickness of their turnover or supply chain (so that you can both prepare but, also, you can think of others, if you're so inclined). That is, for certain items, if I need something that is either "rare" or needed within a week or so, I buy it maybe at the maximum amount, but if I am just "stocking up" for a general, longer time-period, I buy less than the store's maximum because I wish to think of the person after me buying things --or needing things-- just in a normal course of their day.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so just for fun. I did an approximate calculation of how much toilet paper we go thru in a given week.
I can do this because I know how much I use "per visit", how often I visit the bathroom on average. :paperbag: , and approximately how often I end up using it instead of facial tissue to blow my nose. I know my husband doesn't or rarely uses any for #1, but of course he will for #2 so I gave him "my numbers" for that.

So according to my calculations we use approximately 245 individual squares of TP in an average week (more if it's my "lady time", or if I use a sheet for a makeup smear or something, but whatever)
I just checked the packages of TP I have in the house right now, and on one it states it contains 256 sheets per roll (it's a "double roll"), and the other (it's also a double or triple roll) has 283 sheets per roll.
So even if I am generous an over estimate how much we use, say 300 sheets per week, I still only have to use one and a quarter roll a week.
So a package of 12 rolls (of a double roll) SHOULD last about 8 weeks if I'm careful and don't use it willy nilly. So let's overestimate even more, and say a 12 pack should last 6 weeks........
And even if my TP packages were NOT double rolls and I divide that in 2, that still puts me at 3 weeks for a package of 12 single roll TP. We are a household of 2 people, so I get that those with more people will need more, but still....
So to those who are buying up hundreds of rolls of TP.....:rolleyes3: :hmmm: :doh:

Anyway, food for thought......I'm just trying to procrastinate some actual work I need to do around the house... :lol::paperbag:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm starting to see all the conspiracy theories floating around on facebook. Apparently Obama and Bill Gates created the virus or something.

It's so weird that I'm not going to church this morning. My priest put up a youtube video with a prayer and some comforting thoughts and it was just really weird to see my priest on youtube.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the first time I have gotten the Mega rolls they are 340 sheets per roll. I only got that kind because it was all they had and it was time for me to buy it again anyway. I know I will get at least 2 months out of that pack of 6. I had actually avoided buying them because when they first came out I read that they wouldn't fit on some holders because they were too big. I guess when I finish the last roll that I have of the other kind I will find out if they fit or not. If they don't that will just be a minor annoyance but I will know to not buy them again.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I found this from the site I visit for updates on the virus.....THIS is what bother me about this whole thing....
"Details have emerged regarding the latest 2 cases in Kauai: a couple who had traveled from Indiana arriving in Maui on March 2. Shortly after their arrival, one of the visitors developed a fever, shortness of breath and cough and went to an urgent care facility. On March 7, the second visitor also developed symptoms and went to urgent care. A day later, both of the visitors flew to Kauai, staying at the Kauai Marriott, and on March 9, one of the visitors visited again an urgent care facility. Finally, on March 12, the two informed health care workers that they’d had close contact with an individual who had tested positive for coronavirus. 2 health care workers in Maui and 1 in Kauai are now in self-isolation because they were not wearing protective equipment"
1) they traveled - which is still sort of debatable depending on your destination and what not...personally, a "trip" is non-essential, so I would not go.
2) the first developed symptoms, followed by the second on the 7th - WHY did the second one not go get tested as well when the first got sick?
3) then they FLEW to another destination!
4) went to urgent care AGAIN!
5) they KNEW they had contact with someone who tested positive THE WHOLE TIME but failed to mention it until after a week of symptoms and traveling! And not to mention they left for their trip KNOWING they had been exposed (showing symptoms or not, you don't go on vacation - that's selfish)

I know most people who get this will be fine or just have a "bad cold/flu" - but just look at China and Italy (and other Countries that are climbing with numbers), we have to stagger/slow the spread of this so as to not overwhelm the healthcare system. I don't understand why people don't understand this. Even if most will be fine..the faster it spreads the more resources will be needed, that we just don't have.
images.jpeg

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone heard if there are talks about closing the Canada US border? Either from Trump or Trudeau?
It seems like only certain airports are allowed to accept certain international flights. And they often specify flights from Europe and Asia are restricted or are told to self isolate upon returning. But there are no specifics (that I can find) that CLEARLY state what measures or bans are being taken with international travel between Canada and the US, other than to simply "monitor yourself for 14 days", and "if you develop symptoms, isolate yourself". We (Canada) have had several new cases over the last few days where by those infected ONLY traveled to the US....
My boss (and family) is currently in Florida, they left on Friday, and will be there for about a week. She is one who thinks....oh it's just a bad cold....as well as has her own little conspiracy theory that she believes (I won't get into details about that :rolleyes3: ) Anyway, self isolation, it seems, is only a suggestion here in Canada and I can guarantee that she will come back to work upon her arrival, so it would be sort of a bitter sweet karma/I told you so if they implement mandatory self isolation or even a ban in the next week before she returns. Don't get me wrong, I love my boss, we are good friends and I would hate if her or any of her family members got sick. I am NOT wishing that AT ALL. It's just that we disagree on the whole "non-essential travel" thing, and to be honest, I am concerned of her contracting the virus and possibly introducing it to my work place. Not only for my well-being but also our clients.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm starting to see all the conspiracy theories floating around on facebook. Apparently Obama and Bill Gates created the virus or something.

It's so weird that I'm not going to church this morning. My priest put up a youtube video with a prayer and some comforting thoughts and it was just really weird to see my priest on youtube.
No one is going to my mom's church either. 90% of the congregation consist of adults over the age of 65 and most of then all have underlying health conditions.

I'm really scared because people are saying the virus hasn't peaked yet and 30 - 70% of the Canadian population could be affected. My house is small, God forbid something is to happen, how do I avoid all contact with my dad? We only have one bathroom and our bedrooms are super close to each other.

I also noticed that my depression and anxiety gets much worse when I can't leave the house. I can't go to school anymore so what else am I supposed to do. I haven't even gotten out of bed yet.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I am now officially a paper towel hoarder. I had to run to Target today to pick up soda and Tylenol for my mom and while checking out I saw that they had an eight pack of Bounty in the shop back area. So I asked the clerk if it was okay to purchase and she said fine. I do have paper towels at home but have been shocked with how quickly they are going with wiping down so many things several times a day as I don’t have wipes, just spray disinfectant and paper towels. I am bringing a few to my mom along with disinfectant spray though.