Corona Virus Now Spreading

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I visited someone at a rehabilitation home today. He said that they were discouraging visitors, but come ahead. When I got there, I had to sign in and attest that I had not been out of the country, and not had certain symptoms in the last two weeks. But today they announced two cases of COVID- in town and that may change things.

I don't know how deadly this will be. I hope not too bad. But the economic impact is already massive. All the trade shows, concerts, sporting events and travel plans cancelled will affect many businesses. I think we should be prepared for an economic downturn.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toilet paper, bleach, paper towels, tissues, disinfectant, and bread are all gone. Hex, there are fewer than 2,000 people in the village, many are Amish or Mennonite, and a good majority think that the virus is a Leftist hoax. I would think that the ones thinking it is a hoax would not be stocking up. In the next town over, everything is gone too. Even Lowes was out of toilet paper. We already have at least a month's worth on hand, so we do not plan on buying any at the moment, but we did get some extra foodstuff just in case. Nothing near hoarding, though!

As for our pets, I just lucked out at the surplus store (kind of) near us. I bought six flats of 24-cans of Blue Buffalo pate for $9 each and seven 40 lbs boxes of Clump and Seal cat litter for $15 each. I already have at least a month's worth of wet food, dry food, and litter on hand. That includes a month's worth for our indoor cats and the ferals we feed. I may go back and get more litter. The food was the last of what they had, but they have a lot more litter for $15. That is nearly half off the regular price, so it will be very helpful. I typically donate some to the shelter, so this will be a cheaper way to do it!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys think this could be bad enough that we should buy stuff for our pets? I home cook for my cats. Just need ustew and chicken.
I don't want to give into panic. But do want to make sure essentials don't run out. I don't think stores will close. But it feels so uncertain.
I went out and got all my meats for making pet food today. It was at about that time anyway, but I got a bit more than my norm. I expect meat prices to go up soon.

The business center Costco is usually pretty sleepy, but not today! If you wanted a cart, you had to go out into the parking lot and catch someone putting their stuff away... which I did. I actually caught an older couple who had 2 carts of water. I helped them load it in exchange for the carts. Took one for myself, then passed the other on to someone else I saw searching. When I came out, there was a lady who immediately attached herself to me for my cart. She helped me load my stuff, and off she went... hopefully to pay it forward.

...the economic impact is already massive. All the trade shows, concerts, sporting events and travel plans cancelled will affect many businesses. I think we should be prepared for an economic downturn.
My Hubby's business is based around conventions. He's lost 4 gigs already, with nothing in sight for the coming months/year. We have many colleagues in the same boat. Our town revolves around tourism and entertainment. We are going to be punched hard by this... again. Our town was the last to recover from the '08 housing crisis and recession, I expect the fallout from this to be nearly as bad.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited by a moderator:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewy's still delivers and of course, Amazon does too. I was surprised that the pet section wasn't plundered very badly. People were buying the 20-lb packages, though.
I wonder if people consider once opened, keeping pet food fresh enough for a picky cat is a challenge. Last summer Hima stopped eating from the same package after about 2 months. And it was in an air-tight container. 20-lb packages only make sense to me if there are several cats in the same house or if they feed street/feral cats so the food won't last long.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if people consider once opened, keeping pet food fresh enough for a picky cat is a challenge. Last summer Hima stopped eating from the same package after about 2 months. And it was in an air-tight container. 20-lb packages only make sense to me if there are several cats in the same house or if they feed street/feral cats so the food won't last long.
You can immediately break down a large bag into small portions, vacuum seal them, put the small bags into an air-tight container/bag, and store that in the freezer.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys think this could be bad enough that we should buy stuff for our pets? I home cook for my cats. Just need ustew and chicken.

I don't want to give into panic. But do want to make sure essentials don't run out. I don't think stores will close. But it feels so uncertain.

Note: Miami Dade college is going remote. Except for staff still working on campus. Classes are cancelled while teachers figure out how to go remote. Looks like MDC freaked out. There was a visitor on the medical campus that tested positive.
My college has canceled summer abroad trips already.

Not sure what will happen to the pet supply, but I just saw that some stores that are 24 hours, like Walmart, may limit their store hours, so not sure if any would close down fully if needed in the future... I myself have over 6 months of canned food and litter stocked up, but we'll see how much I can transport when traveling to Illinois this weekend. My mom has already offered to order some food and litter, if needed, because she knows car space will be limited with 3 huge cat carriers... Going to try to bring enough litter and food for two months, but we'll see how much can fit in my car! This has been something I've been thinking about, too...

Never hurts to make sure you have a couple month supplies of pets food.

Didn't see this coming...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5495736

People in my program are concerned because our studies aren't something you can do online. Colleges and Universities are still open and running but some are closing indefinitely and some are banning school sanctioned trips out of country.

I would also like to add that I'm also very concerned because my 66 year old father has quite a few serious health issues and is on 7 different medications. His heart is not in good shape and I'm scared of getting sick and bringing anything home. He wouldn't be okay if that were to happen (God forbid).
I've heard that from a lot of people. There are also many science lab classes that require a certain amount of in person lab classes to pass/qualify.

Sending positive vibes to your father. I worry about my mom as she is in her 60's, too, which different medical and medications. Washing hands is the best prevention, so make sure to be diligent and wash hands before or right after coming home and being around your father. <3

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Note: Miami Dade college is going remote. Except for staff still working on campus. Classes are cancelled while teachers figure out how to go remote. Looks like MDC freaked out. There was a visitor on the medical campus that tested positive.
I think none of us can be sure what is the best route because we don't know what will happen next. Based on the situation right now, in my opinion it's a good idea to have two months of worth of food for cats as they are picky eaters but that's all. Especially if their food, like my Hima's, are imported. I'm deeply concerned how all these will affect trade. Her Italian treats are already out of stock, not a big problem but... Her dry food comes from Canada, her one wet food comes from Germany, her other wet food comes from I don't know where but it's Purina basically. I also get Purina One for the street cats.

If I lived in a big USA city since the US produces a lot of pet foods, I wouldn't stock up much and keep an eye and ear on other pet humans online. I fear stocking up might lead to some animals not finding food. Not everyone's budget can afford stocking up and they might not find any food when they get their next paycheck :-(

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
An interesting article in my local paper this morning that the University if MN medical center will be trying a few medications to see if they prevent C-19 infection, one of which is the blood pressure medication Losartan. Should that actually work I am likely to be ok since I take a buttload if it

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise

In your position I would purchase a supply of commercial canned catfood as emergency backup. The cats might not want to eat it at first but most healthy cats will eat whatever is offered if they get hungry enough.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My campus is apparently not closing down; they are keeping students home for the next week then doing classes online but the entire campus is not closed yet. We are supposed to decide for ourselves if we want to telework.

I'm waiting to see what my boss has to say about it; one of my supervisors is not worried at all. He thinks that everyone should just get sick and build immunity that way. I'm a little frustrated with that take, especially because he's in his 50s himself and has parents that are in their 80s and in poor health. I wonder if he'd sing the same tune if they were to get ill? I know panic is not a good thing but after seeing some of the stuff happening in Europe I'm a bit concerned.

IT guy says I'll be getting a work laptop on Tuesday so I can work remotely more easily at that point, but if things get worse before then I can use my own computer.

I have parents in their 60s who are generally in good health, but I worry for them. The past few years I've also had the habit of getting a simple cold and having it turn into pneumonia so I'm a little concerned on that front too.

There's talk that maybe Trump has been exposed to it; I can't help but think if he did test positive that maybe people would stop saying it's all just a media hoax.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So now that I'm wfh every day until the end of the month or beyond...I decided to do an actual set up at home instead of working on the couch everyday. The keyboard is on my lap. I love wfh with my kitties...the black one kept whining at me to cuddle because he's used to me working on the couch when I do wfh. So I improvised and put a memory foam topper in front of the monitor for him. Seems pretty comfy!

20200313_112016.jpg

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems a majority of the colleges and universities in Ontario have moved to online classes. I don't have in-person class for the rest of the semester.

Everyone here is panicking. Store shelves are being emptied and everyone is freaking out. We haven't had time to do regular grocery shopping. My friend and I are going to Walmart to see if we can get cat food just in case. She's also giving me her left overs because she's leaving campus and doesn't want them to spoil.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The past few years I've also had the habit of getting a simple cold and having it turn into pneumonia so I'm a little concerned on that front too.
Yes, this. While my I've not had asthma symptoms for over a year and do not take an everyday control medication anymore... it seems whenever I get even a cold, I have to take my inhaler. Sometimes it lingers and I have to start taking the everyday medicine for a while. My inhaler is also expired with only a few doses, but hoping I can see a doctor when back in Illinois, even to just get an inhaler refill, just in case it is ever needed.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think none of us can be sure what is the best route because we don't know what will happen next. Based on the situation right now, in my opinion it's a good idea to have two months of worth of food for cats as they are picky eaters but that's all. Especially if their food, like my Hima's, are imported. I'm deeply concerned how all these will affect trade. Her Italian treats are already out of stock, not a big problem but... Her dry food comes from Canada, her one wet food comes from Germany, her other wet food comes from I don't know where but it's Purina basically. I also get Purina One for the street cats.

If I lived in a big USA city since the US produces a lot of pet foods, I wouldn't stock up much and keep an eye and ear on other pet humans online. I fear stocking up might lead to some animals not finding food. Not everyone's budget can afford stocking up and they might not find any food when they get their next paycheck :-(
Awww, that's true, that didn't occur to me. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you!

In your position I would purchase a supply of commercial canned catfood as emergency backup. The cats might not want to eat it at first but most healthy cats will eat whatever is offered if they get hungry enough.
I do have some canned food I bought during the last hurricane scare. That will last only 2 weeks though.
But I have 2 months worth of frozen meat.

I just purchased more ustew just in case.