Corona Virus Now Spreading

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems like lots of universities are going the online route. My school is just having a vacation week next week to give professors time to convert their classes online.

Right now, student residences and dining halls and the health center are open. My boss has pointed out that many students are probably back already and going to spend next week in the bar district. We’ll see if they close any of that stuff down.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
If I cancel my doctor and dentist appointment, when should I reschedule them for? April or May? How long is this Corona Virus going to last? I need to call soon, doctor is 17th, dentist is 25th.
I had a dental appointment this morning. The hygienist wore a mask and gloves so I’m not worried. I just made sure not to touch anything (I’ve been carrying paper towels to open doors), spritzed with hand sanitizer, and washed my hands thoroughly when I got home. And the whole time I was driving there and back, I was saying to myself, “Don’t touch your face, don’t touch your face, don’t touch your face. :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We just received our invitation for Grandparents' Day with our granddaughter. Our son just called and told us not to worry about going down. He thinks that, by that time, the school will be shut down and the kids will be home.

I had to run down to the store for milk. This is what I found in my local store in central PA and we don't even have any virus cases....yet:

Disinfectant wipes aisle (See those two packages? I bought one, just ONE, of them)
2020DisinfectantWipes.jpg

Toilet paper aisle (Didn't buy any because we don't need any)
2020ToiletPaper.jpg

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just increased my contribution a bit for my next pay period. So wont be in effect until end of this month. It should be worse by then I'm guessing.
Yah, we still have to make our contribution as well... I'm sitting here thinking, how long can I hold out before I have to dump my hard earned cash into this other pile of @#!$

(I’ve been carrying paper towels to open doors), spritzed with hand sanitizer, and washed my hands thoroughly when I got home. And the whole time I was driving there and back, I was saying to myself, “Don’t touch your face, don’t touch your face, don’t touch your face. :)
I went to a few different grocery stores today, shopping for my meats to make my pet food; Asian Market, Mexican Market, Butcher, Costco... I took a cue from my old restaurant days, soaked a cloth with soapy bleach water, wrung it out, and carried it in a ziplock baggie in my purse. I used it to wipe the carts and my hands regularly. Still made me double take when I heard someone coughing in the next aisle over at Costco. Could have been allergies, the pollen count is very high, and my hubby is sniffling because of it.

Speaking of hubby, you know, the social butterfly who is susceptible to bronchitis.... he's just informed me that this week's "guys night out" is going to be at a friend's house for a hot tub party. This makes me nervous. All those guys have kids, kids have germs, one of those guys likes to smoke cigars... any germs that any of those guys have are going to be floating around in that hot tub steam. My only consolation is that hopefully there will be enough chlorine in the tub to mitigate the risk. grrrrr.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The grocery store was jammed today, and I heard two different conversations from moms saying they were stocking up for college students coming home. There were some shortages, especially the expected ones - hand cleaners, tp, kleenex. But there was some odd ones, too. They were almost out of Claussen pickles. Pickles? Do we need to hoard pickles? There was tons of fresh fruit, but the canned fruit shelf was almost empty. Really? Apples and oranges keep a long time in the fridge. Cantaloupes were 99 cents, but people were buying canned mangoes.

I just bought my usual stuff except for cough medicine, which I didn't have any of, a few extra ramen packages, and extra cat food.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just got back from the grocery store. Canned goods were definitely lower then normal in all areas. No paper towels or toilet paper. The one that kind of surprised me (but probably shouldn't have) was there were no instant ramen packets left.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys think this could be bad enough that we should buy stuff for our pets? I home cook for my cats. Just need ustew and chicken.

I don't want to give into panic. But do want to make sure essentials don't run out. I don't think stores will close. But it feels so uncertain.

Note: Miami Dade college is going remote. Except for staff still working on campus. Classes are cancelled while teachers figure out how to go remote. Looks like MDC freaked out. There was a visitor on the medical campus that tested positive.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys think this could be bad enough that we should buy stuff for our pets? I home cook for my cats. Just need ustew and chicken.

I don't want to give into panic. But do want to make sure essentials don't run out. I don't think stores will close. But it feels so uncertain.
I always have a lot of cat food on hand. It's nice to have one less thing to worry about and take up space in my head. :)

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't see this coming...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5495736

People in my program are concerned because our studies aren't something you can do online. Colleges and Universities are still open and running but some are closing indefinitely and some are banning school sanctioned trips out of country.

I would also like to add that I'm also very concerned because my 66 year old father has quite a few serious health issues and is on 7 different medications. His heart is not in good shape and I'm scared of getting sick and bringing anything home. He wouldn't be okay if that were to happen (God forbid).

Last edited:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always have a lot of cat food on hand. It's nice to have one less thing to worry about and take up space in my head. :)
I guess I can grind up extra chicken
Recently did enough for 2 months, but i can make more if anything. Might buy more ustew just in case. Smaller businesses can be affected as we've seen. 😔

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I can grind up extra chicken
Recently did enough for 2 months, but i can make more if anything. Might buy more ustew just in case. Smaller businesses can be affected as we've seen. 😔
Same. Thanks to trying to minimize shipping costs per pound I had ordered a lot of Turkey and rabbit from Hare Today previously. Stocked up on boneless chicken thighs from costco. Have alnutrin, individual supplements and eggshell calcium on hand!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The schools in my city are shut down, indefinitely.

They are working on plans to somehow feed the needy kids and possibly do some on line classes.

Surrounding cities are closed also.

My apartment building, senior housing; has put restrictions: visitors limited to adults- suggest only one.. visitors and workers much be cleared with the desk. They get a green sticky ID. All parties, all activities, exercise classes, etc are cancelled. The library, computer room, coffee shop and dining room are closed. They will deliver meals to apartments.

Any home care workers must be cleared at desk.

They are asking us to limit our outside travels to just essentials: doctors, grocery store, pharmacy.

Asking all incoming People use the Main door for entrance.

They are daily monitoring the staff.

One hospital in Boston is rescheduling all non emergent appointments and elective surgery. I have an appointment on Monday. I am Waikato hear back from my doctor to see if I really need to come in.

This is getting bad.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is prudent for all of us to stock up for our pets' needs, in case movement is restricted to control virus spread. I think we can expect that efforts will be made to provide food for people who are quarantined or in a "containment zone" -- for example I was just reading about how the National Guard is delivering groceries to people in the "containment zone" in New Rochelle -- but this wouldn't necessarily include food for pets.