Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So this article explains much better what the goal is with the efforts of containment.
[/URL]

The fact is that the health care system can only take care of so many people. This a known factor. When there are too many in need and no way to treat them then things get much worse very fast. So the idea is to slow the infection down enough so that people can get treated, cured, released and then be ready for the next ones. They call it "flattening the curve". It is an effort to keep the number of sick people low enough to allow all to be treated. Ultimately it will not stop the virus but it will make it much more survivable because treatment will be available rather than stacking people up on cots in parking lots. So this is what "containment" is all about. Slow it down until it either dies out or an effective treatment is discovered. It doesn't matter that most people handle it with no problem, I think its like 80 %. What matters is that it is slowed down, like a forest fire being dampened down, so it doesn't overwhelm everything and people then die in the chaos.
I went through a Billing and Coding course about 8 years ago. We had to do a paper ever month and I did one on the Flu Pandemic in 2018 and the Bird Flu. That is a looming issue with a pandemic of serious health issues. We simply do not have the capacity in our health care system. I found statistics on the number of people in this country that could be on a ventilator at the same time and it is grim. Decisions would have to be made on who lives and who dies on the basis of available beds and ventilators.

This does not seem to be as virulent as the Spanish Flu pandemic was for most people.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This does not seem to be as virulent as the Spanish Flu pandemic was for most people.
I just hope what happened then doesn't happen now. The Spanish flu had a relatively mild phase, followed by a very deadly phase.

My brother is a student at WVU. All on-campus classes are canceled until further notice, to be replaced by online classes. He also works on one of the university's farms. WVU has essentially forbidden him from leaving Morgantown-if he does, he'll lose his job.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Several colleges in Ohio have done that including OSU. The NBA suspended the rest of the season and March Madness games are being played without fans, that is getting a lot of people's attention about this. That is really all we can do because there is no vaccine or treatment.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're going to have to be very careful of email scams, but I wanted to contribute here that really good businesses that you deal with in your every day lives will be starting to contact you (in their trusted, normal ways) to let you know, very transparently, what they are doing themselves to help contain transmission of the virus at their workplaces and they will also be encouraging you how to take personal responsibility to learn how to contain any transmission or to have good hygiene on your own. We've already have communications from my husband's workplace, our local grocery chain, my husband's gym, and so forth. It's good to follow instructions and updates from the CDC or your local health departments, too.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my university is closing to students as well. I'm not sure if they're planning on closing down the campus fully or not, but a lot of people are home today testing their ability to telework (which is silly because most of my office regularly teleworks anyway).

I finally got a message from EatStreet saying that we should read delivery directions carefully, under the assumption that people are going to actually put in there if they are ill. Also, we can leave the food at the door and then call the person if we want to. If we get real cases in my town though I'm going to just not work there for awhile because I'm guessing a LOT of people will be ordering, but it has been my experience that when people can't drive (mostly due to bad weather) they'll order a lot of food to be delivered but for some reason think it's okay to not tip.

EDIT: Just heard from my boss that we are going to be closing on Monday and that today and tomorrow we are going to be focused on setting up to work from home.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I work from home about half the time. I could work from home more but it is slower then in the office. They have remote employees on a separate server which is slower then the one that office people work on. I also have some printing that I have to do which has to be done in the office. I do medical billing so they have to meet security requirements with patient information.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More Canadian news today. The Junos (Canadian music awards) has been cancelled last minute, there will be no provincial election in Saskatchewan in the spring, and prime minister Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie Grégoire Trudeau are in self-isolation after Sophie was tested for coronavirus.

I just came back from the grocery store. Not much toilet paper on the shelves, no hand sanitizer to be seen anywhere, and the hand soap shelves are looking pretty bare. :doh:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not quite yet, the market which was way over priced to begin with won’t probably bottom out until we start to get a bit of good news about the virus.
I've just increased my contribution a bit for my next pay period. So wont be in effect until end of this month. It should be worse by then I'm guessing.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Governor Dewine has mandated school closing for 3 weeks beginning at end of class on 3/16/2020, two weeks in conjunction with the one week for spring break. He is leaving it up to schools as far as online or remote classes, that means wealthier schools will still be in school, poorer schools won't be. He has also banned public gatherings of more then 100 people.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just received an email from my school. They're trying to decide whether or not to cancel on-campus classes as well. This wouldn't affect me since I'm now in an online program, but I don't know what the nursing and medical assistant students will do without their hands-on classes.

They're also advising all students with externships at medical sites to try to limit contact with possible COVID-19 cases. I'm starting mine at my local hospital next month, but since it's for coding, I won't have direct interaction with patients.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Governor Dewine has mandated school closing for 3 weeks beginning at end of class on 3/16/2020, two weeks in conjunction with the one week for spring break. He is leaving it up to schools as far as online or remote classes, that means wealthier schools will still be in school, poorer schools won't be. He has also banned public gatherings of more then 100 people.
It's interesting how this outbreak is pointing out income equality. Who can afford to stock up on food all at once and who can only afford to buy what they usually do; who is going to suffer when their kids can't have school meals; who has access to online learning + schools who can offer it + parents who are able to monitor their children to make sure they do work and don't need too much help. To say nothing of who has insurance vs. those who don't.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The March Madness College basketball tournament has been cancelled. They were going to play with no fans but they have now cancelled. Broadway has shut down. A lot of people out of work. The stock market has had it's worst week since 1987. That includes the banking crisis. The Federal Reserve tried putting money into the market to shore it up. There was a short lived uptick then it started down again.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's interesting how this outbreak is pointing out income equality. Who can afford to stock up on food all at once and who can only afford to buy what they usually do; who is going to suffer when their kids can't have school meals; who has access to online learning + schools who can offer it + parents who are able to monitor their children to make sure they do work and don't need too much help. To say nothing of who has insurance vs. those who don't.
Also, there are students who are worried about where they will go or how to afford food if colleges and universities close. A buddy on facebook was posting about this and how she works two jobs in the area she attends school, and if she is not allowed to stay in college housing, how she's not sure how this will work for her because she needs money to live. Some students may not have a home to go back to, and there are also international studies with no relatives in the U.S.. Also, if cafeterias, etc. close, how will students gain access to food?

My school has not closed yet, but from the e-mail they sent out, it sounds like the wellness center with the school nurse is closed. Students who do not have insurance in this area could go to the school nurse and get a "prescription" that would get them discounted rates to see a doctor at the office right next to school. What will happen now? Trying to figure out what they will offer to students. We technically pay for the wellness services with fees we pay to the school, so.... My school has not closed, and my insurance does not work in this state... If I get sick, it would be a two day drive back "home." Kinda hoping my school goes to online classes so I'd have the option to head back to the state my insurance works, just in case it is needed.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
As a pet sitter I can say things are really hard right now. This is usually my second busiest time of the year coming up, and one by one, people are cancelling. Some on their own, some because it was cancelled for them. Plus some other oddball situations that resulted in them simply not needing my services (for instance, client's daughter's university closed down and everyone was told to go back home if they lived on campus - so she'll be taking care of the kitty now).

Craziness, and trying not to freak out too much.