Corona Virus Now Spreading

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a neat little way to tell. If your 2nd shot is 3 weeks after your first, it's Pfizer. If it's 4 weeks after, it's Moderna. If you don't have a second one, it's J&J.
For me, they didn't set up the second appointment until I got to the first. So no way to know in advance. And of course they handed out the info packets when I got there so by the time we made the next appointment I knew it was Pfizer. I'm not sure even the clinics know very far in advance which vaccine they'll get at this point.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
For me, they didn't set up the second appointment until I got to the first. So no way to know in advance. And of course they handed out the info packets when I got there so by the time we made the next appointment I knew it was Pfizer. I'm not sure even the clinics know very far in advance which vaccine they'll get at this point.
Ohio must be different then. They wouldn't let me schedule my 1st unless there was a 2nd open either 3 or 4 weeks away and then you scheduled both at the same time.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Probably depends on the clinic/pharmacy too.

The one I went to is the big clinic in Sioux Falls. They had at least 12 people giving vaccines, and they were offering appointments every 5 minutes online. And it wasn't a special event so they must be doing that all day every day! I can't imagine the level of planning this has taken.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husband and I got our first shots today, two different places so he got the Moderna and I got the Pfizer. He said his was a huge needle, mine was unnoticeable. He's the one afraid of needles of course but at least he didn't run right out the door at the sight.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio must be different then. They wouldn't let me schedule my 1st unless there was a 2nd open either 3 or 4 weeks away and then you scheduled both at the same time.
I had to make appointments at the same time. Several times I got the first appointment and there wasn't a second appointment so it was start over again. It took me several days to get appointments, I think it is better now. They are also having the mass vaccination events now which helps.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the Pfizer part I. Everyone who was vaccinated at the Main Campus of the Cleveland Clinic had Pfizer.
I had mine at a CC Facility in Bath. Nicole worked at a CC facility. CC bought the practice about five years ago.
Her ex-coworkers had Moderna. I liked having it there because I was across the hall from the er, hee, hee

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It will be two weeks since my second shot this coming Wednesday. I guess that means I will then be fully vaccinated. One thing I have noticed with this last rise in cases it seems it is much tamer then the past surges. I think getting people who are older, have serious underlying conditions and people at greatest risk of exposure vaccinated is having a positive effect.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my second dose of Moderna on the 14th. (at Walmart) My husband gets his second dose on the 7th. (VA) All our family is fully vaccinated now except for the grandson. So it does ease a little of the tension.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
It will be two weeks since my second shot this coming Wednesday. I guess that means I will then be fully vaccinated. One thing I have noticed with this last rise in cases it seems it is much tamer then the past surges. I think getting people who are older, have serious underlying conditions and people at greatest risk of exposure vaccinated is having a positive effect.
You had Moderna, yeah?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
i will admit, by having the full vaccine, it does give a sense of freedom.. a lot of anxiety is not present.. It is a sense of security; perhaps false security?

We have to remember NOT to let our guard down.. There are a lot of variations of the virus out there.. and it is still mutating.. So we have to still be diligent.. We have to..

In Massachusetts, they cases are climbing.. younger people, it seems... from the low thousands in February, it is now in the 2300+ and climbing...
The dominant strain in this state is the UK variant...

Just saw in the news.. The Pfizer vaccine will provide protection for at least 6 months... yelp, hard swallow.... We still have to be careful.....

For myself: I am debating about attending Easter Sunday Mass.. I did attend Palm Sunday.. I really did not feel all that comfortable.. The church tried, as well as they could, to social distance... it worked, people were not huddled together, every other pew closed off.. hand sanitizers at the entrances, took name and telephone number upon entry to church.. did a temp check.. ushers came down and told you when it was time for your pew to receive communion... I know they have a sanitizer gun... do not know how often they use it.. It should be after each mass... The church was half full....

Despite all these safety concerns, I still ran across an elderly man who had his mask down!! I was really upset... instead of reporting him, I just said, "Sweetie, you know, you really need to keep that mask up..." He said, " yeah, I know.." I said, " I am a stickler for masks" He replied, " I know, you were after me last week.. ".. I said, "it was not me. I have not been to Mass in over a year".. He said, "then it must be another woman who looks exactly like you"....
People have no sense at all.... I just shook my head... Why Why Why!!!

Still not sure about Easter morning mass... I would feel like double masking.. but.. I really cannot stand double masking for over an hour and a half, inside there... That is brutal.. I do use a KN95 mask... I got them from Amazon, with a supposedly European Union Code number.. Who knows??

Just be careful...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I have noticed with this last rise in cases it seems it is much tamer then the past surges.
Unfortunately, our latest surge has been worse than the others. It seems like it's mostly the variant (UK) that is circulating and we have more younger people in the hospital and ICU this time. The news stated that the average was around the 50 year old mark, some being even younger. Our active cases are the highest they have ever been, and the daily case counts are also the highest they have ever been. We're back in another lockdown due to the increased pressure on our ICUs...:( Although not a very strict one....I wouldn't want to be a politician right now....you can't do anything right, no matter how hard you try.
The ones with the highest number of positive results are in the 20 to 39 age group, and the 19 and under and 40 to 59 group share second place. Hardly any new 80 plus are testing positive which is fantastic, and only a small amount of 60 to 79 are testing positive. I'm hoping that means the vaccine is working. With the school closure (it started I think 3 weeks ago) the 19 and under positives are slowing down...but with the closures, that means no more asymptomatic testing in the schools...so it could still be the same...we just don't know it.
I really hope the J&J vaccine starts circulation in my area soon...That's the one I hope I get.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are new studies out showing if you are vaccinated there is an almost 90% chance of NOT carrying anything, even the varients. Much better then regular flu vaccines. It makes sense, why bother vaccinating against anything if you can still spread it. I have never heard of a person vaccinated against small pox, measles., etc.spreading it. I suppose it may not work for everybody but the chances are almost nonexistent.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet...
But studies are showing that obesity is showing to be a much greater risk than they thought. Obesity has always been a risk factor, but I think that most people figured it was due to the fact that obesity (at least in adults) tends to also come with other underlying conditions like diabetes or "pre" diabetes, cardiovascular issues, etc... But even being a "healthy" obese person - one who has not developed any secondary issues - just being obese on it's own is showing to be a greater risk factor to serious disease/symptoms/complications than they originally thought.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be team J&J next Thursday! I haven't gone back through the thread, but has anyone elae gotten that one? I hope there will be antibodies in my breastmilk. I heard they were there for Pfizer and Moderna.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be team J&J next Thursday!
Yay!

The grocery store pharmacy said on Facebook that they have a bunch of J&J to be administered and not a lot of appointments, so they wanted more people to come in on Saturday. Boo. I should have waited just a little longer. Oh well.

I think most vaccines cause antibodies to be transferred in breastmilk. That's kind of what breastmilk does. . .transfers the mother's beneficial bacteria and antibodies and all that good stuff to the baby. But maybe ask your baby doctor to see what a professional thinks.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my second dose of Moderna a couple of days ago, and the injection site was so painful I took some naproxen for a day or two. Then I read that 85% of people on Moderna reported this reaction. The site swelled and was red as well. The article I read said taking a pain reliever reduced the effectiveness of the vaccine, but the ones mentioned didn't include naproxen. I hope naproxen doesn't have an effect, but I couldn't stand the pain - I could barely move my arm.