Corona Virus Now Spreading

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my parents have told me to steer clear of SD
Probably a good idea! Nobody is taking it seriously here :/.
You DON'T want to know how that phone conversation went.
Lol, it's kind of entertaining to imagine :D.

My niece and nephew have chosen online academy, fortunately they're in Sioux Falls now so that option was offered. I don't think most small towns are offering that option. They aren't social kids and don't belong to any clubs or sports teams so that's probably best for them.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I booked my vacation for the end of September/beginning of October. I feel slightly hypocritical because I have been hardcore judging all the people on my Facebook feed who have been taking vacations but I'm also not going to the lake with 20 people or to a populated town. I found a cute little cabin in Colorado where I will essentially have 70 acres to play around with my pup, and a national forest nearby where we can do some hiking as well if we can find some trails that aren't super busy. Colorado recommends a 14 day quarantine when you arrive in the state, but I'm not planning on going anywhere except quick stops for gas - I'm bringing all my own food as well. I just hope the wildfires don't make it down there, and that they can get them under control.

My best friend who lives in South Dakota really wants me to come visit her, and her and her boyfriend are going to the hills at the end of September and wanted me to come along. I can't anymore because the only time I could rent this cabin overlaps that time, but honestly, my parents have told me to steer clear of SD so I don't think it would have been well received on their end if I went anyway. I feel insanely guilty but I guess it is what it is.
Great time of year to visit! Really cool nights and nice days. I have to not open my windows and use my fans at night now because I wake up with really a smokey smell in my house from the fires. I'm in the Denver area. We are downward trending here now with cases. Luckily.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Carry a little spray bottle of water and spray on your finger when trying to open up those bags.

Yea I worked at a time that you went to work and if you were on your death bed you'd bring the bed with you. I'm talking minor stuff though that isn't contagious like migraines and all. That's how my stomach got messed up as I lived on ibuprofren in order to function. I would never go into work if I had something that others could catch.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You DON'T want to know how that phone conversation went.
Sure I do, I've always enjoyed hearing about idiot school administrators getting reamed to the point they could use their nether regions as a parking garage.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great time of year to visit! Really cool nights and nice days. I have to not open my windows and use my fans at night now because I wake up with really a smokey smell in my house from the fires. I'm in the Denver area. We are downward trending here now with cases. Luckily.
I'm going to be down by Mesa Verde. I'm a Kansan and very accustomed to burning pasture, so the smokey smell doesn't bother me as long as the fires aren't too close for comfort!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be down by Mesa Verde. I'm a Kansan and very accustomed to burning pasture, so the smokey smell doesn't bother me as long as the fires aren't too close for comfort!
Hopefully by then there will be none! It's a lovely place. Sounds like a wonderful trip! I've been Mesa Verde park probably 30 years ago.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
it's great when you spend some time in deserted places :) we can and all our life :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol. That reads like a comedy article, but I'm not sure if professors of Biomedical Informatics ought to try to be funny :tongue:. But at least we're always wearing butt masks. . .well, most of us. Nudists beware!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People will not accept that things cannot go back to the way they were before for a long time. This sort of thing has happened time after time. When places open up indoor dining and bars there is a spike, it is like clockwork everywhere that it has been done. We have bar owners here going to court because a 10 p.m. curfew has been put on bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. They tried to get an emergency stay on the curfew but were denied, the judge told them they had little chance of winning so he wouldn't grant their request for a stay. People who can work from home will need to continue to work from home. School is not going to look like it did before until maybe this time next year. Crowded restaurants and bars will have to be a thing of the past for at least another year. The sooner people accept that the better.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really sucks for people who were planning on getting married this year to either downsize or postpone, but that's apparently what happens when you don't. I mean, I'm pretty sad about more than likely not having a baby shower, but it's a lot better than if I did and someone got really ill or died because of it. We all have to make sacrifices to get through this.

If people would just wear masks things would be under a lot better control, but so many won't even follow that small thing.

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I missed my son's wedding this past weekend because it was out of state in St. Louis, I have a sinus infection and my doctor said it was REALLY not a good idea to fly out there and mingle with people from all over (west coast, NC, MO, and who knows where else) even if I wasn't fighting this. They actually got married in April with basically no one around because of the quarantine, but they still wanted to have a ceremony. I don't think there were very many people there, which sadly is a good thing. I wish they had waited and made it a one year anniversary celebration to be safe. Of course, who knows what will be going on by next spring.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my cousins have postponed their weddings. One was supposed to be married in June and the other just a couple of weeks ago. The one who was to be married in June, I'm not sure what she's doing (I don't see that part of the family very often), but the one from this August, will be getting married in August, next year. Their disappointed, but their OK with it all. As far as I know they have been able to get their deposits back, and anything they have already bought (decorations, dress etc...) they will still want to use. Unfortunately, the cousin who was going to be married in June did lose some money because she already sent out invitations, but the one from August, was able to cancel her order for invitations just in time.

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your cousins. At least one cancelled in time. My son lost money, at least for invitations for April. Then they sent them out for August, and when it didn't look promising, I think they just decided to go through with it anyway since they paid for the venue. So many broken dreams from this disease.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I missed my son's wedding this past weekend because it was out of state in St. Louis, I have a sinus infection and my doctor said it was REALLY not a good idea to fly out there and mingle with people from all over (west coast, NC, MO, and who knows where else) even if I wasn't fighting this. They actually got married in April with basically no one around because of the quarantine, but they still wanted to have a ceremony. I don't think there were very many people there, which sadly is a good thing. I wish they had waited and made it a one year anniversary celebration to be safe. Of course, who knows what will be going on by next spring.
Best to your son and his new bride, and hope their marriage is and remains strong and happy, along with their and your physical health.

Bummer to not have a big wedding, but you can always have a party later. Maybe celebrate a whole lot of things at once?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I have a friend who was supposed to get married in September. She ended up getting married in May, because neither of them wanted to be in lockdown alone (and, religiously speaking, would not live together without being married), and also because they "heard that it might be hard to get a marriage license later" ;). Her immediate family did attend the small outdoor wedding, and everybody else watched it on Zoom. It was nice but being able to attend would have been nicer.

I don't think she was planning a full wedding with meals and everything, but I'm sure they still saved a ton of money. That's fine with me; I don't care for the wedding industrial complex at all.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know a lot of people are missing out on those milestone events. Weddings, showers, birthday parties and the sad times, funerals and wakes. For many traditional families a baby christening is a big deal. The baby wasn't taken out and other then grandparents no one in the family saw the baby until the christening. There would be a big family gathering and the rest of the family would get to see the baby for the first time. It is so unfortunate that it is like this but it has to be probably until there is an effective vaccine and a majority of people have been vaccinated.