Corona Virus Now Spreading

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to pick up some paper towels today at Target. Toilet paper galore in all the different brands but not a pack of paper towels to be found.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stores here have plenty of name brand toilet paper and some brands are available as single rolls. I bought a giant pack of a name brand at BJs over the weekend. Usually I get the 40 roll pack but the largest size pack available had 32 rolls and it cost the exact same as the 40 rolls :rolleyes:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have nine and twelve packs of both name brand and store brand I believe. I haven't tried to buy anything smaller (I usually go for a twelve pack) so it'll last a while.

What I did have trouble finding last time was toilet bowl cleaner. All the clorox and lysol and good ones were gone and I had to buy an off brand that I guess works okay, but was not preferred.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I doubt there are going to be more shortages of paper products or disinfectants due to hoarding. It's now clear that smear infections aren't as common as first feared. There's no way governments will be able to impose national lockdowns again, though we'll probably see shorter localized ones, i.e., at a neighborhood, city or county level.

Air purifiers and filters for them are another matter, though. As more activities move indoors with colder weather and leaving windows open most of the time isn't an option, more households, offices, small stores or restaurants will be using them.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a good cache of disinfectants, hand sanitizers and hand soap. The hand sanitizer and hand soap is always abundant now. Disinfectants are still spotty but not impossible. There is usually some on the shelf at the store I go to, if something like wipes aren't there one week then they are there the next week. Lysol spray is still the one that will go for weeks at a time with none there. I am good on all of that though. I bought a three pack of the wipes a bit ago and that gave me enough of a stash that I am comfortable with what I have now.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been wearing a cloth mask that my friend made for me - I have a couple of N95s that my dad had on hand before all of this and I was able to shove one of those in there as a filter. It's definitely stuffy but hopefully effective.

I can't find Lysol spray or wipes anywhere, no off brand either. I had someone tell me Dollar Tree might have some, so I'll have to check. I ended up making my own out of hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol but of course both of those things were nearly impossible to find as well.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
For years, I’ve used a DIY leave-on shower spray to help control mildew in the shower. But it requires isopropyl alcohol, and we all know that went the way of the dodo. So I switched to a leave-on spray by Method that I really liked and another one called Clean Shower. Those have now gone extinct as well. Why are people suddenly buying and hoarding shower spray?? :dunno:

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For years, I’ve used a DIY leave-on shower spray to help control mildew in the shower. But it requires isopropyl alcohol, and we all know that went the way of the dodo. So I switched to a leave-on spray by Method that I really liked and another one called Clean Shower. Those have now gone extinct as well. Why are people suddenly buying and hoarding shower spray?? :dunno:
They might think they can use it instead of Lysol?

I finally was able to find isopropyl alochol in Walgreens, but it took a lot of hunting. They had a limit of one per customer, which is probably why they still had some. Apparently you can also use a strong alcohol like Everclear, which I was totally willing to do, but am glad I found the other as it is considerably cheaper :lol:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I finally was able to find isopropyl alochol in Walgreens
It’s a case of being in the right place at the right time for some of these things. I always detour down the first aid aisle at the store every week hoping I’ll get lucky and find the isopropyl alcohol. I did get some hydrogen peroxide that way a couple of weeks ago—another of the ingredients for my DIY spray—and haven’t seen it on the shelves since.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I always hit the disinfectant aisle and see what they have (funny thing---Walmart has blanked out the "disinfectant" sign over that aisle, lol). Once I got lucky and they had 2-packs of Clorox wipes, but only that one time. I managed to get a bottle of Fantastik multi-purpose disinfectant yesterday. And I got a bottle of Clorox cleaner on Saturday but it smells like bleach :/. I don't like bleach smell and I'm prone to ruining my clothes so I try not to use bleach, but I didn't read the label well enough. I'll use it up, I just have to be extra careful.

My favorite TP is Sam's Club store brand, but they haven't had that when I was there for a long time. I don't NEED any right now so I don't mind yet, but if I see they have any in stock I'm definitely going to grab a pack. Walmart seems fairly well stocked on TP. Costco always has a lot of paper towels.

So basically, around here, most people can find everything they need, just not necessarily all in one place or their preferred brands.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Why are people suddenly buying and hoarding shower spray?? :dunno:
Perhaps hoarding isn't causing the problem, but production capacities. The demand for disinfectants is so high that manufacturers might have shifted some of their resources from making household products supplied to retailers in order to fill bulk orders for disinfectants from business customers like hotel and restaurant chains, factories, corporate offices, and hospitals. :dunno: Our nephew is an engineer working for a major producer of cleaning equipment and says they've had to make big production line changes and retrain some factory workers and sales personnel.

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of cleaning or paper products here, but it's noticeable that there's now a bigger supply of store brands (sometimes of inconsistent quality) than of name brands.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know increased disinfecting throughout the day is part of the deal with businesses now. I have been able to get everything that I wanted it just wasn't always on the shelve the day I looked for it but it would often be there the next week. The only exception is the Lysol spray I don't know what the deal is with that. I have some in reserve though, it just took longer to get it then anything else.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that the selection of paper towels is pretty low on most visits. This past weekend all they had was huge packs of Bounty. TP is pretty easy to find, and there is always a selection. As for cleaning supplies, there is plenty, except for wipes and Lysol sprays. Most places I've gone do have alcohol and hand sanitizer. Our stores still have limits on wipes.
Thankfully, I have plenty of cleaning/disinfecting products as well as TP and facial tissue. I do need to start getting some paper towels though, but I'm not paying almost 30 dollars for those jumbo packs of Bounty. Hopefully they will have a better selection next time I do groceries, or at least have a decent sale soon.
Are your stores still putting things on sale at all? Usually there is at least one brand/type of TP and facial tissue on sale and there was (according to the sticker on the shelf) one type of paper towel on sale...they just didn't have any left when I went.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not think they are manufacturing Lysol Spray to the general public. I saw the CEO of Lysol and Clorox on TV. They said that they are focusing on healthcare institutions.

Occasionally, you can find Clorox wipes, but they are limited, and the price has increased dramatically. It is supply and demand.

Paper towels is in short supply. It is incredible how shortages are going. Before, it was TP~ so everyone stocked up.. now it is PT... ridiculous. All they seem to have available are the late packs of PT...

I am ok for cleaning supplies. I was able to grab some Lemon Lysol cleaner and a different cleaner, Odoban, as I saw it. I think I am ok.

Since I live in a tiny apartment, I have kept some things in the trunk of my car. Now, I am just replacing what I daily use. As I use something, I put it on the list and grab.. no overstocking.

Right now I use a ton of tissues, allergies. The Scotties extra soft, has not been around for a couple of months. Strange..

It seems it is easy to pick up hand sanitizer. There is a lot of it around. Handy Wipes, I use for cleaning. They are non hesitant. A lot of people use them for cleaning. They come in handy if you do not have any rags.

Who knows what the winter season will hold. That is the unknown. For me, I have always been and over-stocker. Moving to a tiny place cause me to cut back dramatically. Covid, rekindled the over stocker in me. Now, I have to keep reminding myself that I do have enough. What makes it worse is that for 7 weeks the entire building was quarantined.. We all had to stay in our apartments.. Yes, for 7 weeks. Everything was done for us... grocery shopping was tuff. They did have a couple fo volunteers to do it, for those who really needed things; but you could not do it a real shopping.

I ended up resorting to InstaCart. They are pretty expensive.. and a lot of things I use that were not available. This is why I am stocking up on stuff...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that nobody really knows what they're doing and everybody is just learning as they go, but the response often doesn't make any sense.

A co-worker's kid was told that somebody he sits next to in one class (and is on his football team) tested positive, so they sent him home from school with 2 weeks' worth of homework and told him to self-quarantine. The rest of the football team was not told to quarantine. The kid's parents both work at the school and are not quarantining. His sister is not quarantining. Only one kid who sits next to him in one class? Very odd.

And my brother's girlfriend says one of her co-workers claims to have tested positive, so they had to close the store for an afternoon to disinfect thoroughly. But they've gotten no confirmation of her positive test from any official source, and are starting to get suspicious that she just wanted a couple weeks off. Now I know the doctors can't confirm this info due to HIPAA, but doesn't the Health Department get involved? Ugh, the incompetence is getting old.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't have much trouble with the wipes, every other week it seems like they have either the Clorox or Lysol wipes. Occasionally they have the store brand, I see those less often then the Clorox or Lysol probably because of the difference in price. The Lysol spray is a different story though. It took me a good 3 months to get a little of that put back. I got a big pack of Bounty paper towels because that was all they had and I was running low. There are only 8 rolls but they are humongous, I don't think they will even fit in my holder. The roll will probably end up sitting on top of the refrigerator until it is small enough to fit in the holder.

Schools are still online, I don't know about the colleges. It seems like anytime they open up something more than is already open there is a spike. I think this will continue until there is a vaccine and enough people are vaccinated. This stuff is just so contagious and it has that long period with no symptoms. The mask mandate and the 10 p.m. curfew on bars and restaurants serving liquor has started bringing down the numbers here in Ohio. Both the new cases and the positivity rate is coming down.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t know whether this is local or national but we are overflowing with toilet paper and out of paper towels. I had a pack of the Bounty (real) big rolls that is almost gone. I really liked them although I had sort of stuff each roll onto the roll holder. It was nice not to have to change the roll so often.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plenty of both toilet paper and paper towels and tissues of all brands here at the supermarket and BJs. There's no limit at the supermarket. Not sure about BJs. Store brand disinfectant wipes are hit or miss at the supermarket. I have 6 containers so I think I'm good for awhile. I always look for hand soap and hand sanitizer at the supermarket. If I see SoftSoap hand soap or Mrs. Meyer's hand soap or sanitizer, I'll grab some.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A co-worker's kid was told that somebody he sits next to in one class (and is on his football team) tested positive, so they sent him home from school with 2 weeks' worth of homework and told him to self-quarantine. The rest of the football team was not told to quarantine. The kid's parents both work at the school and are not quarantining. His sister is not quarantining. Only one kid who sits next to him in one class? Very odd.
The rest of the football team got sent home yesterday because 3 or 4 of them had fevers. I guess maybe tackling a guy is a good transmission method. . .