Corona Virus Now Spreading

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I was talking about my particular area because my local news makes it sound like thousands in my area including zip code have been infected, including the cashiers at the grocery stores I go to.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know someone who works at the supermarket that I go to tested positive this past Spring. Of course they will not get more specific then that so I don't know where in the store, what they did or when they were working. The county that I live in has had almost 20,000 cases but I don't know where the concentrations of cases have been. They have to be very careful with information. If they get too specific then it is possible for people to figure out who has tested positive. If I have been exposed the most likely place is at the supermarket. I only go into work at most one day a week and work from home the rest of the time. As far as I know no one at work has tested positive. This past week I actually worked from home the whole week.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I was talking about my particular area because my local news makes it sound like thousands in my area including zip code have been infected, including the cashiers at the grocery stores I go to.
That's because they are stating the number of ALL cases in your area. They aren't telling you how many people are currently sick and infectious. That's my point. When the media reports that 160,000 people in the US have died, that's the total - not the number that died in the past two weeks. I used the dashboard for my town as an example. If you look at it again, there is a line of gray dots for the total of cases and at the bottom, a solid blue line for cases in the past two weeks. The media usually reports the totals, or gray dotted lines, instead of current totals. That makes it a lot more frightening than it really is.

In no way am I saying this isn't a dangerous disease. It is, and we need to protect ourselves as best we can.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's because they are stating the number of ALL cases in your area. They aren't telling you how many people are currently sick and infectious. That's my point. When the media reports that 160,000 people in the US have died, that's the total - not the number that died in the past two weeks. I used the dashboard for my town as an example. If you look at it again, there is a line of gray dots for the total of cases and at the bottom, a solid blue line for cases in the past two weeks. The media usually reports the totals, or gray dotted lines, instead of current totals. That makes it a lot more frightening than it really is.

In no way am I saying this isn't a dangerous disease. It is, and we need to protect ourselves as best we can.
It's pretty frightening anyway in that it spreads so easily and a person can be asymptomatic and pass it on. I don't pay attention to how many have tested in my area, but not that many are getting tested anyway. I can't go out because people are refusing to wear masks and distance, which would make it safer. Both husband and I are in high risk category, and I have no interest in getting infected or having him get infected. I guess I'm luckier than some since I'm an introvert. I've settled in pretty good here, but it would be nice to shop for my own groceries.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. There's a report now that it's not just a respiratory illness because of the many symptoms that many people have for months. They are thinking it's a vascular disease, damaging many organs.

I'm in the high risk category, too, but I do shop for groceries.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
In Ohio they aren't required for kids under 10 but I think most kids will wear one if the parents approach it right. I know some kids are more oppositional then others but most kids will respond to some variation of the grown ups are wearing them and you are getting to be a big boy or girl. Add to that having a mask with a favorite character or animal on it and most kids will wear one without making it a huge battle. Of course I wouldn't put a mask on a baby.
I saw a young couple at the store last weekend with what looked to be close to a newborn. Tiny, tiny little person. No mask on baby, of course, which is appropriate, but would you take your new baby out into a public place full of potential virus-infected or virus-carrying people???

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My boss is asking us us to do twice weekly COVID testing instead of once a week now. I went twice this week. There was a long line out the building Monday afternoon :eek3: There was no line Thursday afternoon. I schedule my test for after work so I don't know how busy the testing area is before then. Lunch time is probably a busy time. Someone said they waited an hour to get tested because there was only one clinician available at the time to check people in and guide them through the self swab.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Masks are making me crazy. Why is it that no matter how carefully you put on your mask a piece of hair works it’s way underneath and pokes you in the eye the entire time? Or your nose starts to run and you have to sniff your way through the store. With fall allergies around the corner I may need to stuff a tissue inside my mask.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw a young couple at the store last weekend with what looked to be close to a newborn. Tiny, tiny little person. No mask on baby, of course, which is appropriate, but would you take your new baby out into a public place full of potential virus-infected or virus-carrying people???
I wouldn't unless I absolutely had to. Single parents often have no choice but a couple, I think I would make the decision that one goes to the store while one stays home with the baby.

It never fails somewhere along the line in the store I need to cough or sneeze. I didn't use to be that way. I don't know if it has something to do with the mask or I am developing allergies. I have had people move a little further away from me when I do which is actually a good thing.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Masks are making me crazy. Why is it that no matter how carefully you put on your mask a piece of hair works it’s way underneath and pokes you in the eye the entire time? Or your nose starts to run and you have to sniff your way through the store. With fall allergies around the corner I may need to stuff a tissue inside my mask.
In the grocery store, I always wet a finger to open those produce bags that come on a roll. Now I can't because of the mask, so I stand there, struggling and struggling to open the bag. It's a pain.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Me too. At Walmart they have disinfectant wipes at the entrance so now I grab one of those and use that to dampen my fingers to open the produce bags. What a pain, they should figure out something else to make them easier to open.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
DreamerRose DreamerRose , W Willowy , most groceries have heavier plastic bags meant for sweet corn that open much easier than those thin clear bags. I use them for all my produce. If your store doesn’t have them before you go to the store stick a couple pieces of transparent tape on your wrist. Stick on piece on each side of your bag and then just pull them to separate the bag.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it seems like it has been confirmed....(I'm not sure if it was still only suspicion)...that yes you can get it a second time.

Some Delhi Hospitals Seeing Covid-19 Re-emergence in Recovered Patients Causes Alarm

BUT, until they sequence the genes of a patient who has been "re-infected", they won't really know if this is a true "RE-infection", meaning the patient did not have the antibodies and got the same one, or perhaps thay got infected with a different strain.
What one doctor is saying though is that these people may just be getting sick from the same infection they had, that just didn't go away the first time...it stays dormant in a sense, but does not stay in the sputum...where you get the sample to check for if you have it. So you could test negative after being sick and your symptoms subside, but still have it because it's just not in your spit or snot anymore.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One local principal said (and was quoted on the front page of the paper) "the biggest thing parents can do to help is keep their kids home when they're sick. I know we have a tough-it-out mentality in the midwest, but we have to swallow our pride and just keep them home if they're showing any symptoms at all."

Is he serious?!? He thinks people send their kids to school when sick because they have a "tough-it-out mentality" and not because the school penalizes the child for taking sick days and calls Social Services if the kid misses more than 9 days (less than 2 weeks!) per year of school, for any reason? And the parents will lose their jobs if they take too many days to stay home with their kid! He seriously can't see that his own policies are responsible for this? I'm not sure if anybody is learning anything from this experience :/.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I booked my vacation for the end of September/beginning of October. I feel slightly hypocritical because I have been hardcore judging all the people on my Facebook feed who have been taking vacations but I'm also not going to the lake with 20 people or to a populated town. I found a cute little cabin in Colorado where I will essentially have 70 acres to play around with my pup, and a national forest nearby where we can do some hiking as well if we can find some trails that aren't super busy. Colorado recommends a 14 day quarantine when you arrive in the state, but I'm not planning on going anywhere except quick stops for gas - I'm bringing all my own food as well. I just hope the wildfires don't make it down there, and that they can get them under control.

My best friend who lives in South Dakota really wants me to come visit her, and her and her boyfriend are going to the hills at the end of September and wanted me to come along. I can't anymore because the only time I could rent this cabin overlaps that time, but honestly, my parents have told me to steer clear of SD so I don't think it would have been well received on their end if I went anyway. I feel insanely guilty but I guess it is what it is.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One local principal said (and was quoted on the front page of the paper) "the biggest thing parents can do to help is keep their kids home when they're sick. I know we have a tough-it-out mentality in the midwest, but we have to swallow our pride and just keep them home if they're showing any symptoms at all."

Is he serious?!? He thinks people send their kids to school when sick because they have a "tough-it-out mentality" and not because the school penalizes the child for taking sick days and calls Social Services if the kid misses more than 9 days (less than 2 weeks!) per year of school, for any reason? And the parents will lose their jobs if they take too many days to stay home with their kid! He seriously can't see that his own policies are responsible for this? I'm not sure if anybody is learning anything from this experience :/.
When my youngest was 7, his appendix ruptured. He was in the hospital for a week and then at home (per Dr's orders) for another week. I went to the school to get his work to make up. I had already called them prior to explain why he wasn't in school the previous week. Got a letter in the mail not too long after saying my child was facing retention for missing two weeks of school. You DON'T want to know how that phone conversation went.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not to mention a lot of parent jobs not allowing them to take off to keep their kid home. That's why we would have kids sent to school having taken tylenol to cover up a fever. And in the past I literally have had parents say to me they knew their kid was unwell, and to call their job if it got worse or the medicine wore off, because that was the only way the job would allow the parent to have that sick time - if the school called about the kid.

That said, I had a stay at home mom who sent us to school with minor illnesses because 'education was important', and we probably spread stuff around to others and I'm sure there were at least a few times we should have stayed home.