Convenia Cat Death

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for everyone who lost a cat for any reason. However, I'm seeing nothing here that indicates that it was the Convenia that made them gravely ill. Generally, a cat given an antibiotic has a problem to begin with. Maybe it needs an antibiotic and maybe the Convenia antibiotic will solve the problem. Maybe it won't, just like when people get antibiotics. Maybe it needed a different antibiotic. Then again, maybe it needs something else that is not an antibiotic, in which case the Convenia was not the answer, the cat needed something else that it didn't get.

I would love to see some actual scientific proof that Convenia is a problem. I allow my cat to get Convenia, as I cannot reliably pill her four times a day. However, I would certainly stop if there was good evidence that Convenia has issues beyond the allergy part. I get what that problem is, but my cat obviously isn't allergic to it.

Amity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone know where to go to get more information about convenia and the potential dangers (not just the pharma site)
My kitty was given convenia for suspected uti (she was peeing outside the litter box) besides the peeing she was perfectly fine, happy, hungry, and energetic. She received the shot and that evening became lethargic, stopped, eating, drinking, and playing. A few days later she died. I find it hard to believe the shot wasn't the cause. I am.just looking for piece of mind. I miss my kitty. She was only 2.

Fredthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone know where to go to get more information about convenia and the potential dangers (not just the pharma site)
My kitty was given convenia for suspected uti (she was peeing outside the litter box) besides the peeing she was perfectly fine, happy, hungry, and energetic. She received the shot and that evening became lethargic, stopped, eating, drinking, and playing. A few days later she died. I find it hard to believe the shot wasn't the cause. I am.just looking for piece of mind. I miss my kitty. She was only 2.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. Since you have found this thread, you have probably found the links to contact Zoetis and file an adverse reaction report. I know that this is probably not much consolation. If your vet will support your claim that Convenia might have been involved, it will add more evidence to your report.

As for where to go, some sites are listed here and there are many online which discuss Convenia. There is a Facebook group as well. It gets complicated as the European market in general has ascribed more adverse effects to Convenia, but you can also make a report to the FDA. Googling "Convenia adverse reactions cats" will bring you to a very large search.

#17 in this thread give the contact for Zoetis and the FDA.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry about what happened to your little girl.

I thought you might find these articles interesting; there are other similar articles as well. The last one is actually from a vet group that discusses why Covenia isn't the best drug to use despite how often vets seem to reach for it.

IMO, there may be a possibility that more cats are allergic to what is used in Covenia when compared to other antibiotics, and most data talks about the risks of using a drug that stays so long in the body.

Cat Deaths and Convenia Antibiotic: Are They Relatable? (travelingwithyourcat.com)
Cat Deaths from Convenia: Understanding the Risks | Tom Cipullo Answer
Convenia: A Long Acting Antibiotic's Dark Side | Walkerville Vet

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi A Amity and a very warm welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your lo sing your kitty. I can never find the right words when I'm speaking to people at times like this.

For a starter, there is an article by a well-known holistic Veterinarian. The piece is over ten years old now and the events she speaks about continue to repeat themselves. Here it is: Convenia: Worth the Risk?

I see that you've received some other suggestions - hope those will help.

On this site is a sub-forum/section where folks post life stories and memorials of their kitties. If there comes a time when you might like to do that, you'll find that here: Crossing the Bridge. Many members have found comfort in being able to tell their cats life story and post pictures. People also get wonderful support from the community after posting there. Meantime, remember that she would want you to take extra care of yourself now.

Amity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi A Amity and a very warm welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your lo sing your kitty. I can never find the right words when I'm speaking to people at times like this.

For a starter, there is an article by a well-known holistic Veterinarian. The piece is over ten years old now and the events she speaks about continue to repeat themselves. Here it is: Convenia: Worth the Risk?

I see that you've received some other suggestions - hope those will help.

On this site is a sub-forum/section where folks post life stories and memorials of their kitties. If there comes a time when you might like to do that, you'll find that here: Crossing the Bridge. Many members have found comfort in being able to tell their cats life story and post pictures. People also get wonderful support from the community after posting there. Meantime, remember that she would want you to take extra care of yourself now.
Thank you for the suggestion. When I feel up to it I might do that. Right now I am just devastated and trying to sense of it all.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry and I truly understand your pain. The same thing happened to my Angie in 2012. She died nine days after the shot. It’s heartbreaking for me to see people still coming to forums with the story of what happened to their cat or dog after they were given convenia, and they still are not being informed of all of the dangers of the drug. Your cat prolly did not even need to have an antibiotic and certainly not convenia.

Many Dvm use convenia automatically because one it is a money maker and two owners are attracted to it because they think it will be easier for their cats instead of taking pills and they don’t have any warnings from Dvm all of the possible dangers.

I have learned we need to do our own research before agree to new drugs for our cats or dogs. I did a necropsy at Cornell. And I have no doubt it played a role in Angie’s death. It’s highly possible to play a role in your cat’s death too. I’m so sorry. 💔