Coffee and Tea Talk - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Bill Nye the Science Guy or some other person on those Saturday morning science type shows for kids discussed why a cup / bowl of water can explode in the microwave or shortly after being heated in one. The liquid becomes quickly superheated to way past the boiling point but bubbles don't form. When the cup / whatever is removed from the microwave, the jostling action causes the bubbles to suddenly form and erupt and the water "explodes". Putting a wooden skewer or coffee stirrer into the cup can prevent the "explosion" by giving the bubbles a place to form. Also don't microwave the cup of liquid for more than a minute or two at a time. Stop and carefully stir with a spoon and then heat some more if necessary.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I got sone free vanilla oat milk from my SIL's house because they weren't going to finish it before it went bad, so I had some in my coffee this morning, and my apple jacks, and my vanilla chai tea, and some of that honey chamomile vanilla herbal tea. Might have go e a bit overboard, but it will get used!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Putting a wooden skewer or coffee stirrer into the cup can prevent the "explosion" by giving the bubbles a place to form. Also don't microwave the cup of liquid for more than a minute or two at a time. Stop and carefully stir with a spoon and then heat some more if necessary.
Maybe I forgot to stir it before I added the powder that time it erupted like a volcano. I'll be sure to stir it first from now on, before adding powder.

some of that honey chamomile vanilla herbal tea
Did the oat milk improve the tea that you didn't like much? You're probably like me, prefer black tea like chai over herbal tea. I don't think I've had vanilla oat milk yet. Price Chopper might have it, but we don't go there often in the winter.

Drinking-- 1 Cup 2% Milk, 1/4 Cup Hills Bros Classic Cappuccino. I have to use more of this cappuccino powder because it's not as sweet as the vanilla. I microwaved it for only 1 minute, 30 seconds this time, since it tried to boil over. But it was a little cold. Weird that it's boiling but not hot enough. It takes a lot of experimenting to get it right in this new microwave!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the oat milk improve the tea that you didn't like much? You're probably like me, prefer black tea like chai over herbal tea. I don't think I've had vanilla oat milk yet. Price Chopper might have it, but we don't go there often in the winter
It did! I think I do prefer black and chai teas. I like mint herbal tea, but maybe I'm just so-so on chamomile.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It did! I think I do prefer black and chai teas. I like mint herbal tea, but maybe I'm just so-so on chamomile.
Maybe because mint is a bolder flavor, it tastes better in the herbal tea.

Drinking- Half Cup Water, Half Cup Pacific Sweetened Cashew Milk, 1/4 Cup Hills Bros Classic Cappuccino. Microwaved for 2 minutes, added powder at last 30 seconds, stirred a few times.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My usual dark roast coffee with breakfast but stopped for a latte with oat milk while running errands. I decided to switch from almond milk to oat milk and think I liked it better. They use the Oatly brand which is my favorite.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to switch from almond milk to oat milk and think I liked it better. They use the Oatly brand which is my favorite.
Is the oat milk sweetened?

Finished up the Hills Bros Classic Cappuccino powder in a cup of warm 2% milk. Glad this is gone. It wasn't very sweet, so I had to use too much of it to even taste it. All the other cappuccino powders and liquid creamers I have are vanilla, so I will probably like them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still using the hazelnut creamer, and it's fine, but wish it lasted longer, so I could mix my flavours up a bit. As it is, the website says to only use it 5-7 days and I'm past a week now. So won't use it much longer. Won't be able to finish all of it either, and it was a small bottle. The suisse mocha is easier, since it's just a powder.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The suisse mocha is easier, since it's just a powder.
They do make powdered flavored creamers. But I prefer cappuccino powder. Check your local grocery stores. They might have some different flavored cappuccino and latte powders. That Suisse mocha one comes in hazelnut, Maxwell House.
1643814782570.png

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They do make powdered flavored creamers. But I prefer cappuccino powder. Check your local grocery stores. They might have some different flavored cappuccino and latte powders. That Suisse mocha one comes in hazelnut, Maxwell House.
I think there's a wider selection of flavours in the US than here in Canada, but will check the stores and see what's out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.