Coffee and Tea Talk - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought of something...You guys always talk about the pour over method. I don't know what that is. But would it taste better if I get out 2 mugs, put my cappuccino powder in one, then heat the milk/water in the other and pour on top, then stir? I use an extra little glass dish for my spoon anyway. Why not use a 2nd mug instead?
Okay, I don't know if it makes a difference or it's just one of my weird quirks, but I put my sugar in my coffee cup first and then the coffee in, because I feel like it dissolves better that way, so I would totally try that and assume it would work better. (Same if I make hot chocolate. I put the powder in the mug, and heat up water or milk on the stove and then add it on top once it's done.)

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My gf and I have been both enjoying our respective caffeinated drinks over the pandemic. She's become totally into making coffee at home and took over a whole shelf in the pantry cabinet with beans, grinders, frothers, etc for her pour over! I'm not a coffee pro (I react too strongly to coffee caffeine) but I really love the smell and occasional latte she makes for me. Our current favorite is the light roast from Blue Bottle... I already went thru a bag of those beans in 2 months which is very fast for a tea drinker like me.

I've finally started making dents in my teas as well. Since it's cold winter right now I've been going thru my pu-er teas which are deep, earthy, muddy warming flavors. When the temps go up again I can't wait to get back to drinking my Tie Guan Yin again (slightly bitter, grassy). It's been great although my dentist but disagree due to all the acidic drink intakes haha!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just thought of something...You guys always talk about the pour over method. I don't know what that is. But would it taste better if I get out 2 mugs, put my cappuccino powder in one, then heat the milk/water in the other and pour on top, then stir? I use an extra little glass dish for my spoon anyway. Why not use a 2nd mug instead?
This is the pour over method

What is Pour Over Coffee?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's more or less what I do.

First I put the spoonful of swiss mocha powder in my mug and leave it on the counter. Then I put a cup of cold water in the microwave and bring to a boil. (I use a Pyrex measuring cup) Then pour the boiling water into the mug with the swiss mocha, and stir.

When I was making the instant coffee, with the hazelnut creamer, I did the same thing, however, after adding the water to the mug with the instant coffee, I then added the creamer. The creamer does cool the coffee down a bit, but I don't like it scalding hot, so it was fine.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First I put the spoonful of swiss mocha powder in my mug and leave it on the counter. Then I put a cup of cold water in the microwave and bring to a boil. (I use a Pyrex measuring cup) Then pour the boiling water into the mug with the swiss mocha, and stir.
That's brilliant! I have that exact glass measuring cup, so I'll try it tomorrow! Brilliant 'cause I know I would have slopped it all over trying to pour one mug into the other! It will work great with the pouring spout. How long do you microwave it for?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You guys always talk about the pour over method. I don't know what that is.
Kat0121 Kat0121 gave a good link for the pour over method and I gave my own explanation awhile back here: Coffee and Tea Talk - 2022
Part of the beauty with the pour over method is pouring the water very slowly into a Melitta coffee brew cone and filter. I really think you would like it since I know you appreciate a good cup of coffee. But your idea about using two mugs may work since you are creative and like to experiment. :thumbsup:

Our current favorite is the light roast from Blue Bottle... I already went thru a bag of those beans in 2 months which is very fast for a tea drinker like me.
When my daughter lived in NY and I came to visit we'd pass by the Blue Bottle Cafe near her. It was always packed with people and their dogs sitting outside. I was curious to try it but we opted for another local favorite. However, they opened a Blue Bottle in Chicago so hopefully I can try it there.

Last edited:

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my daughter lived in NY and I came to visit we'd pass by the Blue Bottle Cafe near her. It was always packed with people and their dogs sitting outside. I was curious to try it but we opted for another local favorite. However, they opened a Blue Bottle in Chicago so hopefully I can try it there.
My gf's sister lives in NYC so we tried it on a visit. I think being crowded is just a NYC thing haha! They sell the latte in a tiny milk carton in some whole foods too.

Funny enough I'm from Chicago burbs! I remember going to a La Colombe cafe and it was packed to the brim with people like shoulder to shoulder... I finally managed to try it on a business trip to DC and it's much better than the canned ones they well in stores.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's brilliant! I have that exact glass measuring cup, so I'll try it tomorrow! Brilliant 'cause I know I would have slopped it all over trying to pour one mug into the other! It will work great with the pouring spout. How long do you microwave it for?
I like using the measuring cup, as I know it's microwave safe. That said, I'm sure it could explode if heated too long.

As for how long I microwave it, it actually changes, almost every time, I think depending on how cold the water is. But, generally, 1 cup of tap water takes about 2 minutes and 10 seconds, give or take, to come to a boil. Your microwave may be different, though, so keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
generally, 1 cup of tap water takes about 2 minutes and 10 seconds, give or take, to come to a boil.
Thanks. I did 2 minutes and it wasn't hot enough. So I'll add on the 10 seconds next time. Funny, it didn't boil over in the glass measuring cup! I still slopped it all over though, even with the pouring spout!!!

Half Cup Water, Half Cup Almond Breeze Sweetened Vanilla Almond Milk, 3TB Hills Bros French Vanilla Cappuccino Powder.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's chilly here today, so I've had 2 mochas already. Decided not to chance the creamer any longer, so guess I'm done with hazelnut for now.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the pour over method again and still slopped it all over! Guess I'll go back to the old way.

Half Cup Water, Half Cup 2% Milk, 3TB Hills Bros French Vanilla Cappuccino.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning:
TJ's Columbian K-cup with Chocolate Truffle almond/oat milk creamer...
Instant Irish Oats with a tsp of maple syrup, a dash of cinnamon, and a splash of almond milk...

It was a very good breakfast....

This afternoon---after an hour of chipping the ice off my car--in 23 degree temperature with a wind chill of 5 degrees:
Instant non dairy Hot chocolate (oatmilk) with a good splash of Zambuca (alcoholics beverage)
This has been my ritual for ams y many years, after snow shoveling... only after snow shoveling.. A reward for being out in the cold, doing it....

M maggiedemi Just thinking about your issues with the coffee not being hot enough---thinking while I was making my hot chocolate......Have you tried heating water on top of the stove?? either in a small pan or in a kettle? This way, it would stay hotter for much longer. I think microwaved foods, liquids; cool off really fast....and there is supposed to be a waiting period, after microwaving--a minute, before the food reaches full temp... it is like a microwave 'carryover' effect...

You could put the instant coffee in the cup, boil the water--yes, it takes a bit of time;
Then measure the hot water in your measuring cup, pour into your mug, mix; and then add your milk....

I really think this could solve your problems with it not being hot enough. And if you cut down on the milk a bit, it may help...

You can take the milk out when you get up, so it kind of warms up--while you are waiting for the water to boil.... This way, it will not be so cold, to add to your coffee...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried heating water on top of the stove?? either in a small pan or in a kettle? This way, it would stay hotter for much longer.
Yes, remember when our microwave was broken I had to heat it on the stove in a pan and it was a hassle. I would like to try a kettle though!

Today's coffee turned out pretty good- Half Cup Water, Half Cup 2% Milk, 1/2TB Pilon Espresso, 1/4 Cup Hills Bros French Vanilla Cappuccino. I got it hot by putting the powders in earlier. But it was really clumpy/muddy, hard to stir and tried to boil over a billion times. So I will try adding the powders half way through. I'll get it right, keep practicing. It was hot this time though! I think the powders cool it down if I put them in at the very end.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Half Cup Water, Half Cup Almond Breeze Sweetened Vanilla Almondmilk, 1/2TB Pilon Espresso, 1/4 Cup Hills Bros French Vanilla Cappuccino. Microwaved for 2 minutes, put powders in halfway through and had to stop and stir several times so it didn't boil over. Still not perfect taste, but will keep experimenting...

Status
Not open for further replies.