Cats are semi-feral and don't know how to approach them

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If you can move close or sit next to her, form your hand into a fist form and let her smell your fist. After she had done that without moving away, slowly move your fist along her face, whiskers wise to the ears. If she allows you to do that, then move your fist and pet her head from front to the start of her neck.
Using your fist is not as threatening as using your palm to her. Cats head butt and your fist looks like a head to her.

Always let her smell,your hands and let her make the first move and once she has a scent on your hand, it's easier for you.

Keep repeating till she gets use to it and move on to other parts of her body but just keep watch on her ears and eyes. If you see any change, remove your hands and try again later :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twosemiferalcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So even if the other one passed away, should I still attempt to pet him?? Will that stress him out??

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He has lost a companion and you have to help him fill the void. Keep talking to him and keep him occupied rather than let him go around looking for his companion. Try to get close to him.

Just be patience with him and the two of you must go through it together. Hopefully it doesn't take long for him to forget :grouphug2:

twosemiferalcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has lost a companion and you have to help him fill the void. Keep talking to him and keep him occupied rather than let him go around looking for his companion. Try to get close to him.

Just be patience with him and the two of you must go through it together. Hopefully it doesn't take long for him to forget :grouphug2:
You're totally right. So last night he hasn't cried or I don't think he's cried. Not as much as the past two days. I think he's starting to trust me by eating off my hand, but he's still hiding in the litterbox and I feel like I should make him come out so that I could clean it. But then again, I don't want to stress him out even more than now. Should I just go ahead and clean it anyways?? He stays in there so that he could comfort himself. He does this often. It has nothing to do with excretion or anything because he pees in the other litterbox just fine. Lol. He just poops in the one he's staying at. Maybe he comforts himself with the scent of his poop??

Anyways, thank you all for the support and lovely advice. I will post a followup.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Good to hear that he has calmed down a little. Keep doing what you are doing:clap2:

If possible, clear his litter box often so that he always have clean litter boxes. As for staying in the litter box, it is just another place for him to find comfort. So keep it clean.

twosemiferalcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have good news!

It has been about...over a week since my Stars became a real star in the heavens and Moons is doing okay! I thought he would be really sad and lethargic for a month, but he got much better after about 4 days and came out of his litterbox. He's still scared of us because he won't eat in front of us and runs away, but he came out of his litterbox and I'm so glad! He also started meowing at me (sort of...kind of did like...a......."mwah~") and opening his mouth for some reason when I play with him or give him food. I'm guessing this is a .. good thing? Not sure what it is...The other day, he also meowed at me, then hissed at me, then meowed at me...then hissed....They were right after each other. It kind of seemed like he didn't know what sound he wanted to make. So he opened his mouth and meowed and then opened his mouth again and hissed...Not sure how to explain it. He seemed pretty confused himself. Not sure what this is either...so strange. Could somebody tell me what this is???? I didn't know cats could be so strange. Maybe it's me not knowing how to communicate with cats...

Anyways. One other thing is do cats understand human language at all? Last time, Moons went into the litterbox and stayed in there for some reason and I told him I need to clean it and for him to please go hide in his hiding spot. Guess what! He came out right as soon as I got up and he walked right into his hiding spot. Could this happen or is it pure luck?

Sorry, one last thing, what should I do to be able to pet him and get closer to him? Right now, he just runs away when I get too close, and doesn't get comfortable when I play too rough with his toys. Moons used to be the less dominant one out of the two and I guess he sort of isn't used to all this stress.

Update: I'm in the living room writing this, and Moons just came out of his room and came straight up to me, looked at me and walked into his room again. WHATTTT He's never gotten THIS close to me. I would walk up to him, but he would never really walk up to me. I'm guessing it means we're getting closer and closer.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yippee! :kneading:

Very good progress. Keep it up. Love, patience and routine is the way to go.

Yes, they do understand human language to an extend as not in the actual words itself but more to the tone and action. That's why it's important to keep talking to your cats. Don't be surprised if they answer you and hold conversations with you, in their meow lsnhiof course :lol:

twosemiferalcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yippee! :kneading:

Very good progress. Keep it up. Love, patience and routine is the way to go.

Yes, they do understand human language to an extend as not in the actual words itself but more to the tone and action. That's why it's important to keep talking to your cats. Don't be surprised if they answer you and hold conversations with you, in their meow lsnhiof course :lol:

Thank you so much for your encouragements. I wouldn't have done anything without your words. It was a tough time and Moons went through a lot, but he's doing much better and getting much closer. Still, I'm not able to pet him because I cannot get too close to him, but I'm glad he's out of his litterbox and socializing with us.

Thank you once again for your kind words!

twosemiferalcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG. I'm about to die. Do you guys know what Moons did just now?! He was running all over the place and then suddenly rubbed against the floor and purred. He then came up to me, smelled me and rolled on the floor. Then he came up to my hand and head butted my hand!! I pet him for a little while and he LOVED it. Purred the entire time. I don't know why he's so happy today! What did we do?! So glad he's better than okay!

You know. I do have a little secret. So I've been putting armpit smells on my cat's toys and his bed and stuff. And today, when I swiped my armpit with my hand, he came over, smelled it and rolled on the floor. I guess....it was my armpit. LOL!!!!!!!! No need for expensive feliway! Get your sweaty armpits and get them on your cat!! They love it LOLLLLL

twosemiferalcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol.......:flail:......brand new discovery for cat nips :crackup:

Very very good progress with roll over. Exposing her belly means she trust you completely! :cutecat::kneading:
Yeah! He doesn't really have a preferance for catnip either. I never thought I had such fine smelling armpits. XD