Cats are semi-feral and don't know how to approach them

twosemiferalcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My husband and I have recently adopted two 8month old brothers and they are semi-feral. One is very hissy and the other one gets freightened easily.

We have gotten them about 3 weeks ago and they still hide underneath the bed. They never really come to us except for that one time when it was late at night and we were sleeping, and both of them decided to hop onto our bed to sleep. One of them slept on my legs and the other right beneath my husband. Then, the turner he is, my huband accidentally kicked one off the bed and both ended up going out and never came back up.

That was the only physical contact we were blessed with, unfortunately.

When we look online, some say to just ignore them until they come to us and some say to forcefully pet them little by little. I'm not sure which is right. Also, they were trapped and neutered at the age of 4 months. So I'm not sure why they are still afraid of humans.

We're just afraid that if we ignore them, then they'll never feel comfortable with us forever and always hide. I hope there are more successful stories.

I would be thankful to hear some of your stories and what you did to socialize your kitties. Also, could you share some stories about when visitors came over? How do you socialize cats with humans?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello twosemiferalcat, welcome to TCS :wavey:

Thank you for adopting these two kitties :clap:

Since you've only got them just 3 weeks ago, they need time to adjust to the surroundings and to you and your husband. Please do not rush into petting them. It takes time to get them get used to you guys and to have confidence in you two and the house.

It's was a good sign that they came up the bed to sleep. Just give them time and they'll be up again. Keep talking to them and always get down to their level offering them some kitty snacks. Speak gently to them and use a cat wand to play with them as to get them out of hiding.

It takes time, so be patience and most importantly is not to freak them out and loose their trust in you. The key to socializing them is lots of love, patience and going through the same routine everyday and everytime. Never force them or pull them out of their hiding. It is always on their terms.

What are their names and please post photos of them for us to see.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and do introduce yourself and your kitties to the community in 'New Cats on the Block' under the General Forums.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tamed my male feral cat by petting him with a really long handled feather duster. I've heard of some people using a sock on the end of a stick. He's still deathly afraid of any strangers though. My female feral cat doesn't like to be petted much.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought home a 4-month old feral in early February.  She did spend 9 days in the shelter for TNR because they weren't able to get to her spay the first week like they originally planned.  Anyway...I think she got slightly used to humans walking around (and poking and prodding her).

The first week I had her in the bathroom with litter, food and water, and a large cat carrier with a fleece blanket.  I spent about 10-15 minutes of every hour I was home just sitting on the bathroom floor talking softly to her or just sitting quietly.  I played a talk radio station 24-hours a day to get her used to human voices (classical music works well too, if you prefer). Because she was not at all aggressive, just fearful, I was more forceful about petting her and picking her up when she came out of the carrier (or wasn't hiding behind the toilet).  By the time I let her have run of the bedroom, she wasn't a "hider".  She is still hand-shy until she remembers that my hand has never done anything to her but pet her and bring her food.

I think you have to judge by the individual cat's temperament and body language whether to leave them alone or be more forceful.

I live alone and rarely have house guests, so I suspect Farrell will not ever be too happy around strangers (and that's ok).

It is a good thing that they both jumped up on the bed to sleep with you.  They'll come around. 

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one set of true ferals (siblings) trapped at 5 months to be TNRed but were too ill to be released.  They came to live with me at  7  months. The male used to attack when I came into the room.  (I think because of the medical treatments they received).   I've had them 3 and a half years.  They come when called  and are lap cats, enjoying long petting sessions and kitty massages.    However, they growl at anyone coming up the walkway and hide as soon as the doorbell rings.

I have another set, one semiferal and the other more feral (fosters) (not siblings)  trapped at 5 months and I got them at 6 months.   I've had them over a year.  The semiferal  comes when called and loves petting and will accept pets from "strangers" after some initial skiddishness.   The other will accept petting only from me and only in certain "safe" places.   She hisses at strangers.  She either doesn't know her name or chooses to ignore me.

I believe since I live alone, mine tended to bond only to me.   

Since yours are semiferal and were trapped at 4 months, I believe you will have success.  The fact that they got up on the bed is a great sign.  Remember with ferals it is often one step forward and two steps back.   Good luck and thank you for adopting ferals!

playerdark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a feral cat in my garden once. I started to feed her, she would hiss and hit me when I put out the food under the garden door. It took me 2 years before I could start to touch her and another year until I could take her inside the house. She is now indoor only and is the most affectionate cat you can think of, following me around, sitting on me when I sit on the sofa and constantly visiting me on my desk while I'm working.

So don't give up hope, it just takes time but it is possible

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twosemiferalcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

Thank you so much for the thorough information. I think for the most part, I should be more cautious when approaching them. Good news is that one of the cats, the hissy one whose name is Stars, comes up to my hand everytime he's hungry and sniffs it (provided that I've been hand feeding him for about 2 weeks now). Moons is the other one, but he never eats from my hand, he stays far~~behind Stars and watches. Once Stars is done eating, Moons will come up and look at my hand and then looks away until I put the food down and go away. He's really scared of us for some odd reason. 

Anyways, I've tried using catnip spray last night and one of them came up the bed again! I think he was super stimulated and was running all over the place and came up on the bed again. 

Still runs away from us, but I can see drastic changes. I will try the dust-feather petting sessions. Hopefully, he will be more receptive to petting sessions. 

Thank you once again for your kind responses! Here are some pictures of them. I couldn't get Moons' pictures because he's really scared and can't get a real good picture of him. Once he comes out of hiding, I will update on some more pictures of him. 

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Remember, just don't hurry into it. Patience, love and routine is the key and time will win his heart.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are 2nd generation ferals so I understand what you're going through. One thing I did with mine is not staring at them. Just briefly glance and look away. Honey, still to this day, will bolt if I approach her while looking at her. If I pretend like I don't see her and walk on by, she just stays right there. Another thing, as you found out, is to decrease your size. Lying in a bed at night makes you the least threat to them that's why they got up on the bed with you. So during the day go and sit with them and read a book and let them come up to you. Offer a finger or a closed fist to sniff. If they do, try to pet them - or let them pet themselves with your closed fist - but don't let them know how excited you are that you are petting them or else they might bolt. Try not to sneeze or cough. Keep your voice quiet when you speak. And like everyone else says, patience is the key. Patience and consistency. Mistakes will happen, once I stepped on one of their paws and they all scattered to the 4 winds. But they came back, after all, I was the one feeding them and they loved me for that.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

Thank you so much for the thorough information. I think for the most part, I should be more cautious when approaching them. Good news is that one of the cats, the hissy one whose name is Stars, comes up to my hand everytime he's hungry and sniffs it (provided that I've been hand feeding him for about 2 weeks now). Moons is the other one, but he never eats from my hand, he stays far~~behind Stars and watches. Once Stars is done eating, Moons will come up and look at my hand and then looks away until I put the food down and go away. He's really scared of us for some odd reason.

Anyways, I've tried using catnip spray last night and one of them came up the bed again! I think he was super stimulated and was running all over the place and came up on the bed again.

Still runs away from us, but I can see drastic changes. I will try the dust-feather petting sessions. Hopefully, he will be more receptive to petting sessions.

Thank you once again for your kind responses! Here are some pictures of them. I couldn't get Moons' pictures because he's really scared and can't get a real good picture of him. Once he comes out of hiding, I will update on some more pictures of him.

They are lovely! Other posters' suggestions are very good, especially when it comes to the "patience" part. In our former neighborhood there were many community cats, some semi-feral and some feral. It took years to earn the trust of the matriarch, enough to get her to her doctor to be spayed and innoculated. We also succeeded in getting all of her known offspring except one (almost had him, but he escaped) to doctor as well, and adopted all but tiny kittens who were deemed "adoptable" by rescuer/adopter friend. At our next location, a tiny feral kitten found us. We got her everything she needed, and she is now with me. She's 13 now and only bonded to me -- she's neutral toward her "sister" and runs from her "brother". She also hides when company or other people visit(s).

gsetter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seems like they're less afraid of you when you're laying down. Imagine if you were captured and held by gigantic alien creatures. It might take you some time to get use to that. See how they react by getting down to their level.
Play with them every day for at least 15-20 minutes. Mine like the 8 foot step ladder I leave out for them. Cats feel safer higher up.
Most cats that experience starvation are food motivated. Try giving them small bits of broiled chicken, seasoned a few hours in salt brine before cooking. Don't use any other seasonings especially onion and garlic. Those are toxic to cats.
Get down on the floor as low as you can and toss them a piece at a time.

I have a young cat that is semi feral and was very shy. After a few months of offering her chicken or what ever I was eating that is safe for cats, Tortifoot now jumps up on my lap as I'm eating. It may be a bad habit to teach a cat but it helps us bond, so it's not a problem for me.

I also have another torti I call Miss Hissy Spitty. I trapped her over a year ago and I don't think she will never want anything to do with me. But that's OK. After all, it's about giving her a good, safe life and not just living for me.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like they're less afraid of you when you're laying down. Imagine if you were captured and held by gigantic alien creatures. It might take you some time to get use to that. See how they react by getting down to their level.
Play with them every day for at least 15-20 minutes. Mine like the 8 foot step ladder I leave out for them. Cats feel safer higher up.
Most cats that experience starvation are food motivated. Try giving them small bits of broiled chicken, seasoned a few hours in salt brine before cooking. Don't use any other seasonings especially onion and garlic. Those are toxic to cats.
Get down on the floor as low as you can and toss them a piece at a time.

I have a young cat that is semi feral and was very shy. After a few months of offering her chicken or what ever I was eating that is safe for cats, Tortifoot now jumps up on my lap as I'm eating. It may be a bad habit to teach a cat but it helps us bond, so it's not a problem for me.

I also have another torti I call Miss Hissy Spitty. I trapped her over a year ago and I don't think she will never want anything to do with me. But that's OK. After all, it's about giving her a good, safe life and not just living for me.
You do sound like a good caregiver! Love the names, btw. My torti treasure is Tarifa, which sounds somewhat similar to Torifoot.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful photos. You are wonderful for saving them. Our ex-stray Gypsy loves to be petted but usually makes us go to her. She loves to play with a shoelace tied to a window blind wand and it will bring her running every time when she hears the tip tapping. :catrub:

twosemiferalcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys once again! I have one question. So one of the cats, Stars, is now coming up to me while I have my hand on the floor. He sniffs it and stays near my hand. I then tried raising my hand to see if he wants to be petted, but he just turns his head away and walks away everytime I do it. Does it mean that he doesn't want me to touch him?

twosemiferalcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These are couple more photos of them. They're much calmer now, but still hisses everytime we walk into the room on them if they're out. Actually, it's just Stars that hisses and not Moons. (Stars is the one with the white front)

Attachments

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys once again! I have one question. So one of the cats, Stars, is now coming up to me while I have my hand on the floor. He sniffs it and stays near my hand. I then tried raising my hand to see if he wants to be petted, but he just turns his head away and walks away everytime I do it. Does it mean that he doesn't want me to touch him?
Put a few cat treats or a little kibble (if you're feeding dry) in your palm and curl your fingers under. When Stars comes up to sniff, instead of raising your hand off the floor, just slowly flip your hand palm-side-up and show him the treats. Getting a feral to eat out of your hand is a good step forward.

Beautiful cats! Sounds like they're coming around slowly. Nice work. :)

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may mean he's afraid of your hand and wants to take it more slowly. Try moving as slow as a sloth (well not that slow, but you know) and just barely raise your hand in the same position. See if he will pet himself with your hand by him rubbing his cheek against your hand. Kitties always let us know when we are going too fast for them.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Whenever you enter the room, before entering, call out their names so that they know it's you. Though they can sense your footsteps before you approach the room, it's better to reinforce their confidence with your voice and enter slowly into the room and get down to their level.

Sometimes when Stars notice that if you are carrying something in your hands, it may look like something unfamiliar to him so he hisses.

Good that he comes near and sniff your hand as you place your hand on the floor. Just let him sniff and let him leave his scent on your hands. Try not to pet him first. Do this several times till he is comfortable and confident of your hand.

After getting use to your hands over time, do not raise your hand to pet him but instead form your hand into a first form and stroke his face slowly then slowly to his head. A formed fist is less threatening than a palm. But again, slow and steady and repeat.