Cat's Abdomen Is Getting Bloated?

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the vet say anything about a chest tap to remove fluid? It’s generally not a good idea to remove fluid from the abdomen because the body just works harder to replace it all but if he’s breathing weirdly the fluid might be in his chest and affecting his breathing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No the vet didn’t say anything about a chest tap. I think he was breathing weirdly cause his nose was stuffy (the vet noticed too)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible they may want to make sure he is stable before you can take him home - they may keep him under their care a bit longer, if you all agree what might be best. But I am not a vet, and also do not know exactly what is wrong with your little guy. :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

I've never stopped thinking of him and hoping for the very best for all of you!
:vibes: :vibes::alright:
Come on, Mojo!:hugs:

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's possible they may want to make sure he is stable before you can take him home - they may keep him under their care a bit longer, if you all agree what might be best. But I am not a vet, and also do not know exactly what is wrong with your little guy. :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

I've never stopped thinking of him and hoping for the very best for all of you!
:vibes: :vibes::alright:
Come on, Mojo!:hugs:
Thanks! After the surgery, they will keep Mojo there until this evening (it's early afternoon right now) to make sure that the tube is working properly and everything.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will ask the vet about B-12 shots. Is there a B-12 supplement instead of shots?
The thing with B-12 is that B-12 is needed to absorb B-12 from food. If he is deficient, he will need the shots. Oral supplementation won't be effective until deficiency is resolved. You could test for B-12 deficiency. But that's another blood test--a fasting blood test (he shouldn't eat for 12 hours before the test.) B-12 is safe enough to give it when it is not needed. Any excess will be harmless excreted in his urine.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will ask about b-12 shots then.
We got some high calorie+nutrients gel and a liquid food that is for digestive health.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet called and told us they are giving him something to increase his protein.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is pretty sleepy, but looks better than I thought! His nose is pink, but not too pink like this morning (it was almost red). Right now he is resting on one of his beds. He has an e-collar, a wrap around his neck, and a wrap around his arm because he has an IV. We are going to keep him in the bathroom at night so he doesn't have to move around too much. The vet thinks he is going to recover if it's not FIP :D

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vets gave him a lot of fluid and formula, so we don't have to feed him or give him water tonight. Tomorrow morning we are going back, and they are going to show us how to feed him with the tube. The whole thing cost $450 :eek:

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is struggling to walk :(
He tried to walk to the litter box, but kept falling over. When he got in, he just sat down and pooped. He didn’t even bury it. Then I put him back in his bed. Is this normal since he might still have some anesthesia in his system?

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When your cat got bloodwork, did your vet give you a copy or not?
No but they said bilirubin was low, and everything else was normal and his liver isn’t making enough protein and that was it

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No but they said bilirubin was low, and everything else was normal and his liver isn’t making enough protein and that was it
Oh yes I do see that now in your post, sorry.

Anesthesia can definitely make cats loopy and weak for a while after they wake up, I wouldn’t worry too much unless it gets worse or he’s not feeling stronger after 24 hours of recovery. Definitely call your vet if you’re concerned though, they should be able to tell you over the phone some things about what a normal recovery looks like.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will see tomorrow morning then since it has been less than 12 hours. Do we need someone to watch him overnight? He is in my room and his litter box is there, and there are some towels on the floor and lots of his beds.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They did give him B-12 shots, and they are going to give him them at most once a week. The vet said that Mojo was more responsive to her this morning :D
He also had the energy to meow a little bit :)
They are increasing the amount of formula he is getting