Cat's Abdomen Is Getting Bloated?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His nose and gums and even paw pads turned pinker than before (before they were pale, the vet thinks it looks like he has jaundice). I am worried about him. He is purring, but seems to have even less energy and he is breathing a little quicker than usual but not more than 30 times a minute. I searched online and it says turning more pink/dark may be from stress or excitement. The vet appointment is in 1.5 hours. My parents won't take him sooner. I can upload a picture as soon as I get a good one.

Last edited:

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The camera doesn’t show how dark his nose his. His pupils are large too (I don’t know if that has anything to do with this).

Attachments

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His nose and gums and even paw pads turned pinker than before (before they were pale, the vet thinks he has jaundice). I am worried about him. He is purring, but seems to have even less energy and he is breathing a little quicker than usual but not more than 30 times a minute. I searched online and it says turning more pink/dark may be from stress or excitement. The vet appointment is in 1.5 hours. My parents won't take him sooner. I can upload a picture as soon as I get a good one.
If the vet asks him to get hospitalized for more care, that might not be optional but something truly needed. It's an "if" but you might want to prepare your parents.

Jaundice is serious and needs to be taken under control. Antibiotics alone might not be enough but they might need to drain the fluids at the least. Possibly 24 hour care with IV fluids.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So it’s ok to wait another hour to go to the vet?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it’s ok to wait another hour to go to the vet?
None of us can be sure of this. To me, your last update did not make it sound like his condition is significantly worse. But unfortunately since nobody can be sure what's going on inside him & his condition we cannot be sure if he needs emergency care or not either.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom said we can go a little earlier. He isn't even lifting up his head and when he walks, it's like his legs have no energy. I hope he will be fine.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His nose got slightly less pink.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet told us we have 3 options. Return him, euthanize him, or put a feeding tube. We decided to do the feeding tube, since the fip test came back negative. We are going to pick him up this evening. They are going to show us how to feed him with the feeding tube.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are also going to give him antibiotics because he has a stuffy nose (maybe an upper respiratory infection)

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet told us we have 3 options. Return him, euthanize him, or put a feeding tube. We decided to do the feeding tube, since the fip test came back negative. We are going to pick him up this evening. They are going to show us how to feed him with the feeding tube.
That's excellent news FIP test came out negative. Hopefully nutrition will boost his immune system. Maybe also ask the vet if a milk thistle supplement would be beneficial for his liver and if they have a suggestion on the brand.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet still thinks it's fip though. We already got an organic milk thistle supplement powder. We are going to mix it into the formula to feed him. I am going to ask my mom to get a supplement for his immune system. The vet says that nutrition is the most important thing right now, if he has good nutrition he will have the best chance at recovering. They are going to call to let us know how he is doing.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are resilient when their nutrition is kept up. I'm sorry it's come to this. But I'm glad you are getting the feeding tube. It will give you an active hand in his recovery. And make meds a lot easier. Any meds you are giving by tube that should be taken with food, give a syringe of food before the meds. The only time my Krista minded her feeding tube was if I fed too cold or too fast. You'll get immediate feedback on both. Learn and adapt. No big deal.

You might want to consider getting a Kitty Kollar to keep the tube site cleanings and re-dressing easier to perform.
Kitty Kollar - Special Hugs for special kitties & kanines

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are giving us a collar that keeps the tube site clean and so he can't scratch it. It's not our fault that he had this disease right? Cause we only had him a month.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're crafty, it wouldn't take much effort to replicate a kitty kollar if you need an alternative to what he is sent home with. One downside of the feeding tube is that the insertion site needs to be cleaned at least every other day. Krista would have never sat still for a wrap to come off or go on. I make certain the vet office never sends her home with a wrap after a blood draw because it's too difficult to remove those and keep all my fingers. But the velcro attachment of the kitty kollar made it quick and simple to take off and put back on a feisty cat.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mojo is a very obedient cat, even when he wasn't sick, he wouldn't move if we were brushing him or something. He has never bit me or scratched me. But we will look at the kitty kollar if we don't think the collar the vet gave us is suitable.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, Mojo lost 1 pound :(. He is now 6.30 pounds and we can feel all his bones :(

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he getting B-12 shots? Ask the vet about B-12 shots. If he needs B-12, and he probably does since he's lost so much weight, it will be exceedingly hard for him to regain weight without it. But if he doesn't need B-12 supplementation, it's extremely safe and it will become mildly expensive (less than $100) pee.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will ask the vet about B-12 shots. Is there a B-12 supplement instead of shots?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not our fault that he had this disease right? Cause we only had him a month.
It is not your fault. If he does turn out to have FIP, you should know that this is a disease that can strike any cat that comes from a multiple cat environment (such as an adoption center), and is not anyone's fault. You are doing everything right and you are doing a wonderful job taking care of Mojo.