Cat's Abdomen Is Getting Bloated?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He vomited last night :(
We fed him 15 ml of formula. He is going to the vet again but I can't go this time because I have a doctor's appointment. I will ask my dad to tell me what the vet said when I get back.
Last night he kept moving around, and could walk by himself :D
He was much less wobbly than the day before yesterday.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet called and said that the fluid was leaking into the flesh under his skin :(
She said he is doing poorly and his protein is still low
We might need to put him down :bawling::bawling2:

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We decided we are most likely going to put him to sleep but we are going to ask for the vet's opinion first :(:bawling:
We spent $1000 to try to treat him, but he's not getting better.
We are heartbroken :bawling2:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No but they said bilirubin was low, and everything else was normal and his liver isn’t making enough protein and that was it
MojoTuxedo MojoTuxedo , did you mean bilirubin or albumin?

--
The vet called and said that the fluid was leaking into the flesh under his skin :(
She said he is doing poorly and his protein is still low
We might need to put him down :bawling::bawling2:
Are they still giving him fluids, or did they ease up on that?

I'm really hoping your vet can help Mojo through this!
:vibes: :vibes: :crossfingers: :crossfingers::alright::grouphug2::alright: :vibes:

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was bilirubin, not albumin. I think they are still giving him fluids, but the vet thinks he would pass on his own in a few days. We are going to put him to sleep this afternoon :bawling:

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. We are going to get some things with custom pictures of him to remember him.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel bad for Mojo, because we noticed the bloating but we thought he was getting fat, since we gave him 2 cans of food every day and he would meow for more, and sometimes we would give him another one. We never would have thought that he had organ problems.
Right now the vet says he is in pain, and he is very depressed so that is why we decided to put him to sleep. :(
The only pets we have had before Mojo were fish, and some hamsters

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think after we disinfect everything and wait a while to get over the loss of Mojo, we will adopt another cat, but this time an adult cat because we didn't know how easily kittens can get sick :(

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel bad for Mojo, because we noticed the bloating but we thought he was getting fat, since we gave him 2 cans of food every day and he would meow for more, and sometimes we would give him another one. We never would have thought that he had organ problems.
Right now the vet says he is in pain, and he is very depressed so that is why we decided to put him to sleep. :(
The only pets we have had before Mojo were fish, and some hamsters
Try not to feel bad, I know this is not easy for you. Kittens and young cats do eat a TON of food, as they are growing and growing, and have so much energy. When my cat was a kitten 3-4 years ago, she ate so much food! It's just what they need, being so young and still growing and developing. Healthy kittens play a LOT, expend a lot of energy. They can eat up to 300+ kcal per day, depending on the type of kitten! I had to feed my kitten about 270 kcal a day for her first year or so. Did you say you'd only had him about a month? It's possible he's been having some health or liver issues, or a disease, or something unknown right now, even before you adopted him. :hugs: It's hard to know. My heart goes out to you. He sounds very sick. Did the vet try easing up on giving fluids? I wonder if that might have helped some. But I am *not* a vet, and have no real idea or experience beyond any cats' experiences that I've myself had in my life.

:grouphug2:

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, we had him for a month and 2 weeks. I don't know what the vets have been doing today. The vet said that he probably had a disease before we got him, since his organ has a problem, and it's not like an infection or anything. I try not to feel bad but obviously it's hard to lose a cat :(
My sister is not home right now, so she doesn't even know yet.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's very hard to lose a cat. :( Have you ever visited the Crossing the Bridge forum here? There are so many wonderful members that can really help us when we are grieving; they are amazing. I know myself how hard it is losing cats of my own, and I am not really good at expressing my feelings over it or I feel I am not much help helping others, as I start crying... but there are so many great people here who can help, if you want to "talk" and make a post over in that forum.
:grouphug:

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not really good at expressing my feelings over it either :(

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep wondering if we decided to keep treating him, would he have gotten better? Probably not, but if there was a chance then I would not euthanize him.
But the vets say he's doing really badly, and I don't want him to suffer anymore :(:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not really good at expressing my feelings over it either :(
Well, one thing I've learned about you when I joined in on this thread and as I kept posting, was that you have all the love, good instincts, attention and care that make a very good pet owner. You are a fighter and a good advocate for Mojo, and it is so hard to tell what all could have been wrong with him, and for how long -- we do the very best we can, as soon as we are able, as do the vets and vet techs. Your photos of Mojo are precious and I can tell how loved he was, and what a good cat. I know when I have lost cats, I wrote and wrote in journals, all the memories, fun times, nicknames, stories, joys and sorrows. That helped - a bit.
:redheartpump: