Cat's Abdomen Is Getting Bloated?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are going to the vet this afternoon. We will do an ultrasound, and if there is liquid they will get a sample and test it for FIP. If it's negative then we will do bloodwork.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is $27 for a fecal exam and $70 for an ultrasound a good price?
Very normal, where I work is $33 for a fecal but $65 for a basic ultrasound. I would have the fecal checked again in a month because parasites can shed at different times and may not show up right away. Keep us posted.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going to the vet this afternoon. We will do an ultrasound, and if there is liquid they will get a sample and test it for FIP. If it's negative then we will do bloodwork.
Good luck today! :alright: :vibes: :hugs:

It will be up to your parents and the vet, but I'd really encourage getting blood work done, no matter what is going on with the ultrasound and resulting fluid test results.
:grouphug2:

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We did the ultrasound and the bloodwork. There was a lot of fluid. It was yellow and thin. They sent out a sample to test for FIP. They also sent to blood sample and we will get the results soon. The vet said Mojo might have a problem with his kidneys or liver :(. She said his gums and tongue were pale and a tiny bit yellow :(. We got some high-calorie food and we are going to get some nutrient paste for Mojo because he is he is not eating as much but still eating. We are going to keep him in one room so he doesn't have to move around as much. The vet said he the problem is serious :(.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope the test results have better information for you. I hope he continues to eat
:crossfingers: :grouphug2: Come on, Mojo! Feel better soon!

Please keep us posted :alright:

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are there any supplements are anything we should get?

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mojo just ate 1 or 2 tablespoons of dry food :).

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help, everyone

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to ask but I am going to ask my mom to ask the vet when they call tomorrow with the results. The vet gave us some high calorie food.

Sweaters77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very normal, where I work is $33 for a fecal but $65 for a basic ultrasound. I would have the fecal checked again in a month because parasites can shed at different times and may not show up right away. Keep us posted.
wow, that's so cheap. Abdominal U/S here in Canada is 480cad + tax. I have one scheduled and I am cringing. I wonder why such a difference in price. ugh

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since he is underweight I was wondering if there is anything we can do to help him gain weight

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet called today, and said that everything was normal (blood cells and everything else normal) except the bilirubin levels which are low. She said he could get fatty liver because he is not getting enough food so we are going to syringe feed him. I fed him about 15 ml of food and then he went to one of his beds. Also the protein made by the liver is low, which could have caused the fluid buildup. The FIP test results should be back by Monday.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave him another 5 ml of food, which I blended and he ate some dry food as well. Should we get a supplement to help him gain weight?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Call and OK it with the vet, but you could try kitten food, both kibble and whatever wet he will eat. It's usually higher in fat and calories than adult cat food.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do give him kitten food already because he is a kitten.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He ate another 10ml of wet food with water :)

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We boiled some chicken wings with no seasonings, and after it cooled down we removed the bones, cut it into small pieces and gave him the chicken. He loved it! He ate almost 2 whole wings. We also gave him some of the water that the chicken was boiled in and he liked it too and I guess there are some nutrients in the water as well. This was the most I have seen him eat in one day in a while. How often should we give him some boiled chicken or other meat?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats eat birds.

Chicken is a kind of bird.

If he likes to eat chicken that could be his main food but, since he is a growing kitten, he needs to eat more than one kind of food so it would be best if he ate other stuff, too, so he gets enough nutrition to help him grow and get better.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got a milk thistle powder for his liver, and a high calorie and nutrient gel/paste from amazon. Both had very good reviews.
I will feed him other stuff besides chicken and his main food will be canned food. Can he also eat boiled shrimp or beef? And what about organs like chicken liver? Also the vet said that he needs some grain for his heart and to process taurine or something, so we are giving him a little bit of cooked rice or potato with each meal.