Cat's Abdomen Is Getting Bloated?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a saying... "Kittens come with worms."

That's not 100% true but there is a grain of truth to it.

If a mother cat has worms, she can pass them to the kittens. When the kittens grow up, they will seem to just have worms from out of nowhere.

Further, if a cat or kitten gets infected it can take time for the eggs to gestate and hatch before the cat shows symptoms.

You can have your cat tested for worms and come up clean but, a little while later, the cat or kitten will seem to get worms from out of nowhere.

You have probably done everything right. You have probably taken care of your kitten EXACTLY the way you should but, still, the cat will just seem to get worms even though there was nothing wrong just a short time before.

That's why many people say that kittens "just come with worms."

Sudden bloating is a common symptom of worms.
The worms (roundworms) grow quickly by feeding off the food your cat eats. They absorb the nutrients from your cats food, right out of his stomach and intestines before he has a chance to fully digest his food.

Lack of weight gain is another common symptom of worms.
The worms are sucking up all the nutrition from the food your kitten eats before he has a chance to grow.

Some people think that they will see evidence of worms when the cat poops but that's not always true. Roundworms don't always come out in the cat's poop. They often just "swim" around in the cat's stomach and intestines like the way a salmon swims upstream. Only sometimes do they get pooped out. This is usually only when the infestation is severe.

The same thing is true about cats barfing up worms. Sometimes they do but not always. They usually only barf up worms when the infestation is severe.

By the time your kitten poops-out or barfs-up worms, he will probably be a very sick kitty!

This is why you need to get your kitten checked for worms right away.

You also need to have him checked for worms regularly because it is possible for even the best vet to miss them during a routine check.

The treatment for worms is usually pretty simple.
The vet will give him a pill, right there, in the examining room then you'll get a prescription for some more.

Usually, it only takes a couple-three pills to de-worm a cat. If an infestation is really bad, it might take a few extra pills. In most cases, all that is needed is to give the cat some pills and the worms will be gone in less than a week.

This is really a simple thing.
All you have to do is scoop up some fresh poop from your kitten's litter box and put it into a plastic bag then wrap the plastic bag up in some newspaper or something.

Take your kitten and the stool sample to the vet.
The vet will look your kitten over. The vet will analyze the stool sample under a microscope. Probably, in less than 30 minutes, the vet can diagnose and treat your kittens worm problem.

Sometimes, the vet will want to take the cat into the back room to have a better look but, if the stool sample shows evidence of worms, there usually will be no need for further tests.

This is actually a common thing.

Like I said, kittens often just seem to "come with worms."

Even if you check for worms and come up clean, a cat can still have worms and you won't know it until later.

A cat can have worms and you won't know it because there may not be external signs like worms appearing in the poop.

You can do everything right and your cat might STILL end up getting worms.

The solution is usually pretty simple. Just take your cat to the vet and get tested and get some medicine. It's usually not very expensive, either.

When we took Casper to the vet to get him checked and de-wormed it cost us less than $100.00.

I am not 100% certain that your kitten has worms but the things you have been talking about are consistent with a cat that has worms.

The checkup and treatment for worms is fairly straightforward and will likely not be too expensive.

Even though I am not positive your kitten has worms, it pays to check the easy things first and, if your kitten comes up clean, move on to the more difficult problems.

Maybe your kitten does just have a big belly. Some cats do.
But checking your kitten for worms is so straightforward that it really pays to check. Your kittens health and well-being is important. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will show my parents this. Also the vet my parents took him to was the petsmart vet (banfield hospital I think) and they wouldn't take him to another vet because they had a coupon for a free visit for the first time. I will ask them to take him to another vet next time. My mom says she can probably take him next week when we get an appointment

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's nothing wrong with Banfield Pet Hospitals.

They might not seem as fancy as other veterinarians because they have many of their clinics inside PetSmart's retail stores but that doesn't mean that they are bad.

In order to become a vet, a person has to go to school and get a license just like a human doctor. The only difference is that they study animals instead of people.

When somebody graduates medical school and gets a medical license, they need to do an internship where they work at a hospital or some other place to get experience before they take on their own practice.

The same thing happens when a person graduates from veterinary school. They also need to work at a place to get experience before they open up their own practice.

Banfield Pet Hospital is one of the places where people can get experience treating animals before they start their own business.

Many good vets got their start working at Banfield. You should never feel bad about taking your kitten to a Banfield clinic just because they aren't the fanciest place in town.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok but the ratings for the other vet was higher than the banfield hospital ones so we are going there instead.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also the vet my parents took him to was the petsmart vet (banfield hospital I think) and they wouldn't take him to another vet because they had a coupon for a free visit for the first time.
Please tell me they are aware a cat needs a yearly physical exam and bloodwork regularly once he gets older.... I hope they don't think he only goes once for a free exam and thats it until he "seems sick".

On a side note, I used to work at Banfield. I worked with new vets right along side vets who had been working there for 25 years. It was a great place.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok I just thought banfield wasn't as good because it was at petsmart. My parents know that a cat should go 1 or 2 times a year to the vet for a checkup.

• Purraise
Reactions: jen

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first vet that we took Casper to was one of those "fancy" places that had a nicely decorated lobby and stuff like that but we only went there once because the people who worked there didn't explain things to us very well.

In fact, we took Casper there to get de-wormed.

He also got his first rabies vaccination and we got his microchip put in.

When I started asking questions like, "What kind of medicine is this?"... "How does it work?"... "How safe and effective is it?"... the vet started to get upset with me.

I never went back to that vet again.

The second vet helped Casper when he had problems with urinary crystals and she helped him again when he had megacolon. These are two problems that a cat can die from if they don't get treated quickly!

She brought out Casper's medical reports and we went over them line by line. She showed me Casper's X-rays and pointed out where the problem was. She told me what to do to help Casper get better. She told me what medicine to give him. She told me how they work. She told me how often to give them. She even showed me how to make Casper take medicine when he refuses to swallow his pills.

When I walked out of that place, I knew EXACTLY what to do, what I should expect and when I should call the vet for more help, if necessary.

Let me tell you something. This vet's office looks like an old barn!
But she is the BETTER veterinarian! She charges less than the other place, too!

The moral to this story is that you should never judge a veterinary clinic based on how fancy it is. You should judge a clinic by how knowledgeable and helpful the vets are. A good vet should not be afraid to explain the problem, in detail, to you and how to treat it with clear instructions.

Just because your vet's clinic is also a pet store is no reason to think that it is bad.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wasn't judging based on how fancy it was, but based on the petsmart's bad reputation.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think some banfields can get a bad rep, I did google research and reviews too back when I was making decisions. And some got bad reviews, its because there are so many of them. There's bound to be unhappy people here and there. I like banfield. They spayed Zoe, and fixed her up good when she got hurt a few years ago.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On-line reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use them but you need to understand that there can be a lot of bad information and you have to be on the lookout for it.

I recently saw a scathing review at an on-line site that looked really bad so I looked around for other reviews on different websites and found that the same person had posted the exact, same bad review, copy and pasted, word-for-word, on three different websites, on the same day, using three completely different usernames.

Another on-line review site had nothing but glowing, five-star reviews. It was obvious that the business was posting fake reviews for itself just to look better on the review site.

When you read on-line reviews, it is important to know how to read through the B.S.

Regardless of whether you go to a vet with good reviews on Yelp or not, you need to be active in your pet's care. You need to ask questions. You need to give good, clear answers (as well as you can) to questions you are asked. If you don't understand something, speak up. If the vet doesn't answer questions to your satisfaction, either make sure you get the answers you need or go to another vet who will answer questions.

When you walk out of a vet's clinic you should know what your cat's problem is, what's being done about it and how to care for your cat in order for him to get better.

It's not up to the vet to do that for you. It's not up to Yelp to do that for you. This is something that YOU have to do for YOURSELF. :)

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said he is underweight :(. He only gained 0.1 pound from last month. They are doing a fecal exam. It was $27 and the results will be back tomorrow morning. If it is negative, they will do an ultrasound and/or bloodwork. Is $70 for an ultrasound a good price?

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He had diarrhea :(. What does this mean? At least we took him to the vet today.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What can I do about the diarrhea?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What has he been eating? His regular food? Something else?

Has he gotten any milk or anything like that.
Even though people think cats drink milk, it really isn't good for them because it can cause diarrhea.

Sometimes kittens get into things they shouldn't and eat things that aren't good for them.
I used to have a cat that liked to dig in the garbage can and try to eat things he shouldn't.

Did the vet give him any medicine when he was there?
Certain medicines can cause diarrhea.

Stress from going to the vet is a possible cause.

If he has worms, that can cause diarrhea, too.

If this is a one-time event there isn't much to worry about. Just keep an eye on him and let him eat his normal food.

If it happens more than twice in a row or if it's really bad (like explosive diarrhea) or if there is blood or worms in it, call the vet right away.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There was nothing in it. He didn’t have milk or anything unusual. We called the vet and they said they have some special food to help the diarrhea. They didn’t give him any medicine yet. The garbage can has a lid. If it happens again I will ask my mom to go to the vet, but we are going again tomorrow to get medicine if the results on the fecal examination are positive, or doing an ultrasound and bloodwork if it’s negative.