Cat's Abdomen Is Getting Bloated?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Assuming that he has diarrhea only one or two times he'll be okay if...

...it isn't "really bad" diarrhea.
...there isn't any blood or worms.
...he's eating mostly normally.
...he's peeing normally.
...he doesn't look sick or behave in a way that makes you think he could be sick.

If all of those things are true you can wait until tomorrow when he goes back to the vet for his second visit. Be sure to tell the vet, though!

But, if any of those bad things happen or if it doesn't go away after one or two times, you should call the vet right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was liquify but like a thick liquid so I guess it wasn’t that bad? He did get some on his fur though so should we wash him there? He is peeing normally I think and is eating normally.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They make wet wipes for cats, especially for this problem. You can buy them at the pet store.

You can just use a wet paper towel and clean his behind.

You don't have to give him a bath just because he had a little accident in the litter box. Just a wipe is fine.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wiped him with some pet wipes but the smell and color is still there. I also used a damp paper towel and it’s still there but less.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
do you have canned pumpkin? plain canned pumpkin- 1 teaspoon or less-helps with pooping issues..some cats like it. some hate it. my girls lick it off my finger. I put it in a small tuperware dish and add water to make it like pudding and feed fingerfuls at a time. maybe that can help...plain pumpkin-nothing added.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom wants to try the food that helps with digestion first. The vet said you can only buy it from animal hospitals.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use a little bit of soap and water to clean his bum if you need to but the wet wipes should have had some kind of soap in them, already.

Just as long as you clean him well enough that he won't spread the mess around, he'll be okay.

If you can afford the special food from the vet, go ahead and get it but you don't absolutely need it. Just the food that he regularly eats should be fine if you make sure that there's nothing else that's causing the problem. You have already done that, mostly. Just keep an eye out for any further problems and call the vet if it gets worse.

Yes, canned pumpkin is good for cats with diarrhea. Some cats like it. :)

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The special food was actually not that expensive, 2 USD for one 5.5 oz can. Hopefully he just has a parasite and not a virus.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be something he ate.
Cats just get into things they shouldn't, sometimes.
You can't watch a cat 100% of the time.

It could be because he has worms.
This is a common symptom.

It could be just because of the stress of going to the vet.
If you got scooped up, shoved into a cat carrier, carted off to the vet where you were poked and prodded by strangers, wouldn't it scare the "S-Word" out of you, too? ;)

He's going back to the vet, tomorrow.
Just keep an eye on him.

arethas mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be something he ate.
Cats just get into things they shouldn't, sometimes.
You can't watch a cat 100% of the time.

It could be because he has worms.
This is a common symptom.

It could be just because of the stress of going to the vet.
If you got scooped up, shoved into a cat carrier, carted off to the vet where you were poked and prodded by strangers, wouldn't it scare the "S-Word" out of you, too? ;)

He's going back to the vet, tomorrow.
Just keep an eye on him.
I agree completely. Just had the same scenario with one of mine a couple weeks ago. Vet said it was probably something she ate and should clear up on it’s own in 4-5 days. Gave her a shot of something and sent some pills home with me. I think they were prednisone. She’s fine now thank goodness!

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think he had diarrhea last night but I am not sure. It’s probably whatever he has. Is $27 for a fecal exam and $70 for an ultrasound a good price?

arethas mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure. My vet visit was $65 I believe. That was for exam, shot and pills.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prices for veterinarian services can vary a lot.
It often depends on the area.

The prices you quote don't sound too far out of line.

If the fecal exam shows evidence of worms, the ultrasound shouldn't be necessary. Just some pills. Usually, the vet will give him one and a couple for you to give him at home.

If the vet gives him a pill at the clinic make sure you ask them to show you how to give a pill to a cat. They can demonstrate the procedure for you, right there. (They're giving him a pill, anyhow. Right? :) )

Assuming your kitten has worms... If it IS just worms, the ultrasound shouldn't be necessary. I suppose, you could do it just for your own peace of mind but, if it's not necessary, why suffer the trouble and expense.

Just make sure you ask questions so that you understand what's making your kitten sick, what you need to do to help him to get better and what to do if he doesn't get better in a reasonable time.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know the ultrasound isn't necessary if the fecal exam is positive but if it is negative I was just asking the price.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what the exact price of an ultrasound examination on a cat should be. It's too hard to tell. Every place has a different price. Depending on where you live, it might be more expensive or less expensive.

$70.00 isn't a "crazy" price, if that's what you are asking.

They might have to shave your kitten's tummy.
They'll have to use a special gel to make the ultrasound work.
They'll have to clean up your kitty and sterilize the equipment.
Somebody with knowledge and training will have to perform the exam.
Of course, the equipment and exam room cost money to purchase and operate.

With all that, do you think $70.00 is out of line?

arethas mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn’t even attempt to give a pill. I crushed it up real fine and mixed it with a small spoon of tuna (in water kind). She gobbled it right up!

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think $70 is overpriced or something. I know they might have to shave his belly.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There were no parasites found in the feces. We are going to go to the vet again tomorrow

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There were no parasites found in the feces. We are going to go to the vet again tomorrow
Thinking good thoughts for you and your kitten, and good luck at the vet tomorrow! I hope it is nothing serious - I am glad you will be getting blood work and probably an ultrasound?
:vibes: :alright: :crossfingers:

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow we are going to decide to do an ultrasound or bloodwork first. His appetite is a little worse but I got him to eat by adding a few treats in his food. His diarrhea is better too.