Cat Wound Help?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very glad it seems to be healing.

Do continue to keep a close eye on the area even once it has healed over: if it is a puncture wound there can be bacteria deep down and an infection continue to develop - then at a later date a cat show signs of being unwell like a temperature and off colour or the wound to break open when infection eventually builds up enough pressure.
Actually, I was applying the neosporin today and I noticed a small patch of matted fur behind the wound. I trimmed some of it, and there was what seemed like white pus under it. This worries me, is this normal??

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Normal in so far as deep infections with puncture wounds is normal, and deep infection will try to find a route out somewhere.

I guess the best thing immediately is to let it drain, keep washing gently with salt water - and keep trying to persuade your family that a trip to the vet would be the best thing all round.

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Normal in so far as deep infections with puncture wounds is normal, and deep infection will try to find a route out somewhere.

I guess the best thing immediately is to let it drain, keep washing gently with salt water - and keep trying to persuade your family that a trip to the vet would be the best thing all round.
Ok, should I gently wash the area of the matted fur? Should I try and trim it or would that hurt him? I’ll try my best to persuade them, but they keep insisting it’ll heal on it’s on, and it’s expensive. :sniffle::sigh:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, a deep infection is likely. He really might need to see a vet to get a course of oral antibiotics. Keep a close eye on it and on Joey's general state of health. Keep bathing it in salt water, allow it to dry completely, then apply the cream. Do this at least three times a day.

Poor you, and poor Joey. I had really hoped you'd escaped infection.

:vibes::crossfingers:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is that if this is a puncture/ bite wound that is starting to abscess, even if the abscess bursts and you see drainage, it may not fully drain, even if it *looks* like it's healing over again... causing the abscess/ infection to just recur or worsen.

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, a deep infection is likely. He really might need to see a vet to get a course of oral antibiotics. Keep a close eye on it and on Joey's general state of health. Keep bathing it in salt water, allow it to dry completely, then apply the cream. Do this at least three times a day.

Poor you, and poor Joey. I had really hoped you'd escaped infection.

:vibes::crossfingers:
Wash the area of matted fur but don't trim it as you could introduce more bacteria with the scissors.
It’s mostly my dad who thinks it can all heal itself. He even said that me putting the neosporin on wouldn’t help, even say it would make it worse. Even though I insisted I knew what I was doing.... I really want to take him to the vet. I know he needs to, I fear it’s only getting worse and not better. Ok, I’ll wash it and won’t trim it. Thank you for all the warm wishes!

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem is that if this is a puncture/ bite wound that is starting to abscess, even if the abscess bursts and you see drainage, it may not fully drain, even if it *looks* like it's healing over again... causing the abscess/ infection to just recur or worsen.
Yeah, I think it was/is an abscess, and it’s draining, because this is new, it wasn’t like that yesterday. I fear that’s what it’s doing, I’m really hoping I can take him to the vet.

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do, but the method I would have to use would be to put it in his rectum, but he’s a very squirmy cat and I can’t do it without help, but nobody would help me...
Thanks, this is really stressing me out...
:hugs: I know it is stressful, my heart goes out to you! Try not to worry about taking the temp, then, if you need some help and no one there can help you. When we are really stressed, dealing with our cat's health issues can 'escalate' as the cat feels our emotions. Honestly, the best person to help you & your cat the most would be a vet; I just don't feel comfortable unless I keep saying that to you! I'm sorry. If your cat stops eating or is really lethargic, or the pus or liquid from the wound turns yellowish or greenish, hot to the touch, please really try to get him to a vet, if possible.
:vibes: :vibes:
I wish I could help more, but I'm doing what I can... --hugs!--

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:hugs: I know it is stressful, my heart goes out to you! Try not to worry about taking the temp, then, if you need some help and no one there can help you. When we are really stressed, dealing with our cat's health issues can 'escalate' as the cat feels our emotions. Honestly, the best person to help you & your cat the most would be a vet; I just don't feel comfortable unless I keep saying that to you! I'm sorry. If your cat stops eating or is really lethargic, or the pus or liquid from the wound turns yellowish or greenish, hot to the touch, please really try to get him to a vet, if possible.
:vibes: :vibes:
I wish I could help more, but I'm doing what I can... --hugs!--
Thank you all very much! I don’t know what I would do without your support. I’m going to try my best to push my parents to take him to the vet, as I know that’s the best option. But you are helping, and have helped a lot! :grouphug::redheartpump:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell them (if it helps) that, with a cat, just because a scab can form over a wound doesn't necessarily mean that all the bacteria has gotten out of that wound.

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tell them (if it helps) that, with a cat, just because a scab can form over a wound doesn't necessarily mean that all the bacteria has gotten out of that wound.
Yeah, my mom knows that if it gets worse we should take him, and I’ll definitely tell them that.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Thing is... by waiting and allowing it to abscess, it's actually going to be more expensive than if you'd taken him in right away. But, I understand that's probably not an argument you can make with people who don't want to listen. If you are eventually able to get him to the vet, maybe you can get them to say something along those lines. So very sorry you are going through this.

ETA:
Although... if you really want to make a statement, you can find videos of cat abscess on YouTube... They're pretty gross, but it makes the point that even a small wound can become a big problem.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if the bite/ puncture is about 10-14 days old now, this is about the time period you'd start seeing signs of infection/ abscess "hit the surface", if it was going on. Just know that you've been doing what you can within the framework that you personally have, and just keep an eye peeled for signs that a possible infection could be getting worse.

We all wish we could be little nanobots and get inside of our kitties and fix all of their health issues in a detailed way asap, but sometimes (ever?!) we certainly can't! Take some deep breaths, and just keep checking on Joey. If you want, you could write down any details or "events" as notes, so that when you possibly do make it to a vet, that would be really helpful to the vet. The vet can take care of the abscess/ infection and probably make use of antibiotics, as others here have mentioned too.
:alright:

:hugs:

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thing is... by waiting and allowing it to abscess, it's actually going to be more expensive than if you'd taken him in right away. But, I understand that's probably not an argument you can make with people who don't want to listen. If you are eventually able to get him to the vet, maybe you can get them to say something along those lines. So very sorry you are going through this.

ETA:
Although... if you really want to make a statement, you can find videos of cat abscess on YouTube... They're pretty gross, but it makes the point that even a small wound can become a big problem.
Well, if the bite/ puncture is about 10-14 days old now, this is about the time period you'd start seeing signs of infection/ abscess "hit the surface", if it was going on. Just know that you've been doing what you can within the framework that you personally have, and just keep an eye peeled for signs that a possible infection could be getting worse.

We all wish we could be little nanobots and get inside of our kitties and fix all of their health issues in a detailed way asap, but sometimes (ever?!) we certainly can't! Take some deep breaths, and just keep checking on Joey. If you want, you could write down any details or "events" as notes, so that when you possibly do make it to a vet, that would be really helpful to the vet. The vet can take care of the abscess/ infection and probably make use of antibiotics, as others here have mentioned too.
:alright:

:hugs:
They saw how stressed and upset I was, and I think that was what convinced them. We’re hopefully taking him to the vet tomorrow. I’m staying home from school to help/watch Joey, and my younger brother as he’s sick. I hope the vet cleans it, the pus made the patch of fur hard, and I can’t seem to clean it very well.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very pleased that your parents have come round to the idea of taking Joey to the vet. And that you've got a day off school! I think that I speak for us all when I say that I wish that I were near enough to help.