Cat Wound Help?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This looks like it could be a puncture wound so I am worried you can not get to a vet. Puncture wounds can develop infections deep down and you may not be aware of this until your cat is very sick and in a lot of pain.
It looks like a puncture wound. Do you have another cat or has your cat been outside? It might be from a cat bite. Is there another wound above it? If there were two wounds then I'd definitely say that it was a bite. You really should try to take your cat to a vet asap as it might get/be infected (if it were from a bite the likelihood of this multiplies).

If you really can't get to a vet any time soon and it starts to look angry, maybe think about spreading some honey on it, as it is a natural antibiotic.

As others have tried to convey this week, it's really best if you can get your cat to a vet asap so that the wound can be professionally looked at! With a cat or animal bite, there's a high probability of infection developing.

When you first posted on Sunday ( Cat Wound Help? ),
you mentioned you thought the wound had already scabbed over and then lost its scab, so maybe the wound has been affecting your cat for at least several days prior to last Sunday? If a bite wound or puncture is not cleaned well early on, there is a greater chance of infection under any scabbing.

Your thread Sunday had this photo of it:
https://thecatsite.com/attachments/image-jpg.219431/

and you posted this photo of it yesterday:
https://thecatsite.com/attachments/image-jpg.219724/

I am not a vet, but if it were my cat, that would look to me like a wound not really improving just yet and I would get my cat to the vet... plus I'd be really worried about infection deep under there, in the soft tissues or worse, if it was a puncture/bite wound. Signs of abscess may not show up until past 10 days or 2 weeks after a wound like that... you may not realize how infected it is getting until the surface signs are pretty bad and also your kitty is getting quite lethargic, in pain, not eating, and so forth!
:vibes: :crossfingers:

If your cat gets in a really bad state, you'll have to take him to a vet anyway and it might be even more difficult by that time to treat him (and take longer to treat him). So I think it might be better to just attempt to get him prepared to go to the vet, despite your reservations about his last vet visit experience, and try to get him professionally taken care of.
:redheartpump: :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@foxxycat Brian007 Brian007 PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws
Wow.. I had no idea it could get that bad. I contacted a local vet, if it doesn’t show signs of improving ill try and get my family to take him to the vet, or have a vet come here as that might be less stressful. Although that can be expensive.....
Ok it’s good to know the fur will hopefully come over during the cleaning process. Joey isn’t showing any signs of stress or being bothered my his wound. The only thing that he’ll occasionally pour about is his cone. We’ve given him a couple breaks, he was grooming himself I had to watch very carefully to make sure he didn’t lick his wound. He almost did a couple times, but I stopped him.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A vet will know best how to proceed.

I hope things will go as well with your kitty as possible! I know how hard it is to take cats to the vet. aagh! It is really a tough dilemma, trying to know when to put them through that "vet stress" or not.
:vibes: :vibes:

Joey might have to wear a cone for a while yet, poor guy!

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A vet will know best how to proceed.

I hope things will go as well with your kitty as possible! I know how hard it is to take cats to the vet. aagh! It is really a tough dilemma, trying to know when to put them through that "vet stress" or not.
:vibes: :vibes:

Joey might have to wear a cone for a while yet, poor guy!
Ah geez, he managed to get the cone off when we weren’t looking, and he licked the scab off! Definitely need to clean it asap now!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear! Well, do everything we first suggested about washing it out with salt water, allowing it to dry completely, then applying the antibiotic cream. Make sure your hands are clean too before you start.

:vibes::nurse:

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh dear! Well, do everything we first suggested about washing it out with salt water, allowing it to dry completely, then applying the antibiotic cream. Make sure your hands are clean too before you start.

:vibes::nurse:
We have to get a few things (as well as antibiotic cream) before we can start (despite how I think we should really try and start asap), but after that we’ll get started right away! I’ll keep you updated!

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. We'll be here when you do. :catman:
I wiped the wound thoroughly with a a cloth that had the salt/water mix, then I put the neosporin on the wound and the area around it, let it sit for 5 minutes, then wiped it off. Hopefully I did everything right Is it a one time thing or should I do it daily/every other day? He got his cone off when he was downstairs and licked it, so I’m glad we did it today rather than later.

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hoping still looking clean and no heat or other signs of infection. :vibes:
Yep! Did the same routine again today, he squirms a little but for the most part stays still. So it isn’t causing him pain, or he’d definitely let me know haha. He’s such a good boy! :wavey::thumbsup:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, just checking in.

I hope that Joey is improving and that you're getting used to your new-found vet nurse skills.

:sunshine:

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, just checking in.

I hope that Joey is improving and that you're getting used to your new-found vet nurse skills.

:sunshine:
Yep he’s improving nicely! His wound is scanning over and getting smaller. Haha, I’ve definitely learned a few things through this experience :thumbsup:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Yep he’s improving nicely! His wound is scanning over and getting smaller. Haha, I’ve definitely learned a few things through this experience :thumbsup:
I'm very glad it seems to be healing.

Do continue to keep a close eye on the area even once it has healed over: if it is a puncture wound there can be bacteria deep down and an infection continue to develop - then at a later date a cat show signs of being unwell like a temperature and off colour or the wound to break open when infection eventually builds up enough pressure.