Cat Wound Help?

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
The neosporin sounds good. :nurse: Apply it three(ish) times a day.

As for salt, rock/sea salt (or even pink salt) would be best but any old table salt will do. It's very important that you clean the wounds with salty water before applying the neosporin.

I've dealt with several cat bites before and they can become very nasty indeed, so it is ever so important that you keep the area clean. I recommend your phoning your vet at the earliest opportunity to tell them about it and to see if they could maybe come to visit. If it becomes infected he'll definitely need veterinary antibiotic treatment.

:crossfingers:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no problem!! It should help heal in 12 to 24 hours-if you have nothing else-petroleum jelly is also a possible wound protector-only if cat can't lick. but neosporin is better-it's got triple antibiotic stuff in it to fight infection where petrol jelly doesn't have antibacteria stuff in it.
The neosporin sounds good. :nurse: Apply it three(ish) times a day.

As for salt, rock salt (or even pink salt) would be best but any old table salt will do. It's very important that you clean the wounds with salty water before applying the neosporin.

I've dealt with several cat bites before and they can become very nasty indeed, so it is ever so important that you keep the area clean. I recommend your phoning your vet at the earliest opportunity to tell them about it and to see if they could maybe come to visit. If it becomes infected he'll definitely need veterinary antibiotic treatment.

:crossfingers:
Ok so apply salty water to the wound and then neosporin? How much salt should you mix in with about a half cup of water? Thanks for the extra info! And wow, 12 to 24 hours! He’ll certainly be happy about that! I’ll have to check, I’m not sure if we have coconut oil but we might

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
make it salty water like you would for gargling when a sore throat-i meant it will start to heal in 12 hours or so-it takes a few days to continue to build tissue up to repair itself but at least it will help-if it's a deep puncture wound the vet will need to flush it out and do their magic-more than we can-but for tonight-salty water rinse/syringe water over it-pat with wet clean cloth-then add neosporin/coconut oil type of product.

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
make it salty water like you would for gargling when a sore throat-i meant it will start to heal in 12 hours or so-it takes a few days to continue to build tissue up to repair itself but at least it will help-if it's a deep puncture wound the vet will need to flush it out and do their magic-more than we can-but for tonight-salty water rinse/syringe water over it-pat with wet clean cloth-then add neosporin/coconut oil type of product.
Ohh ok that makes more sense, it’s not deep at all, but I’ll still call them tomorrow. For the water, would it be like a few drops type of thing, or gently pour water over it?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to jump in, if it is ok with the others..
Great advice.

I would make a cup of warm water mixed with salt.. as you would for gargling for a sore throat.. not too salty, because it may sting. I would take a cotton ball, piece of gauze, or even a soft paper towel.. wet it, and very gently wipe the wound area.

For the salt.. any type of table salt. I would make sure it is mixed in with the water, before applying.

Then the Neosporin thing.. as foxxycat foxxycat described. She is great.. as is Brian007 Brian007 and all the other members here.

Good Luck.. do not forget to contact the Vet.. he may have other advice..
Keep us updated..

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Ohh ok that makes more sense, it’s not deep at all, but I’ll still call them tomorrow. For the water, would it be like a few drops type of thing, or gently pour water over it?
I don't remember the amount-probably 1/4 teaspoon to a cup - taste it-if it's too salty-add more water- not salty enough then add a pinch more. use luke warm water to make it dissolve better.

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to jump in, if it is ok with the others..
Great advice.

I would make a cup of warm water mixed with salt.. as you would for gargling for a sore throat.. not too salty, because it may sting. I would take a cotton ball, piece of gauze, or even a soft paper towel.. wet it, and very gently wipe the wound area.

For the salt.. any type of table salt. I would make sure it is mixed in with the water, before applying.

Then the Neosporin thing.. as foxxycat foxxycat described. She is great.. as is Brian007 Brian007 and all the other members here.

Good Luck.. do not forget to contact the Vet.. he may have other advice..
Keep us updated..
I don't remember the amount-probably 1/4 teaspoon to a cup - taste it-if it's too salty-add more water- not salty enough then add a pinch more. use luke warm water to make it dissolve better.
Thank you all for the advice! My other family members aren’t as concerned with the possibly of infection as I am, so it’s great to hear this advice! I’ll definitely keep you updated!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Edited as that was way to complicated.

Just make as though to gargle as the others have said. Use freshly boiled water and then allow it to cool would be best.

You want to soak the cotton wool in water to wash out the wound. So, much more than a few drops. Try to think how you would clean a wound on your own knee if you have fallen over on the pavement (sidewalk) and had dirt in a cut - do like this with Joey's wounds. And don't forget there's two of them.

Last edited:

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Edited as that was way to complicated.

Just make as though to gargle as the others have said. Use freshly boiled water and then allow it to cool would be best.
Ok, I’ll definitely taste it a little to make sure it’s the right consistency. Once again thank you for the advice!:thumbsup:

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Brian007 Brian007 i realized his wound is kind of scabbed over. This would make it harder to get clean wouldn’t it?

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
If its scabbed over then it should be naturally healing already. This is a very good sign.

Still ever so gently wipe the area with a soggy bit of cotton wool in salt water and leave to dry completely (for like 10 mins or so). Make sure you're so gentle and light-fingered that you do not disturb the scab. Concentrate more on the area around the scab. Then apply the cream.

:grouphug:

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If its scabbed over then it should be naturally healing already. This is a very good sign.

Still ever so gently wipe the area with a soggy bit of cotton wool in salt water and leave to dry completely (for like 10 mins or so). Make sure you're so gentle and light-fingered that you do not disturb the scab. Concentrate more on the area around the scab. Then apply the cream.

:grouphug:
Ok, and still apply the cream normally? The thing that concerns me is the pieces of hair stuck on the wound. :stars::grouphug2:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
His body will naturally push out the hair as part of the healing process. The body is good at ejecting things that don't belong inside.

How is Joey in himself? Is he bothered by his wound or showing any other signs of stress?

:catrub: