Cat Won’t Eat After Moving

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh no need to apologize. Let me explain, by checking the litter box I meant I moved around a bit of his litter but not too much. Usually when Maurice uses the litter box he covers it up with more litter so I can’t really tell if the litter box is dry because he used it and covered it up, or if he didn’t use it and it’s just dry because he isn’t using it. I’ve never really been responsible for his litter box before so maybe I’m doing something wrong or something I’m not doing?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure. Do you use clumping litter? What about his poop? Isn't it obvious to see?
I use clumping litter and scoop out the pee and poop clumps at least once a day - more if necessary.
Not saying what you are doing is wrong. Just kind of foreign to me. Bottom line is as long as you are sure he is using the litter box, that's what matters. It's a good sign that he is eating and drinking enough while he goes through this transition.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes that was the method I used to be familiar with as well until I moved in with my girlfriend at her parents house. I was very shocked to see their method which was to basically buy one bag of litter every 3 weeks and just take out all the clumps and poop at the same time. So basically instead of scooping out the poop and the clumps everyday or at least every week, they just change all of his litter every 3-4 weeks. It is not something I plan on continuing because I don’t feel that it is very hygienic. As of right now though I have not yet started scooping out anything because I don’t want to take his scent out of the room.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yikes! Three weeks of kitty waste clumps in the litter box all at the same time! I find Ruby's litter box seems "full" if I only remove the clumps once a day, instead of my typical morning and evening removals.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, a couple of the cats I have had would have started going outside the litterbox on Day 2!! With Feeby I can get away with scooping only once or twice a day because that is as frequently as she uses it.

Who has some of the links that you could provide to Maurice12 about litter box information? Just to help him out once Maurice gets acclimated to his new home? Thanks!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys so much this is very helpful. I talked about this on here before but Maurice was a very neglected cat in a house with 2 dogs. This is why I insisted on taking him with me because until I moved in no one was taking care of him. I was shocked at first when I saw the way his litter was being handled but honestly I wasn’t too surprised. Poor little Maurice has been treated very bad all his life but I plan on taking very good care of him. Just to update you guys he is now eating on time, using his litter box, out of his crate, and even meowing to make me hang out with him! He is purring, he is playing, and he’s giving me many kisses. I’m just so happy to see him back to being himself I was honestly very surprised to see the change that quick in a cat who is as old and as skittish as he is. Thank you guys so much for all your help :’)

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's come quite a ways in three days - he should be back to his old self, or better, soon.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s one super amazing cat!! Here’s a pic: