Cat Won’t Eat After Moving

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

I moved my 12 year old cat out to my new apartment today and he hasn’t been eating. It’s only been a day so far but he’s been hiding in his crate. He’s calmed down a lot more compared to yesterday but he is still petrified and hiding. I had his food out all night last night but he only nibbled on it a little bit. He also used his cat box once so far. I’m keeping all his things in a separate room and I’ve spent all day with him so far. He did eat some treats out of my hand earlier but it was in his crate and he hasn’t tried to get to his food. It’s almost time for me to feed him again now but I’m wondering how I should go about this. Should I put his food tray inside the crate so he can eat while he feels safe or should I try to get him to come out and keep the food tray out of his crate? I want him to feel safe so I’m not forcing him out or anything but I’m worried that he’ll never come out of his crate if he thinks that I’ll give him food in there. I also read that cats like to “hunt” for their food so I’m afraid that if I put it right in front of him in his crate he might continue to refuse eating. What should I do?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest leaving his favorite wet food out, leaving the room and shutting the door. I think he will calm down faster if he is left alone to explore a small space. Since it probably isn’t usual for you to sit near him for a full day and he is probably feeling distrustful because of the move, I would give him some alone time. Perfectly okay to visit him a few times though. Once he seems to be moving around the room then open the door and let him explore further. If he usually sleeps with you at night, then I would make the bedroom his safe room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually finally got him to eat some of his food!! I did what you said and left him alone for a bit but I’ve been checking up on him and giving him treats. He still refuses to come out of his crate so the last time I went to see him I decided to give him some treats and put his food tray inside the crate and suddenly he started eating!! Sadly someone outside the room started making noise and he got spooked and stopped eating :( Still it’s better than nothing so I’m just really thankful that he finally ate something! I left the food tray in the crate for a little but he didn’t seem to be going back for seconds so now it’s back outside the crate. I’m hoping that since he ate a little it’ll motivate him to use the cat box at some point in the night while it’s quiet. I also turned off the lights in his room since he seems to be more comfortable in the dark but I’m not sure if I should keep it that way. Thank you so much for your advice and please please let me know if you know of anything else I can do to help him through this.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as he is eating something, he will be fine. I would set any food you bring him outside the crate so he has some incentive to get up and out.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming that his bed and cat tree(s) are in the room with him - how about putting a little of your laundry in there too? There is a good chance that the room smells like a prior animal. Also, at night set out a couple of piles of treats so you know if he is getting out of his crate at all.

I recently moved my two boys who were about 18 months, and it took them two days to settle down and about a week to get more like themselves.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His bed and everything else is in the room with him but he hasn’t come out of the crate to use any of it :( I also put my blanket and another old blanket in that room with him but he hasn’t really responded to it. I will for sure try the laundry idea though thank you! He did end up eating a full meal last night and about half of his meal this morning so I feel like he’s slowly making progress. I’m just afraid that something will happen and he’ll just coil back again but so far so good. I’m trying to be very careful with him. Thank you so much for your advice!! Let me know if you know of anything else I can do to help him :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've just come across this thread. Glad to see Maurice is eating. That's the important thing. Well, and litter box use, too.

Then you can concentrate on getting him relaxed/comfortable in his new home.

This article is for new cats, but might have some tips for you.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that article! Definitely needed to read the part about being patient haha. I’m just so proud of him because I think he’s doing so well for his first ever move and everyone in my family keeps asking me how he is and they don’t seem that impressed when I say ‘he finished his food tray clean!’ I just feel so excited about that and hopefully he continues to keep eating on routine. I’m not really sure if he’s using the litter box but I’ve been leaving him alone if he chooses to do so. My only fear is that he might not be cleaning under his tail since he doesn’t have the room to stretch out like that in his crate and I’m worried he’ll get an infection up there :( I don’t know I hope I’m just being anxious and that doesn’t end up happening. He’s been grooming himself but I just really don’t think he’s been able to clean under his tail yet. I just hope he doesn’t think he’s trapped in the crate I want him to know that he can come out whenever he wishes.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe try enticing him out of the crate with treats, or something else irresistible. :yummy:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could you maybe find a bit bigger but confined space to replace his crate? A huge cardboard box, placed upside down with an entry point, or something similar? Place familiar things in it and set it next to the crate - and show it to him. And, hopefully it is big enough to perhaps place some food in it as well. He could kind of move to the next, larger space of his transition.

Also, I am sure you would know, but make sure he is not using his crate as a litterbox. If he is eating, and drinking, he is going to have to go - sooner than later.

Leaving him alone to finally explore at least one room is good, but if he is used to your presence, you need to find a way to spend some serious amount of time in that room - just your presence; you don't have to be 'bugging' him every minute.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm that’s a really good idea I’m definitely going to try getting a large cardboard box for him. I did spend all day with him yesterday and I did my normal activities in there with him like eating and taking a nap but I’m not sure if it helped at all. It was only at night after a few hours of me leaving him alone that he finally let me feed him in his crate. This morning he ate while he was alone all on his own. I’m just not sure exactly what he wants at this point I’m not sure if he likes the alone time or prefers my company. He’s always preferred using his litter box in private but out of my family I’m the only one who he ever trusted enough to be in the same room with him as he used to cat box. I’m just not sure if he still holds that trust or if he feels betrayed by me right now. The last thing I wanna do is push him into doing something he doesn’t want and have him stop eating again. I really just hope that he’s still using the cat box and pooping because the last thing I wanna do is put him through the trauma of going to see the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's going to be slow, but it sounds encouraging. The big thing is that it sounds like he really does want to eat. Just keep an eye out on the litter box issue. He's going to have to go! And, I didn't say it, but be sure he is drinking also.

If you're going to get one big cardboard box, maybe another that can 'hide' his litter box nearby? I don't know if he has a covered litterbox now, so maybe that is not an issue.

He may not be happy with his new environment yet, but I am willing to bet he still trusts you.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for saying that I really truly hope he still trusts me and honestly at this point I just miss him so much I’m so used to him dropping everything and always coming to my aid but I know I’ve put him through extreme stress so I have to be very patient. His litterbox is covered so hopefully he doesn’t have any issue there. I just hope he’s using it at least once every night

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I cannot imagine that he doesn't still trust you - seriously.

But, also seriously, and no offense intended, who is checking his litterbox? Maybe he is used to having a lot of 'stuff' in there, but maybe now is not the time to let that aspect stay the same - at least until you can detect whether or not he is using it close to what would be normal.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no seriously no offense taken any advice you have is super appreciated. His litter box didn’t use to get checked very often and I do plan on changing that since it’s finally my responsibility now but I’m trying to wait til he’s comfortable. Although his litter was replaced just a few days before we moved him, I’m not sure if enough time has passed for me to change it again just yet. What I am worried about is that he does know that his scent is all in there so if I were to change the litter then I’m afraid he might see it as another ‘new’ thing and become even more afraid of it. What do you think?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don’t feel you did anything wrong. Some cats are just a bit more nervous or dramatic about big changes. I had one who was just a perfect, adaptable, easygoing cat and seemed to be unfazed the move to our new house. Did just fine that first day but in the middle of the first night she backed her fanny over to my hip and peed all over me. Message delivered she never did it again and was her usual happy self in the morning.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh no seriously no offense taken any advice you have is super appreciated. His litter box didn’t use to get checked very often and I do plan on changing that since it’s finally my responsibility now but I’m trying to wait til he’s comfortable. Although his litter was replaced just a few days before we moved him, I’m not sure if enough time has passed for me to change it again just yet. What I am worried about is that he does know that his scent is all in there so if I were to change the litter then I’m afraid he might see it as another ‘new’ thing and become even more afraid of it. What do you think?
Thanks! Glad no offense taken. I would, however, just check the litter and see if you think you see what you would normally see after this time. It doesn't mean you have to change it now, but you do need to know if he is using the box. If you see what you think is normal, all good at this point.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve been checking and it does look pretty normal as of right now. Maybe once I see some sign of him using the box, I’ll change the litter. Thanks so much for all your help!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok! But, you saying you're checking the litterbox and it looks ok, but you're still saying you're looking for signs he's used it? I am sure I am misunderstanding... sorry.