Cat meowing and yowling all night- it’s driving us insane!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think if I was on the other end of a meeting and heard someone’s cat, I’d ask them to show their cat😆
It would be debatable if he let himself be shown at that point. Frequently my wife's clients joke that they have a "fuzzy snake" as Magnus's orange tail can be seen coming up from the bottom of the camera. They love seeing him. He's trouble.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No screaming last night AT ALL. ZERO. He slept ALL NIGHT, and I got to keep my precious 30 min of sleep . He even stayed in his bed after hearing cats fighting outside👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 un-neutered Aslan would have done otherwise.

i guess you (all) are right. I’ll give it more time, I mean he literally JUST got neutered 3 days ago.In my experience, when my female cat was spayed she was still in heat. But the days after that (even the same day she got fixed) she was no longer calling out. So I was expecting the same with Aslan.
This is great! I hope this continues!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
did you ever see the cats who got into a play fight during the lockdown when the weatherman was trying to do his segment from home?
Haha, I hadn't seen that. I especially liked how when the weather graphics were put up on the screen, you could still hear the yowls in the background.

That white cat is a big boy/girl.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I don't do Zoom meetings but I did have a virtual visit with my nuerosurgen for an upcoming surgery I have to have and my Mignon took that moment to let me know he's the world's greatest Mouser dropping his prize on my laptop key board and loudly proclaiming his victory before my youngest female Dora came up smacked him grabbed the mouse and took off apparently he stole her mouse I had to pause the appointment so I could flush the mouse. (they are allowed to catch and kill but not eat mice.) we live one block from the tracks with a vacant lot to the right and vacant house behind it, mice are a never ending issue. My Mignon age 9 (ignore the date stamp the camera was messed up. It was taken March 6 this year camera died shortly their after)
FB_IMG_1681958351071.jpg

As far as yowling goes I suggest noise cancelling headphones if it continues lol my Mignon had been known to sing at night or ense start faux fights with his son Royal(5) both if whom are neutered fights aren't serious just roughhousing.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
cmshap cmshap A Alldara did you ever see the cats who got into a play fight during the lockdown when the weatherman was trying to do his segment from home? 🤣
I hadn't no! During lockdown I was in legal education, so the lawyer as a cat on Zoom court got passed around a lot.

Before using anything nose cancelling, ensure cat proofing is in tact. Magnus will try to do dangerous things if he knows how howling won't get me up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Aslan stopped his meowing/ howling now. :) now the only thing he does is hump his bed or blanket.…. I REALLY hope he stops though.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aslan stopped his meowing/ howling now. :) now the only thing he does is hump his bed or blanket.…. I REALLY hope he stops though.
How often is he doing that? Is it less frequent than before the neutering?

If it is just his own bed, I would consider that an improvement from using other things around the house.

Like everyone has said, hormones are still adjusting. There is time for it to stop. Glad to hear the howling stopped.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
How often is he doing that? Is it less frequent than before the neutering?

If it is just his own bed, I would consider that an improvement from using other things around the house.

Like everyone has said, hormones are still adjusting. There is time for it to stop. Glad to hear the howling stopped.
I would say about the same. My husband says he does this only when I’m home, because He doesn’t do it when it’s just him there. Every time I go in my room he follows me, and he jumps on my bed and starts mounting his blanket or bed. I have his bed on top of mine because that was the only way that he’d lay in it. He’s always slept with us since the beginning. 😅

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband says he does this only when I’m home, because He doesn’t do it when it’s just him there. Every time I go in my room he follows me, and he jumps on my bed and starts mounting his blanket or bed.
Interesting. I've always believed there's a conflation of sexual urges and general affection going on in these circumstances.

I was living with my mom when we rescued Willy at a young age, and he lived with both of us for a year before I took him with me when I moved out. We had to delay neutering him due to other health issues, so once he started humping, we had to live with it for a while.

Despite my mom and I both giving him tons of love and attention, he bonded with me the most, and would follow me from room to room, etc. He'd spend time on both of our laps, and sometimes lap time would lead to leg-humping. But he only ever humped my leg, never my mom's.

It sounds like Aslan has extra affection for you, and conflates that with whatever leftover sex hormones are still in his system.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting. I've always believed there's a conflation of sexual urges and general affection going on in these circumstances.

I was living with my mom when we rescued Willy at a young age, and he lived with both of us for a year before I took him with me when I moved out. We had to delay neutering him due to other health issues, so once he started humping, we had to live with it for a while.

Despite my mom and I both giving him tons of love and attention, he bonded with me the most, and would follow me from room to room, etc. He'd spend time on both of our laps, and sometimes lap time would lead to leg-humping. But he only ever humped my leg, never my mom's.

It sounds like Aslan has extra affection for you, and conflates that with whatever leftover sex hormones are still in his system.
Yes, I know for a fact he’s more attached to me. Since his momma showed up and brought him to me. He was afraid of me but would sometimes approach me “with caution”.
Aslan had fallen in the neighbors pool TWICE. Both times I pulled him out. The first time I heard his momma crying out, and sounded like she was in distress. I looked out my window and Aslan was floating in the pool trying to get out. I ran outside as fast as I could and pulled him out. He of course hissed at me (kitten hisses are always cute and funny). But after The second time, I noticed a change in his behavior towards me. He seemed more relaxed, like he trusted me a little more. He would voluntarily come in to my house just as long as I was a few feet away from the door. He seemed more confident when his momma would be around though. I had set up a little bed for them outside and I would always check up on them before calling it a night. One night as I turned to walk back in the house he ran behind me and wanted to come inside, which I let him. From then on he was just more attached to me. He would come up to me, rub on me, “chirp”, and climb on me to sleep. He would also make bisquits. His momma house hopped from home to the neighbors a few houses down, but Aslan stayed behind. & we just took him in. Now he’s legally mine hahaha

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Update (Saturday)

I have noticed that today Aslan has been humping less frequently. Usually He would make biscuits WHILE humping every time, but today he would mostly knead then lie down, and very few times would he knead and hump— a change that we have noticed and even pointed out.

The screaming has minimized by a lot. I can say he’s may be only done it twice. It does not annoy us because he doesn’t cry that loud anymore.

His incision site looks great, and healing nicely. He doesn’t really lick himself like I was worried he would. Next weekend I have to take him back to the vet to get his second dose of deworming treatment, and the week after that for his booster shots.

Also, he looks funny walking around with his bald butt (where the vet shaved him). 😅

066A8EF6-3540-458D-BBE4-3A944D602341.jpeg

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I got Aslan his little tag with his name on it.

7387ADD1-D627-4564-81C6-F4263137C459.jpeg

A35F62E7-65A5-4999-8C9C-56B439ECEE6B.jpeg

And then there’s this.
I mean, if he runs away, that would actually be an a-hole thing of him to do, right? 🤣
(This is meant for laughs. I sure hope he never runs away or gets lost. But should it happen, I hope whoever finds him gets a laugh out of it and calls my number.)
A6F8CA2B-E859-4B87-B82A-45503621B8C9.jpeg

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
This is AWESOME 🤣
I’ve seen one that said “Got lost looking for b*****es. Call (phone #).” But I felt like that wouldn’t apply because he is no longer an outdoor cat. The “I am a-hole” fit perfectly because that’s just an a-hole thing to do if he knows darn well we are giving him a good life 😂

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have noticed that today Aslan has been humping less frequently. Usually He would make biscuits WHILE humping every time, but today he would mostly knead then lie down, and very few times would he knead and hump— a change that we have noticed and even pointed out.
How is the humping frequency now?

I noticed the same thing with Willy. First of all, humping ALWAYS started with kneading (I've made this joke before... but all male cats seem to have Oedipal mommy issues 😅). But after neutering, the frequency of humping reduced drastically.

I mentioned before that he still humps, but it's much less often than before. And most kneading is just kneading now.

He doesn't hump my leg anymore, as I put a stop to that. When he does hump, it is the arm of the couch most of the time. But not a regular thing, just once in a while.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
How is the humping frequency now?

I noticed the same thing with Willy. First of all, humping ALWAYS started with kneading (I've made this joke before... but all male cats seem to have Oedipal mommy issues 😅). But after neutering, the frequency of humping reduced drastically.

I mentioned before that he still humps, but it's much less often than before. And most kneading is just kneading now.

He doesn't hump my leg anymore, as I put a stop to that. When he does hump, it is the arm of the couch most of the time. But not a regular thing, just once in a while.
The humping has not stopped 😔
We’re going on week 2 post-neuter. I still have hope it stops. If it doesn’t, I’ll still love him of course. Lol but I really want him to stop though. I miss when he’d just knead and purr. Now he kneads, purrs and humps 😫

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise