Cat meowing and yowling all night- it’s driving us insane!

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I have a male un-neutered cat who meows all night long because he wants to be let out. Yes, I will have him neutered. His neuter appointment is next Sunday at 7 am. At first he was an outdoor-indoor cat, but I was able to convince my husband to keep him strictly indoors with supervised (leashed) outdoor freedom. The issue I am having is that at night he meows and yowls all night trying to get out and it’s keeping us up. We both have to get up at 5 am to go to work, and lately I have not been getting enough sleep because he is constantly meowing. He has interactive toys and I play with him before bed time but that does not seem to be working. Unfortunately, he doesn’t understand that keeping him indoors is safer for him. I don’t want him out there getting in to fights, run the risk of getting run over, fall in to the hands of evil people, or reproducing and adding to the population of homeless cats. Thankfully, he is getting neutered next weekend and I am hoping he will mellow out then. Going back to outdoors is not an option, so please no suggestions like that. I need suggestions or advice on how I can help him adjust to the indoor only life and how this meowing and howling can stop. I’ve caught myself almost falling asleep during work hours so this really needs to stop. It’s been 3 weeks now. I thought he would get over it by now.

Things I’ve tried:
- leaving food and water
- ignoring him
- playing with him
- leaving out his toys
- getting interactive toys
- bring him to bed with us
- kicking him out of our room because he meows and yowls while we’re asleep. He ends up scratching and crying at the door and we end up letting him back in and the meowing and howling continues.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I agree, this will likely get better after two things happen:

(1) He is neutered and the hormonal changes happen over time.

(2) He gets used to the fact that he is indoor-only now, which will also take time.

Keep playing with him at night -- and play to literal exhaustion. Like to the point he plops down on the floor and refuses to continue. Also, try feeding a meal right before bed.

Those things can help, but might not completely solve the issue. This may just require waiting it out.

Also, good for you for bringing him inside permanently. That was definitely the right move.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to put him in a separate room at night until after he's neutered your doing the right thing playing before bed and like cmshap cmshap has said a big meal after play. Unfortunately until he's used to being indoors and those hormones leave his body he may still cry and howl. Just thinking if he's in a different room at night maybe it will be easier to ignore him, as long as he has what he needs litter, food and water he'll be okay. Just remember to cat proof any room he's in if you decide to do this. Hope you get a good night's sleep soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess I’m going to have to deal with this for another week then 😓 oh yeah, I have also tried placing him in a different room. But because it’s right across from ours we can still hear him. I can also hear him scratching and clawing at the window. We keep all doors and windows closed. I just want next Sunday to come already.

this is him sleeping comfortably without shame after keeping us up all night.
FC38D9EE-AD59-45C7-AC2D-2D53E26FE56B.jpeg

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I’m going to have to deal with this for another week then 😓 oh yeah, I have also tried placing him in a different room. But because it’s right across from ours we can still hear him. I can also hear him scratching and clawing at the window. We keep all doors and windows closed. I just want next Sunday to come already.

this is him sleeping comfortably without shame after keeping us up all night.
View attachment 447248
Yep that's cat's for you no shame at all. But I have to say he's adorable and eventually he'll settle down.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I’m going to have to deal with this for another week then 😓
Unfortunately, it could likely be longer than just one week. Like I and others have said, there's some time as the hormonal changes happen, and he also just keeps getting used to the fact that he's an indoor cat now.

Pets can come with annoying strings attached, but the positive aspects they bring to our lives make them worth it.

You are doing all the right things. Keep at it... he is very likely to improve. He might not entirely get over it, though. My cat, who I rescued from outside, still meows by the front door occasionally. But it is MUCH less frequently than in the beginning of his life.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope so. This is the first time in 5 years that I lack sleep since my daughter was born. Except instead of having a crying newborn, I have a crying 1 year old cat :lol: he is such a sweet boy. He’s very affectionate and loves attention but this little phase we are going through with him is driving us crazy for now. Has anybody Feliway? I heard it helps calm cats down. I know it won’t necessarily calm him down completely.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so. This is the first time in 5 years that I lack sleep since my daughter was born. Except instead of having a crying newborn, I have a crying 1 year old cat :lol:
I like the spider theme, and collar. What's his name?

Having a pet should be like having a kid, if you are doing it right. Just as obnoxious but just as wonderful.

I resisted the urge for a long, long time to refer to myself as my cat's "dad" because if feels silly, but that's exactly who I have turned into over the last 8 years with him.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I like the spider theme, and collar. What's his name?

Having a pet should be like having a kid, if you are doing it right. Just as obnoxious but just as wonderful.

I resisted the urge for a long, long time to refer to myself as my cat's "dad" because if feels silly, but that's exactly who I have turned into over the last 8 years with him.
His name is Aslan. :)
No judgement. I tell my cat “come to mommy” or “mommy is here” when I come home. I also tell my daughter that the cat is her “brother”. LOL

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I used Feliway Optimum and believe it helped somewhat with anxiety about a new cat coming into the house. However, in the case of Aslan wanting to go out on the town for the night, I don't know that you will get much help from it. If you do try it, read the square footage recommendation for the room that it is used in as it can't be put in small spaces where it becomes too concentrated.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anybody Feliway? I heard it helps calm cats down. I know it won’t necessarily calm him down completely.
I tried it for a while, for separation anxiety.

I was actually getting complaints from neighboring apartments in my building because of Willy's yowling while I was out at work.

I live in a one-bedroom apartment, with somewhat limited space (although it's large for a one-bedroom apartment). And I saturated the apartment. But it didn't help at all.

Of course, this is only my one cat, who is just one anecdote, so I can't comment on how well Feliway works in general.

I do agree with a previous comment that Feliway, or any other measure, is likely to be inconclusive as to its effectiveness until after Aslan is neutered and has spent more time inside.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have used both regular feliway and feliway multicat formula.
I do find a reduction of anxiety in my own cats. They often seek the Feliway room out to sleep in as well.

They are both neutered males though.

You can try leaving some food enrichment or something out overnight as well. There's lots of DIY videos on YouTube.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The way I got my cat to stop waking me up was by playing dead. Once I'm in bed, I don't get up until the alarm clock goes off. She learned after about a month that no amount of whining gets her attention. Now, she still comes to bed, but she just curls up and purrs. The down side is I don't sleep in on weekends any more. 6am she's rubbing on my feet looking for play time and breakfast.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way I got my cat to stop waking me up was by playing dead. Once I'm in bed, I don't get up until the alarm clock goes off. She learned after about a month that no amount of whining gets her attention.
This is all good advice, however, I really doubt anything is going to apply with maximum likelihood to an unneutered, indoor male.

Follow this good advice after the procedure is completed. As a non-vet, non-cat-expert, I think I can still safely say, it WILL take an annoying amount of time to correct this behavior.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
You guys, he did it again last night. And to top it off there was another cat meowing outside so that definitely drove him even crazier. It’s starting to become frustrating. I even woke up with a light head ache. 😂

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys, he did it again last night. And to top it off there was another cat meowing outside so that definitely drove him even crazier. It’s starting to become frustrating. I even woke up with a light head ache. 😂
I hate to say it, but this is just part of having a cat. Frustration with any pet is part of the experience.

Hang in there... it will very likely get better.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh goodness.
How many more days until his neuter?

Are there many strays in your area?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness.
How many more days until his neuter?

Are there many strays in your area?
I've never lived anywhere with strays. Except for my cat Willy who was the only stray in my area who randomly showed up outside my door.

In a stray-heavy area, why would they sit outside meowing?

I'm just curious about this.